Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Technical BBS > 1- Porsche Technical Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
Drove the Nürburgring... unfortunately not in my own car

I just wanted to share this with you guys although I didn't have my 930.

I have been living in London for a year and the 930 is waiting back home in Canada.
I could not be here without driving the Nürburgring event if it meant renting a 150hp sub compact race car to do it. (the car was actually pretty well setup except for the underpowered engine, it had modified suspension, exhaust, R tyres, stripped interior, racing seats and 4-point harnesses)

What a track! I don't think any of the videos posted on youtube really prepare you for the fun (and fear) you can have there. And the drive on the autobahn to get to the track is great fun as well!

14 miles long, 73 turns and most of them blind, it is at the same time a blast to drive and a constant challenge trying to remember which turn comes next, how fast can I take it while being careful of upcoming really fast traffic (BMW Ring taxi, Aston Martin Ring taxi, various GT3, Ferrari and race cars with a number plate on them like the Radical) as well as slow traffic as it was a Touristenfahrt (public driving) day.

Not the safe track day we are used to with PCA or Turn2 however, we must have seen no less than 8 crashes during the day, some were cars, some motorcycles causing numerous yellow flags...

The beauty of the track is also somewhat distracting so having laps as a passenger is great fun and allows you to appreciate the view of the twisting road through the forest and massive elevation changes. The uphill sections were difficult on the small Suzuki; if you don't carry enough speed coming into the hill, you're left lugging your way up. A 930 would have been right at its place on that track. Long uphill sections allowing it to spread its long gears and playing a waste gate and turbo song to the driver and numerous spectators...

Anyway, I highly recommend going to anybody going to Germany. We went to the Porsche museum in Stuttgart the day before and that is another excellent place to go if you get a chance, really well presented exhibitions of both the street cars history and parallel 24h Lemans cars.

Enjoy a small picture of the small "race car" we had and let me know if you want any advice on planning a trip or just want to chat about it.

Cheers

David
1985 Black 930, K27 7006, Garretson Intercooler, Adj boost, TB: 23 - 31mm, bielstein sport shocks, ER polybronze bushings front and rear, ER monoball joints front and rear with offset camber plates, 935 X triangulated strut brace, raised spindles, racing bump steer kit
1981 Black 911sc (sold)

Last edited by Roby466; 08-07-2014 at 06:46 AM..
Old 08-07-2014, 05:09 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Prrrrrrreeetttycool...

I hope I can make it sometime.. Thanks for sharing!
Old 08-07-2014, 05:25 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Garage
David , I hate to say it but those swifts are pretty nice cars . Pisses me off I can't get one here in the USA every where else in the world but not here . Besides the under powered motor it is just like a go cart when set up correctly . Got to track one in Malaysia and it was fun , everyone with any power passed me but tracks real nice if you keep the speed up through corners .
But the "Ring" you dog must have been fun ... some day I hope to get there big dream for me

Kozmo
Old 08-07-2014, 05:42 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Garage
Awesome congrats! This is a bucket list thing for me for sure! I'd love to get a ride around in a ring taxi driven by Sabine Schmidt.
Old 08-07-2014, 06:52 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Garage
Sabine is quite the legend you're right. I think BMW decided to let her go partly because she was only available some days as she is an active racer as well. They now use BMW driving instructors from their school if I read it right... However, Sabine was a true Nürburgring girl, that's where she grew up. She had set the track record when she was just 19, that's pretty impressive

These small Swifts are really fun you're right. Everywhere I read said not to take anything too powerful for the first time at the Ring and I think it was a good idea to stick to the Swift. (I would have had to go two car levels higher to get another manual transmission) The deposit for any other car was much higher. Driving in the Carrousel (where the picture was taken), you could really feel the car's suspension work hard, it was my first time with a Carrousel banked as steep as that, it lets you carry a lot of speed but you don't want to track up and get out of the banked portion before the end

By the way, if anybody is thinking of doing it, the guys at Rent4Ring are quite helpful when planning the trip and you have to stay at the Dorint-Hotel am Nürburgring, it is on the Grand Prix track and the ambiance is definitely the best for the event.
1985 Black 930, K27 7006, Garretson Intercooler, Adj boost, TB: 23 - 31mm, bielstein sport shocks, ER polybronze bushings front and rear, ER monoball joints front and rear with offset camber plates, 935 X triangulated strut brace, raised spindles, racing bump steer kit
1981 Black 911sc (sold)

Last edited by Roby466; 08-07-2014 at 11:52 PM..
Old 08-07-2014, 10:27 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: