Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Registered

Garage
Thanks Cole/ Cole Air Intake

Old 09-23-2014, 07:34 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Registered

Prrrrrreeeeeettycool!

So, you believe on that inverted cone function, what is it about it?
Old 09-24-2014, 07:46 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
Brando

Garage
Wait, what?
Old 09-24-2014, 10:48 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
Chain fence eating turbo

What's it sound like?
Old 09-24-2014, 11:31 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miguel Antonett View Post
Prrrrrreeeeeettycool!

So, you believe on that inverted cone function, what is it about it?
Looks like it's supposed to help spread the incoming airflow out a little so it flows over the edges of the round sensor plate better. Maybe it works maybe it makes no difference. I wonder if anyone ever did a dyno test with it and without it... I doubt it.

If you put a round K&N air cleaner on the air flow meter housing then air is coming in from 360 degrees all the way around. Seems like that would be best in all respects.
Old 09-24-2014, 12:33 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
Registered

^^^I'm with you, but there is another trend of thoughts as you mentioned... and Tadman definitely believes it. Regardless, it makes you wonder why Porsche put it there to start with. I did some testing a while back with the round K&N vs. OEM = no significant difference in power or torque but liked the free access and sound of the K&N.
Old 09-25-2014, 07:25 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

WHOA...............

luv the fuel lines setup!!!!

Walt
Old 09-25-2014, 07:36 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFairman View Post
Looks like it's supposed to help spread the incoming airflow out a little so it flows over the edges of the round sensor plate better. Maybe it works maybe it makes no difference. I wonder if anyone ever did a dyno test with it and without it... I doubt it.

If you put a round K&N air cleaner on the air flow meter housing then air is coming in from 360 degrees all the way around. Seems like that would be best in all respects.
Yes we did a dyno tune with a aftermarket air cleaner housing which was on the car when I got it.. My shop wanted me to go back to a stock air cleaner as they felt the cone was important with CIS. It did improve the HP . It has been quite awhile but I think it was around 6 hp.
I think Porsche always has reason for what they put into a build.
Old 09-25-2014, 08:13 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by voitureltd View Post
I think Porsche always has reason for what they put into a build.
Like the choosing to use Dilivar head studs, and even continuing to use them for many years after it became clear that they were garbage?
Old 09-25-2014, 08:42 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)
Chain fence eating turbo

The 993TT Dilavars are great. But yes, the IMS bearing in the M96 996/997 engines were a disaster!!!
Old 09-25-2014, 08:55 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Gents:

Just a little background on this addition to Tadman's great build.

The cold air intake was a gracious contribution to the Old Sled build
donated by RSRFAN. He originally planned on using it on his RSR build.
The cold air intake was off an old 935 bodied 930 race car and when
RSRFAN decided not to use it he sent it to me.

I could not use the cold air intake because I decided to relocated
my CIS to the right rear of the engine compartment (ala 934) in an effort
to see if there were any advantages to a shorter intake track. My intake
track from the metering plate to the turbo inlet measures about 9" of 3"
tubing. Turbo spool up is nearly instantaneous.

Tadman contacted me looking for a cold air intake for his track car.
This allows him to feed cool air from 1/4 window to the dual air inlets on
the cold air hat. When Tadman contacted me I sent the hat to him.

No dyno, no R&D, no complicated science, just old school throw it
on and see if it makes a difference.

Cole

Mods: TurboKraft Custom IC, 934 Headers, GSX 61, Zork, Port Work, SC Cams, Air Mod Fuel Dist Relocated, Water Meth Injection, BL WUR, MSD 6530, Greddy EBC, Synapse Bov, Short 2nd & 3rd with 8:37 R&P, Wevo Shifter, Coupling, and Mounts, MTX-L SSI-4, Big Brakes, Rebel Coilovers, Bilstein Sports.

Last edited by cole930; 09-25-2014 at 09:26 AM..
Old 09-25-2014, 09:12 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)
Registered

Many reasons stock as built may not always be better than upgraded ones ( early dilavar studs, early chain tensioners, rubber clutch etc). Porsche was on a learning curve especially with new performance models, even to this day. Changes with subcontractors can be a problem. Just ask me, I worked in warranty administration ( not for Porsche) for almost a decade.

Last edited by voitureltd; 09-25-2014 at 10:51 AM..
Old 09-25-2014, 09:14 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Brando

Garage
Whatever, it's cool and doesn't hurt.
I'm more moved by the pay it forward attitude I see on this forum.
I've been at the recieving end a couple times and once it was also from rsrfan. Good dude.
Lots of good guys here even with silicone and jb weld asside.
Old 09-25-2014, 09:25 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

Cole, I love you man. You are way too gracious. Glad to see the intake being put to good use. Tadman, the car is an inspiration. Truly beautiful work...

And thanks Brandon. Right back at you!

Last edited by rsrfan; 09-25-2014 at 01:33 PM..
Old 09-25-2014, 01:30 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
Cole, Rsrfan thanks again for air intake, passing it forward as you both did. There truly are some special folks and good natures to go around this group. Its funny with all the parts on my car that air intake now has special meaning, makes me

The Cone.......................................

So any of you who had a stock 930 intake had one of these. I did ad one to the intake at the same location above the mixture bowl and sensor plate. It was not because I think it adds horsepower and if it does its probably minimal. Now I am guessing like everybody else but I think Porsche engineers put the cones in the intakes and later cone shape sensor plates in the mixture bowls of 934's because the cone somehow helps stabilize and balance AFR's.

As for the the air intake, just wanted cooler outside air feed to the turbo.

Old 09-25-2014, 07:47 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: