Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

A few shots of the oil return sump plate I've been working on. Both sides are tapped at 22mmx1.5. -10an to 22mm adapter for the oil line and a 22mm magnetic drain plug on the other side. It's 1.200" thick at the center.

Old 11-19-2014, 12:40 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #41 (permalink)
Brando

Garage
I love that idea! That looks great too.
Old 11-19-2014, 01:45 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #42 (permalink)

Looks great. Am interested. Need one.
Old 11-19-2014, 02:14 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #43 (permalink)
Bad LT

Very nice!
Old 11-19-2014, 02:20 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #44 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by patkeefe View Post
I return mine to the left side chain cover. Coincidentally, I was just out in the garage doing the start up for the first time since reinstalling the engine. I can't pump enough oil from the turbo through my electric pump without it pushing past the bearings to the exhaust side. I used to run a catch can, but figured I'd try this first. Catch can = more clearance issues. Oil return is such a PITA.

Pat!
I just reviewed this thread and understood your installation, but not sure where/how exactly the pump drains into the chain cover. Did you have to modify the cover?

How is that working out for you?
I think it would be great to bypass a catch can.

QUESTION: If the electric pump should fail, would there still be gravity feed through the pump to the sump?
Old 11-20-2014, 05:26 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #45 (permalink)

I plan on making a couple more of these next week (without the black grooves). This Mishimoto an10 to 20mm banjo fitting may be another alternative for the oil line return.
Old 11-20-2014, 05:40 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #46 (permalink)

E-85 sippin drunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by baloo View Post
Pat!
I just reviewed this thread and understood your installation, but not sure where/how exactly the pump drains into the chain cover. Did you have to modify the cover?

How is that working out for you?
I think it would be great to bypass a catch can.

QUESTION: If the electric pump should fail, would there still be gravity feed through the pump to the sump?
I not only have a catch can at the bottom of the turbo, but also have a -8 AN line going to the 4,5,6 chain cover. I have NEVER had an issue with oil leaking past the turbo seals.

Its easy to do. Take the chain cover off, drill hole... have a -8 fitting welded in... wallah!!!! Then, I had a -8 fitting welded into the other side of the catch can... connected the two with a AN line.. You can see it in this picture here. It is way below the bottom of the turbo, but it doesn't look that way in the picture

[IMG]IMG_0147 by turbobrat930, on Flickr[/IMG].
Brad...930 gt-1 racecar, increased displacement to 3.6L, JB racing Cylinders, JE 8 to1 pistons, stroked crank, Carrillo rods, extrudehoned 3.2L intake, full bay Bell I/C, GT-2 EVO cams, Rarly8 headers, GTX-3584RS turbo, twin plug, P&P heads, Link G4 EFi system, G-50/50 with LTD slip and oil squirters/oil cooler, zork tube, full race coilover system, with carbon fiber body, full cage, E-85 sippin drunk

Last edited by turbobrat930; 11-20-2014 at 05:56 AM..
Old 11-20-2014, 05:53 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #47 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbobrat930 View Post
I not only have a catch can at the bottom of the turbo, but also have a -8 AN line going to the 4,5,6 chain cover. I have NEVER had an issue with oil leaking past the turbo seals....

...I had a -8 fitting welded into the other side of the catch can... connected the two with a AN line.. You can see it in this picture here. It is way below the bottom of the turbo, but it doesn't look that way in the picture

[IMG]IMG_0147 by turbobrat930, on Flickr[/IMG].
So you do not use a scavenger pump and rely totally on gravity drainage.
What kind of catch can is that (I assume it's the black beer can looking item in the pic?)?
Thanks.
Old 11-20-2014, 06:10 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #48 (permalink)
E-85 sippin drunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by baloo View Post
So you do not use a scavenger pump and rely totally on gravity drainage.
What kind of catch can is that (I assume it's the black beer can looking item in the pic?)?
Thanks.
I still use the scavenge pump as well... just above the turbo on the drivers side, you can see the AN live going to the scavenge circuit. The line to the chain housing was just a precaution...
Brad...930 gt-1 racecar, increased displacement to 3.6L, JB racing Cylinders, JE 8 to1 pistons, stroked crank, Carrillo rods, extrudehoned 3.2L intake, full bay Bell I/C, GT-2 EVO cams, Rarly8 headers, GTX-3584RS turbo, twin plug, P&P heads, Link G4 EFi system, G-50/50 with LTD slip and oil squirters/oil cooler, zork tube, full race coilover system, with carbon fiber body, full cage, E-85 sippin drunk
Old 11-20-2014, 06:29 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #49 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbobrat930 View Post
I still use the scavenge pump as well... just above the turbo on the drivers side, you can see the AN live going to the scavenge circuit. The line to the chain housing was just a precaution...
Got it! And the scavenge pump feeds into the bottom sump plate, I guess.
Neat. Gravity feed is back up in case of pump failure! No wonder you never get oil past the turbo seals due to back pressure.
Old 11-20-2014, 07:19 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #50 (permalink)

[QUOTE=gumba;8361990]I plan on making a couple more of these next week (without the black grooves). This Mishimoto an10 to 20mm banjo fitting may be another alternative for the oil line return.QUOTE]

Gumba,
Are you making these for purchase?
If so, what's the price?
Thanks.
Old 11-20-2014, 07:20 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #51 (permalink)
Stranger on the Internet

I am today working on quantifying the rates of oil flow through the turbo and pump. I have previously measured the flow into the turbo to be approximately 0.28 gal/min. With this flow rate, and the pump running, I send a lot of oil past the turbine bearings. I have had a valve on the feed line in the past, but It's a PITA, so I want to establish a fixed orifice flow IAW Borg Warner's recommendations.

I am going out now to try and quantify the flow through the pump, via 3/8" ID hose on barb fittings (pump inlet and outlet are 3/8 FPT). My pump is supposed to flow WAY more than it seems to.

BTW, the gravity drain is non-existent. I tried it once to the sump plate, didn't work well. This is a big problem when you don't have the factory 930 oil return system.
Old 11-20-2014, 07:45 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #52 (permalink)

Stranger on the Internet

I didn't want to totally hijack this thread...
Turbo Oil Return...non-930 specific
Old 11-20-2014, 09:14 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #53 (permalink)

Garage
Harold, that's an awesome bit work work you've done there.
I would be interested too.

I got the new sump plate back today with the AN-8 welded on.

Compared to the first sump plate, TIG is certainly alot neater than MIG :

All being well I should get the new plate on, on Saturday, plus get a few other jobs done like change gearbox oil and fit turbo mount.

1980 SC Flatnose, Euro 3.0, LW Flywheel, 993 Cams, Port & Polish Heads, RS Cut Valves, Magnacor Leads, Boxster Brakes, WEVO Mounts, TRG Roll Bars, Rollcage, RSR rear fenders, WEVO Shifter, K27 7200 Turbo, OBX Headers, Tial Wastegate, Omex 710 ECU, 3.2 Intake, Full Bay Intercooler.....400HP
Old 11-20-2014, 09:40 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #54 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: