Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
A Euro??!

Turn the Boost all the way up she'll handle it !

Old 10-01-2014, 10:52 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #21 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by onboost View Post
Can't see a whole lot but can see enough to say that someone may have that car set'up the way it needs to be, thus I wouldn't start ripping out the old skool stuff unless you are planning to spend for proper upgrades.

What I see from the pics are..
- Larger intercooler DP not Ruf as the decal says.
- Modified Airbox
- Twin plug ignition/so you have two plugs per cylinder
- The previous pics show the Miller microfuler which if working correctly will ad more fuel under boost to help prevent a lean situation, often created by that knob being turned-up.
Gumba above gave you a pretty good description of how that works. There is probably a larger than stock turbo and possibly some other internal mods as well..

Pis of the underside, exhaust etc..

Ruf wheels and either an early Ruf or DP lower front valance with the oil cooler cut-out. Is there a cooler behind the grill in front?

Car also appears to be a Euro/ROW model

Clean it up and enjoy it.. nice looking car.
Most importantly first address the severe cancer in engine bay, shouldnt be there for 27000 shouldnt be there at all with any kays, must be from po ods or just neglected when parked, grind a section back get a feel how deep it goes if air hasnt gone through the main crossbeam between shock towers sand it allpaint off leaving some rust and spray with rust converter then repaint , should be good to go without future drama
Excuse any spelling mistakez writing thus on phone under car
Old 10-01-2014, 03:07 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #22 (permalink)

Garage
Jim from FL said this could be a RUF 5 speed can anyone tell for sure?

Old 10-01-2014, 05:31 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #23 (permalink)

Garage
the only rust in the engine bay is the heat shield above the turbo, what you see above the air cleaner is old glue, the matting all fell down and some mice were using the insulation for bedding. Damn varmints.
Old 10-01-2014, 05:42 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #24 (permalink)
Tinkering Pays!!

Garage
Congrats on the new car. Nice Wheels and Nice Color - I would have bought a Silver One, but couldn't find one 5-yrs ago... When I got my car, I too had to go through it and remove a serious Alpine system with: Amps, EQ's, Alarm, CD Changer, Associated Relays, etc... It was a real PITA. But, along the way, was able to lose 60#'s and a pesky Battery Draw.

I'm glad it's all gone...

I, too, have a '79 and wanted to put something out to the braintrust here. What are those 2 devices I've circled on the left? ?Dual Coils for ignition? I don't have those... Thanks!

Last edited by mooney265; 10-02-2014 at 07:49 AM..
Old 10-02-2014, 07:47 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #25 (permalink)

QUOTE=Robbbyg;8287313]Most importantly first address the severe cancer in engine bay, shouldnt be there for 27000 shouldnt be there at all with any kays, must be from po ods or just neglected when parked, grind a section back get a feel how deep it goes if air hasnt gone through the main crossbeam between shock towers sand it allpaint off leaving some rust and spray with rust converter then repaint , should be good to go without future drama
Excuse any spelling mistakez writing thus on phone under car[/QUOTE]

Wha?? Really?

I don't think so...

Quote:
Originally Posted by fstarr56 View Post
the only rust in the engine bay is the heat shield above the turbo, what you see above the air cleaner is old glue, the matting all fell down and some mice were using the insulation for bedding. Damn varmints.
Agreed!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooney265 View Post
When I got my car, I too had to go through it and remove a serious Alpine system with: Amps, EQ's, Alarm, CD Changer, Associated Relays, etc... It was a real PITA. But, along the way, was able to lose 60#'s and a pesky Battery Draw.

I'm glad it's all gone...

What are those 2 devices I've circled on the left? ?Dual Coils for ignition? I don't have those... Thanks!
Yes, engine is twin plug as evidenced by the dual ignition coils (which you've circled) and by the larger 12 point distributer cap also shown in the pic.

Again, Other than the alarm & radio (if need be), which are fairly simple to trace back, I wouldn't start ripping any of the other systems or wires out of there prior to driving the car and identifying what everything is connected to, or its function.
RGruppe #180
So many cars.. so little time!!
Old 10-03-2014, 06:40 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #26 (permalink)

Garage
Car looks like it has good bones. Congrats!
Add your location to your avatar. Is the car still in NY?
Old 10-03-2014, 10:03 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #27 (permalink)

"I hate all the clutter where are my wire cutters and shrink wrap."

To funny. Last year I spent the better part of a day pulling out the after market "high end" stereo & alarm system from my car. When finished I had a 5 gal. bucket stuffed full of wire & relays. All totaled I must have shed at least 50#. Gotta love free h/p.
Nice looking car. Enjoy
Old 10-03-2014, 03:09 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #28 (permalink)

Garage
I had one third of that after market wiring in mine. To get it back to normal took (not kidding) 40 hours or more... and I'm an auto electrician/mechanic.

There are "sympathetic" upgrades for these as the electrical system was a generation behind the mechanicals.

Head light relays and fuel pump fuses. Loads of info here on them.

If you are confident enough to start removing wiring. First identify the wire, understand what it does, verify it works. Then once you have removed it, ensure everything else still works before moving on to the next wire.

You are much better off digesting one issue at a time rather than several faults at the same time.

Take loads of photos, make notes and label what you can as you go along.
Old 10-03-2014, 04:02 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #29 (permalink)

Garage
Thanks for all the good info guys. new fuel pump today and fresh gas then test drive to see what's up with the turbo.
Old 10-04-2014, 06:18 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #30 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsxrken View Post
Car looks like it has good bones. Congrats!
Add your location to your avatar. Is the car still in NY?
Yep it's still in NY, Tonawanda between Buffalo and Niagara Falls
Old 10-04-2014, 10:33 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #31 (permalink)

Garage
So here's some pics of the exhaust and inter cooler.

Old 10-04-2014, 10:49 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #32 (permalink)

Neighbors

Great looking 930, and after the sorting it will be better. I reside in the downtown area, our turbo cab has similar issues. The PO completed several mods, including a G50. Send a pm, we should meet up and trade stories.

thanks,
John G
Old 10-05-2014, 03:02 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #33 (permalink)

Garage
Is it a RUF 5 speed did you find out?
Hope so cos then means ive got one too looks the same as yours

Old 10-06-2014, 12:58 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #34 (permalink)

This car is strikingly similar to yours.

1979 Porsche 930 turbo Ruf and Andial
Old 10-06-2014, 10:59 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #35 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbbyg View Post
Is it a RUF 5 speed did you find out?
Hope so cos then means ive got one too looks the same as yours

Not sure yet no definitive answer yet but I will be taking my car to the best euro mechanic in my area next week I'm sure he will have a lot of answers for me. Your car is looking very tidy underneath.
Old 10-06-2014, 04:01 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #36 (permalink)
Mr. C

Garage
Nice Car I'd forgotten all about audiomobile. Great Hi-Fidelity equipment.

The PO did some nice mods. Kill the evil alarm system. They are noting but a PIA.

Never Again !

Six = Sex
Old 11-05-2014, 07:46 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #37 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: