Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

1977 ROW 930 Turbo - Originality Question

Anyone spot any non-original items here:

Porsche 911 3.0 Turbo as Sports Car/Coupe in Fohnsdorf

Old 10-15-2014, 04:15 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Very nice car! The paint and interior have been redone but to a VERY high standard it looks. This is a good thing to me. Only thing I see are the wheels. They should be 7s and 8s these appear to be 8s and 9s.
Old 10-15-2014, 06:04 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

No headlight washers or foglights either.
Old 10-15-2014, 06:17 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Love the color – looks like a very nice 930 with these exceptions for a '77:
- Incorrect front valence with no fog lights or headlight washers
- ‘86+, 9 x 16 inch rear wheels
- Late-79+ center vents
- Refinished leather interior (does not match Porsche’s factory craftsmanship)
- Missing rear wiper (could be an indication of a repro rear tail)
- Center console missing A/C controls and C-box cassette holders
- Short shifter (vs. factory fitment)
Old 10-15-2014, 06:40 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
aka 'vageen'

Garage
I concur with rlane930. Also the antenna looks wrong and the steering wheel center has a nasty stain on it, likely from another parts car.

The muffler should have a stainless bezel on the tip as well.
Yoosta have: 90 C4 Targa, 87 944, 73 911 ChumpCar endurance racer - featured in May-June & July-Aug 2016 Classic Porsche
Old 10-15-2014, 07:47 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

All,

Thanks for the quick response. A couple of things:

1. I thought that the front vents came in '77. I have a '77 911S with the front vents and have seen elsewhere that the vents came to the Turbo as well in '77.

2. Center console: I don't think the car came with A/C, so probably that's why no controls.

3. Improper front valence and missing headlight washers could be indicative of a front-end collision in the past?

Thanks much for the tips/input.

- Mike
Old 10-15-2014, 08:31 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Mike,

1: All 77'MY cars had centre dash vents,I think rlane930 is referring to the type of vent,which is incorrect for a 77'.

2: The car doesn't have A/C controls,but it has the large centre vent in the tail designated for the A/C condenser,so it is either a car with factory A/C that has been removed,or a car built without factory A/C that has the wrong tail. Rlane930 has also alluded to this with the lack of a rear wiper.

3: I was thinking the same thing.

The car still looks very nice. If you were to be even more critical on the originality front,the carpet is also a shorter pile and incorrect for a 77' MY 930.
Old 10-15-2014, 10:30 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Would the fact that the car came from Japan affect the discrepancies?

- Mike
Old 10-16-2014, 01:14 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Here are some more pictures, including motor and undercarriage:

autoPro24

- Mike
Old 10-16-2014, 03:27 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by unclebilly View Post
I concur with rlane930. Also the antenna looks wrong and the steering wheel center has a nasty stain on it, likely from another parts car.

The muffler should have a stainless bezel on the tip as well.
The muffler tip was only standard on the 930/50 Turbo engine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Have Blue View Post
Mike,

2: The car doesn't have A/C controls,but it has the large centre vent in the tail designated for the A/C condenser,so it is either a car with factory A/C that has been removed,or a car built without factory A/C that has the wrong tail. Rlane930 has also alluded to this with the lack of a rear wiper.
Even without A/C, the front console should not be blank on a 1977 Turbo. RoW 1977 Tails all had the larger secondary vent (optional A/C or non-A/C) but there does not appear to be a wiper hole in the tail.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Czech View Post
Would the fact that the car came from Japan affect the discrepancies?

- Mike
If it was delivered to Japan, it may explain the odd front valence with no fog lights but not the lack of snorkel headlight washers (unless deleted on a COA). Also, if from Japan then it has the non-original speedometer, added H-4’s (vs. U.S. headlights) and modified rear seats from the Japanese standard fitment.
Old 10-16-2014, 03:55 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

What was the Japanese fitment for the rear seats?

- Mike
Old 10-16-2014, 04:02 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Yes there are a few things wrong with this car, but in Europe you can't be too picky! Most if not all of the details can be put right, it is more important that the car is straight with no poor repairs, impossible to see from images. I know I may be wrong, but give the market another year and we will all be kicking ourselves for missing these early turbo's. Whatever the case, these cars, 75, 76 77 are going to be a far better place to put money than a 991 turbo. Oh, and a LOT more fun to drive!!
Old 10-16-2014, 04:25 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Agreed. Now I just need to convince my wife that I need one to go with my '77 911S so I have a matching set. ;-)

- Mike
Old 10-16-2014, 06:39 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

Garage
If I am not mistaken you can see front end damage here:

Thats way too irregular in shape, where the fan for the AC condensator would be mounted?
Old 10-19-2014, 12:19 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

Funny enough the picture showing the front end damage is no longer visible on the ad...
All 3.0l turbos had fog lights and "periscope" headlight washers as standard.
The bosch fog lights used from 74 to 83 (starting with the launch of the carrera 3.2l they were integrated in the front valence ) are now reproduced (take a look at the sierra madre website).
The periscope headlight washers are NLA, but are reproduced by Dr Konradsheim in Austria.
Good luck with your search
Mathieu
Old 10-19-2014, 01:39 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon930Berlin View Post
If I am not mistaken you can see front end damage here:

Thats way too irregular in shape, where the fan for the AC condensator would be mounted?
Good spot, well done, certainly raises a few questions.
Old 10-19-2014, 02:15 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)

Very nice car and i do like the colour! My concourse 930 does not have polished wheel rims.. Also i have the valve stem brackets that adhere to the rim. I guess you would also need to see underneath and in the engine bay. These days the 930 seems to be very very sought after. Mint original cars are going nuts in value so get in and enjoy one!!
Old 10-19-2014, 02:43 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)

Yes, I saw this front end ripple as well and was wondering . . .

Something to follow up on once they send me some more detailed pics.

- Mike

Old 10-19-2014, 03:01 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: