Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
Need help distinguishing wiring issues '79 930 turbo

So I just bought this '79 930 Turbo. I'm looking to get rid of all of the excess/aftermarket wiring that was installed before I purchased the car. If you could look at the pictures, and tell me what I need, and don't need it'd be much appreciated.

Also, if anyone has a wiring diagram for this car it'd help me out tremendously. Thanks in advanced. - Fred

Old 09-29-2014, 02:47 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Ok, you've got a job ahead of you.. cause there is a lot there that has been added.

The 1st pic shows a terminal block that looks as though it was added to the passenger side of the tub.

Pic 4: Relays.. apparently for hi lo beam? Odd that this is something added.. unless its tied back to the other relays pictured which apparently are alarm related.

Pic 6: Adjustable boost knob, use wisely

Pic 7: Miller/Woods Microfueler tied to a 7th injector if still there.. need with the adjustable boost on an old school set up which this apparently has.

Pic 8: hoses tapped/tied to your boost knob and gauge @ brake booster

Lot of switches etc in the console.. I think before I started to rip anything out I'd get the car running, and then attempt to gather a good understanding of what does or activates what. Understand what you'll need to keep and what you wont.

Obviously the car/engine is modified. Can you post pics of the whole car and the engine?
RGruppe #180
So many cars.. so little time!!
Old 09-29-2014, 04:19 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Garage
I'll post more pics soon, adjustable boost knob, is this something I want to keep? The car does run but I'm putting in 2 new fuel pumps and an upgraded turbo from PP
Old 09-29-2014, 04:53 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by fstarr56 View Post
I'll post more pics soon, adjustable boost knob, is this something I want to keep? The car does run but I'm putting in 2 new fuel pumps and an upgraded turbo from PP
I would leave it.. or leave it for now until you've got a handle on everything you've got going on with the car. Apparently it has mods.. what, where, how is what you will have to figure out.
Do you have any history, paperwork/records on the car?
RGruppe #180
Old 09-30-2014, 05:17 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Wow it's been a long time since I've seen the audiomobile preamp. That was a very high end install back in the day, This was when hi end first hit the market. Kinda a shame to rip it all out, maybe you could just clean it up and save some of the system. I couldn't see the amp really good but if you don't have the stock stuff I'd at least try to keep the preamp and amp and install a newer deck like a pioneer PRS 80 or something that would look better in the dash. The NAK decks blend nicely into a 911 interior also. I think it's a nice job on the consol. If you were located closer to me I could clean it up as cars audio was my trade for 15 or so years..
R
Old 09-30-2014, 12:44 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RDG View Post
Wow it's been a long time since I've seen the audiomobile preamp. That was a very high end install back in the day, This was when hi end first hit the market. Kinda a shame to rip it all out, maybe you could just clean it up and save some of the system.
Good point.. and upon a closer look at that console. I think the plaque says the install was done by Ultrasmith. If that is the case, you may want to leave this as RDG suggested.

Ultrasmith is/was based out of NY and did really high-end audio installs during the
80's and 90's. There work was expensive but always first rate.. If that stuff is working I think I would leave it, or maybe upgrade certain pieces around the base items.
RGruppe #180
Old 09-30-2014, 02:42 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

If you want to get rid of that knob you let me know......
https://medium.com/@crashingdoor
Old 09-30-2014, 02:50 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Garage
Thanks for all the input guys, I have no history,books or tools except the old title that says 24k miles in 1997 clock now has 27k on it which I believe to be true cause the car is so clean underneath. Ultrasmith is no longer around, I hate all the clutter where are my wire cutters and shrink wrap.
Old 09-30-2014, 03:01 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Garage
16 v, the boost knob? how does it work what does it do and what goes along with it?
Old 09-30-2014, 03:04 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by fstarr56 View Post
16 v, the boost knob? how does it work what does it do and what goes along with it?
Leave it, don't turn it.. drive the car, step into it and see where the needle on the boost gauge stays.. this will tell you where that knob has the boost set. I think you should be ok if the needle sets at 1.0 or below.. anything over then you need to turn the knob back until you, or someone gets an idea of what kinda of mods have been done to the engine.

More pics would help.. those forum loves pics!
RGruppe #180
Old 09-30-2014, 03:18 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

After looking at the pics little closer it appears that the factory fuse panel looks pretty much stock, most likely they ran one big power wire over to the other side and setup there own fuse block for the audio system and the alarm. Those relays you see look to be alarm related, probly for flashing lights,starter cut, air horns and whatnot. Pull all the carpet out to get a idea how things re routed. Wiring does get old and solderless connections come loose. Reroute what you can following the stock wire when possable use coragated tubbing and freshin it up. If it were me I'd find a new glovebox door and let theses gauges go, or find better mounting positions if you really want them. Just removing the gauges will cleanup under the dash some. I'd keep the amp and preamp install, I didn't see what the speakers were but if blown or whatever I'd just hook up the amp to a nice set of components or coaxels if the doors aren't allready cut for tweets and install a new proper looking deck. Good luck let me know if I can help.
R
Old 09-30-2014, 03:39 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

The boost knob lets you manually control the amount of boost. More boost=more power=shorter engine life. Like onboost says, don't turn it until you see how much boost you have. If it doesn't do anything it may not be connected up. There should be 2 hoses running to the knob. If you decide to remove it, it's worth a chunk of change. Personally I'd leave it in for that old school look.
If you decide to remove the center console stereo stuff, put it in a box and save it for the next owner, or sell it.
Old 09-30-2014, 04:06 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Garage
So here are are a few more pics, I think I'll call her Gerta.[IMG]photo_2(5).jpg[/IMG]
Old 09-30-2014, 07:18 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

Garage
Old 09-30-2014, 07:25 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

Garage
Old 09-30-2014, 07:27 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)

Garage
Old 09-30-2014, 07:29 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)

Garage
Old 09-30-2014, 07:32 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)

Garage
Old 09-30-2014, 07:36 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)

Garage

Someone is living here without paying rent... eviction time
Old 09-30-2014, 07:39 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)

Can't see a whole lot but can see enough to say that someone may have that car set'up the way it needs to be, thus I wouldn't start ripping out the old skool stuff unless you are planning to spend for proper upgrades.

What I see from the pics are..
- Larger intercooler DP not Ruf as the decal says.
- Modified Airbox
- Twin plug ignition/so you have two plugs per cylinder
- The previous pics show the Miller microfuler which if working correctly will ad more fuel under boost to help prevent a lean situation, often created by that knob being turned-up.
Gumba above gave you a pretty good description of how that works. There is probably a larger than stock turbo and possibly some other internal mods as well..

Pis of the underside, exhaust etc..

Ruf wheels and either an early Ruf or DP lower front valance with the oil cooler cut-out. Is there a cooler behind the grill in front?

Car also appears to be a Euro/ROW model

Clean it up and enjoy it.. nice looking car.

RGruppe #180
Old 10-01-2014, 04:25 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #20 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: