Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by porche View Post

. . . Better yet, original or a decent repaint, leave it to an expert - unless you don’t give a ***t about your car.
Oh man, that's hilarious (in an "utter hogwash" sort of way, of course).

Last edited by Ronnie's.930; 09-23-2014 at 06:30 PM..
Old 09-23-2014, 06:26 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #21 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronnie's.930 View Post
Oh man, that's hilarious (in an "utter hogwash" sort of way, of course).

Thought hog wash was 2 words - hellarious!
Old 09-23-2014, 06:46 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #22 (permalink)

I believe that's its a reaction of the solvent and the galvanizing ! My car has less then fifty miles always inside coved with a car cover and it has the same areas of defective paint as all these cars with original paint has .
Old 09-23-2014, 07:33 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #23 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1979 930 View Post
I believe that's its a reaction of the solvent and the galvanizing ! My car has less then fifty miles always inside coved with a car cover and it has the same areas of defective paint as all these cars with original paint has .
Ed,

+1

All early 3.3 930's that still have their original paint have it. It is a result of the process.

Bud
Old 09-23-2014, 08:51 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #24 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miguel Antonett View Post
Prrrrrreeeettycool!

BTW, my car started to develop orange peel about 15 yrs ago..., it began on the rear flares welds, then the front flares, then a section of the passenger door and just began on the roof behind the sunroof opening. At the Savanah Parade in 2011, I showed the car to the Porsche paint guru (German ???), he loved the car and told me DO NOTHING, that's real original single stage paint patina that, back then (1978), was totally unknown to Porsche. He mentioned that to "really get rid of it" you need to go bare metal... but the car would loose great value.
M2c.
Quote:
Originally Posted by onboost View Post
Misconception with this term, cars don't develop orange peel. The term refers to the finish as painted, typically from the factory (look at some of the later model Corvettes) or during the re-paint process. It is an effect of how the paint lays down. The car either has it or it does not..

If something develops later on, especially the timeline you describe, then it is chemical/bonding issue, or checking as we like to call it.

Solvent pop is usually seen on cars that have been repainted or touched-up as certain chemicals may have not been given enough time to fully dry/evaporate.

The German paint guru was correct in that to get rid of it you have to go pare metal. What you describe could be a paint reaction to lead over a period of time as a bare metal refinish will show metal finishing on seams etc.. on the early cars. No polyester fillers etc..
Quote:
Originally Posted by voitureltd View Post
Yea, so much for those who think their early 930 has original paint ( many don't ). Not due to misuse just in the process of getting it right at the hallowed Porsche factory which was staffed by people in the learning curve of that time.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1979 930 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by porche View Post
Ed,

+1

All early 3.3 930's that still have their original paint have it. It is a result of the process.

Bud
So, do we leave it as is, or possibly go the wetsand route?
14 535i M Sport
Old 09-23-2014, 09:45 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #25 (permalink)

^^^this thread - among others - shows how much we really know about our cars... which is prrrrrrreeeeettycool, identifying who's right, wrong, BS or just opinionated... I leave mine alone... call it patina/orange peel/just old... love it the way it is.
Old 09-24-2014, 04:10 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #26 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by WPOZZZ View Post
So, do we leave it as is, or possibly go the wetsand route?
You can't wet-sand solvent pop or checking.. you're looking at a repair/spot painting and/or a blend on the area.

Quote:
^^^this thread - among others - shows how much we really know about our cars... which is prrrrrrreeeeettycool, identifying who's right, wrong, BS or just opinionated... I leave mine alone... call it patina/orange peel/just old... love it the way it is.
Good call Miguel, love it as is and leave it alone.. your car is Purdy anyway, I wouldn't touch it!
RGruppe #180
So many cars.. so little time!!
Old 09-24-2014, 05:06 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #27 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Quote:
You can't wet-sand solvent pop or checking.. you're looking at a repair/spot painting and/or a blend on the area.
Good call Miguel, love it as is and leave it alone.. your car is Purdy anyway, I wouldn't touch it!
Exactly Gentlemen. I think an early 3.0 or 3.3 930 with original paint is a very scarce car - certainly more so than most people give them credit for. This will likely reflect in values as owners/buyers become more educated on this point - it is only a matter of time.
Old 09-24-2014, 08:38 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #28 (permalink)

Quote:

I hate looking at that peel, but I think I will leave it alone. A friend has a mocha brown turbo like Miguel's, but he repainted it black because of the peel. He's had the car since it had 1500 miles.
14 535i M Sport
Old 09-24-2014, 02:26 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #29 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by WPOZZZ View Post
I hate looking at that peel, but I think I will leave it alone. A friend has a mocha brown turbo like Miguel's, but he repainted it black because of the peel. He's had the car since it had 1500 miles.
I would hate looking at it, too, and would have to take care of it one way or another (even if that meant a full repaint - wouldn't give two ****s about lessoned originality, etc). Patina is just an alternative way of saying "looks like shat"!

BTW, if what you have is actually orange peel, and not the factory f-up of improper painting over galvanizing, then orange peel in single stage paint cleans up very nicely with color sanding and buffing. The process is also DIY friendly if you have some mechanical sense, are not in a hurry, and are willing to read-up on the steps involved (or talk directly to someone with experience). You need to have a random orbital buffer, of course.

Last edited by Ronnie's.930; 09-24-2014 at 03:43 PM..
Old 09-24-2014, 03:14 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #30 (permalink)

I used a shop that did Porsche dealer repairs in the 70s for southeastern WI. After even a few years there was paint repair under warranty. As I recall most of it was for the clear coat hazing and cracking after use in very cold winter and parked in the hot summer sun combo 125 degree climate change may have caused these problems? They did change the paint formula when the later repairs were performed as I recall. The shop owner also did the local major collectors cars and was really fussy ( I could tell stories about his level of perfection including not putting together his new unassembled MB Gullwing that he bought off the assembly line when production ceased in 57 as zinc chromate primer was not projected to last over 200 years at the time).On another note I do have a 33K mile 79 color code 30t ( light blue metallic clear coat ) which is almost free of the defects being discussed. It was a new color for 79 so maybe a new paint formula was used and that is why no problems so far. It was always extremely carefully used, even sheepskin covers on seats, big bra for trips and dash cover for sun and a cover if outside for a brief visit.

Last edited by voitureltd; 09-25-2014 at 08:05 AM..
Old 09-25-2014, 07:35 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #31 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronnie's.930 View Post
I would hate looking at it, too, and would have to take care of it one way or another (even if that meant a full repaint - wouldn't give two ****s about lessoned originality, etc). Patina is just an alternative way of saying "looks like shat"!

BTW, if what you have is actually orange peel, and not the factory f-up of improper painting over galvanizing, then orange peel in single stage paint cleans up very nicely with color sanding and buffing. The process is also DIY friendly if you have some mechanical sense, are not in a hurry, and are willing to read-up on the steps involved (or talk directly to someone with experience). You need to have a random orbital buffer, of course.
Truly, I'm actually surprised at the number of cars/owners that tout that they have original paint.. as many of them bought their cars thinking such. However, a lot of these cars have had a quality repaint at the hands of the first, or another owner as frankly, the paint on the 70s and early to mid 80's cars wasn't really that great and many of them had issues and thus repainted the cars.. not really a bad thing.

Don't get me wrong, while I appreciate great original paint, if you can find it.. I'm not that crazy about weird imperfections, other than maybe a few stone chips because its been driven. I've done the concours thing with Ferrari, Porsche, and BMW where I served as the concurs chairman for 14yrs.. let me tell you, all the fuss over perfection gets old, and I'd rather drive my Sh** as opposed to stare at it.

That being said, I've also had my hands in enough full and partial restorations, and repairs to know what's underneath and what it will take to correct some.

And as Ronnie said above, if its actually orange peel, be it single stage or base clear, it will clean up nicely with a proper wetsand and buff. If its single stage the wetsand needs to be done lightly, just enough to smooth the orange texture.. cause you don't want to sand through the paint. With base/clear you got a lot more room to play with, if you happen to sand through the clear, a good painter can blend and you'll never know the difference. The trick is to be able to tell when you've done so.
RGruppe #180
So many cars.. so little time!!
Old 09-25-2014, 08:17 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #32 (permalink)

I used peel as a generic term. I believe it is actually the galvanizing.
14 535i M Sport
Old 09-25-2014, 03:08 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #33 (permalink)

Quote:
Truly, I'm actually surprised at the number of cars/owners that tout that they have original paint.. as many of them bought their cars thinking such. However, a lot of these cars have had a quality repaint at the hands of the first, or another owner as frankly, the paint on the 70s and early to mid 80's cars wasn't really that great and many of them had issues and thus repainted the cars.. not really a bad thing.

Don't get me wrong, while I appreciate great original paint, if you can find it.. I'm not that crazy about weird imperfections, other than maybe a few stone chips because its been driven. I've done the concours thing with Ferrari, Porsche, and BMW where I served as the concurs chairman for 14yrs.. let me tell you, all the fuss over perfection gets old, and I'd rather drive my Sh** as opposed to stare at it.

That being said, I've also had my hands in enough full and partial restorations, and repairs to know what's underneath and what it will take to correct some.
Well said and spot on from my experience.
Old 09-26-2014, 10:54 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #34 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: