Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

1979 930 Turbo

I am wondering if anyone knows anything about this car?
1979 Porsche 930 Turbo, $134,995 - Cars.com
thoughts?

Old 10-09-2014, 08:03 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
beancounter

Don't know anything specific about that car. It does look to be mostly original. Chromed/Polished Fuchs are not original AFAIK, and are not to my personal liking but YMMV. Could be an illusion but the wheels look like they might be wider than the originals ('79 would have 7" and 8" Fuchs from the factory).

Door cards are perforated, perhaps for aftermarket stereo speakers?

Leather dash looks to be in Ok shape...not cracked, but has typical waviness up top and swelling around the center vent. Seen much worse, but not sure I'd use the word "outstanding" to describe that Leather dash. Original, sure.

All these are nits, really. But they want 135k for the car, so I think its entirely fair to pick at it with a fine tooth comb.
Old 10-10-2014, 10:03 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Thanks Jacob. Much appreciated. I have a call into the dealer and have not spoken to him yet. I live in Salt Lake so it is hard for me to see the car. Do you know anyone reliable in Portland who I could hire to give an independent assessment?
Vern Cooley
Old 10-10-2014, 12:37 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
beancounter

Hi Vern,

Steve Weiner of Rennsport Systems is in Portland. He's one of the professionals and Porsche Gurus who is a frequent contributor to the Pelican forums (though he doesn't hang out here on the turbo forum). Might be worth a call.

If it were my 135k, I'd spend an extra few $ and fly up to take a look in person. But then I haven't yet worked up to the level of 6 figure sight unseen transactions...my personal max was 40k for my 911 race car shipped from Seattle only had pictures and conversation with the seller plus a shop that worked on it (that deal went perfectly, everyone is happy).
Old 10-10-2014, 12:56 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Garage
Looks like a very solid car from the pictures and if the mileage is documented. You just missed this one yesterday on ebay, or perhaps you were watching it..

Porsche 930 Turbo | eBay
Old 10-10-2014, 01:01 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
Registered Abuser

no pics of the engine compartment or the underneath?
Old 10-10-2014, 01:09 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Garage
I just thought the same thing, there is no pics of the engine or underbody, which in a lot of ways tells way more then the pretty original paint up top. Such as what does it have for heat exchangers / exhaust, and what condition the axles / cv's are in, along with general engine condition, if it was just resealed then they should have some pictures that will show all the nice work the dealer did to justify the price, which considering you could pick up a nice 997 GT3 RS for the same price is a pretty hefty sum.

You will know what you want to use the car for, but if you plan on doing much driving in it, and enjoying it, the first thing that really needs to go is the thermal reactor system and US version of exhaust, as it creates massive amounts of heat, that just roasts everything, from all the radiant heat. My car had this originally and I spent the time and energy swapping it all out for the European or later model turbo exhaust, as I bought my car to be a driver some years back, mine being a 1979 very similar to this, now if you are going the investment route and time capsule piece you'll be happy with it all stock. But for the price you would be best to view the car in person. Pictures do tell a lot, but seeing is believing and for this sum, I would think a flash of seriousness with a deposit in hand and trip to see it should allow a test drive, to make sure it lives up to what is on paper, minimally a ride in it, if the dealer insists on not letting you drive it.
Old 10-10-2014, 01:40 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

I have 1979, I'm the second owner, 39k original documented miles. Guards/Black, sports seats, limited slip. For 35k less. PM me if you're interested.
Old 10-10-2014, 01:56 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Thanks everyone for the excellent advice. Much appreciated. I am weighing all of my options. I did see that car on eBay and was very intrigued. Really prefer the black interior, but hard to justify the the significantly higher price.
Lack of pictures showing the engine compartment and underneath concerning and I will ask the seller to send some. I agree that nothing can compare with seeing and driving the car.
I am looking for a low miles original car rather than a frequent driver. Can't thank you all enough. Any other thoughts are welcome as I contemplate my options.
Old 10-10-2014, 02:20 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

What happened to all the 930s guys actually used to drive regularly? They seem to come up for sale a lot less often than do the "low mileage" examples that are so prevalent in the market right now. Not saying this car isn't genuine, but I can't help but be skeptical of the abundance of very low mileage 30+ year old cars being offered for sale.
By United States Marines.
Old 10-10-2014, 02:54 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by nkowi View Post
What happened to all the 930s guys actually used to drive regularly? They seem to come up for sale a lot less often than do the "low mileage" examples that are so prevalent in the market right now. Not saying this car isn't genuine, but I can't help but be skeptical of the abundance of very low mileage 30+ year old cars being offered for sale.
exactly the same I think. be careful out there
Old 10-11-2014, 11:40 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

That is wise advice.
Thanks
Old 10-11-2014, 02:57 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Registered Abuser

Unless you're planning on sitting on it until that next bubble arrives (yeah right, we are at peak bubble), buy for condition not purported low mileage. You can find one with all the right mods that is way faster and for much less money. And you can drive it all you want without worrying about depreciation.

Last edited by zaman fu; 10-11-2014 at 03:11 PM..
Old 10-11-2014, 03:08 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: