Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Not Royce

Garage
Headliner change to ivory color, what adhesive to use?

I'm changing the headliner on my car at the moment and I ordered the
ivory headliner from our host.

Most people prefer to use the 3M(yellowish) adhesive to install the headliner, but after the adhesive settles down it begins to leak and turn yellow around the areas that its applied to.

would anyone happen to recommend a different type of product such as a clear adhesive that will hold as good or better than the factory adhesive?

thank you for your assistance

Web photo portfolio: www.Royze.jp
RWB Japan/Middle-East representative
Old 10-21-2014, 12:14 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Uncertifiable!!!

Garage
I recently pulled off the headliner out of my crashed '86 so I could learn how the factory did it prior to embarking on my new build. What I have noted is that the factory used a 1.5 inch strip of felt like material glued butting but not wrapping all hard edges, I.e. Top of door openings, and all glass. The exception is the sunroof where a canvas type material is used to wrap the edges. See pic.

The headliner is attached by gluing it to the exterior edges of all openings. No glue applied on top of the felt and canvas so theoretically, if you are careful, no part of the headliner that you see will have any glue on the backside. You will see this when you pull yours out. Also, check out how the sunroof liner was upholstered- no glue is applied to the backside of material facing the interior. So, in theory, using your suggested 3M glue should give you good results.

I'm thinking of using 3m 80 because of its claimed high temperature performance but I'm going to first test how well vinyl headliner material adheres to painted steel.

By the way, Joann's Fabrics have an excellent fabric backed foam that I'm am going to use to cover the sunroof box in place of the original foam which has probably despite grated in most cars.

Hope that a few Pelicans will chime in with their experiences and advise.
Cheers,
Johan
Old 10-22-2014, 06:43 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

I am curious about this too, doing my sunroof this weekend. Any tips on how to prevent rattles? I have heard tha some folks put felt on the tracks somewhere, to ensure a tighter fit, but can't find the threads...

Bo
Old 10-23-2014, 04:35 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uwon View Post
I'm thinking of using 3m 80 because of its claimed high temperature performance but I'm going to first test how well vinyl headliner material adheres to painted steel.
When restoring a few muscle cars, more than one renowned restoration shop advised me against using the spray can adhesive for headliners. They stated the headliners don't allow the adhesive to fully dry and will sag when subjected to temperature changes. They recommended a contact cement such as 3M 1300L adhesive.

It was a bit of a pain to find (I had to order it through Grainger). Nonetheless it has held up well over a decade, despite the poor fit and stretching necessary to get the repop headliner in perfectly.

“The only thing we learn from history is that we learn nothing from history.” ― Georg Wilhelm Friedrich Hegel
Old 10-23-2014, 06:26 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
Not Royce

Garage
Thank you for all your responses,

I was trying to order 3M headliner spray adhesive from our host but it seems like there is restrictions on shipping adhesive products to international addresses.

We searched for a local product in Japan, and we were able to find clear adhesive bond (in a tube) that can stand temperatures of -50C to +150C and is also waterproof. Do you think that should be sufficient? just to double check

Old 12-28-2014, 05:16 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
Uncertifiable!!!

Garage
Royce, should work. Being in a tube will make the application more precise. Please post the product and results.
Johan
Old 12-29-2014, 04:47 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Innocent Bystander

Garage
Royze, I've installed many bow type headliners and I always use Pliobond contact adhesive. It's very strong, and with the included brush, it's easy to apply and control the application in small specific areas you'll find yourself needing to address as you complete your install. It will not yellow over time.

Having experience in this area, I don't think I would be able to do a professional job with a spray adhesive. I think I'd spend far too much time cleaning up over-spray from my interior and paint.
Old 12-29-2014, 06:25 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

I'll be watching, as this will be part of my project. want to change the headliner to linen. I find a light colored headliner makes the interior of the car brighter.
86 944 turbo my new DE/track car.
78 930 clone project car.
Old 12-29-2014, 06:31 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)
Not Royce

Garage
We just had the sunroof headliner installed and it's held up well in the beginning but a day later it started peeling off so easily
so we have to re-glue the whole car with the yellow adhesive *sigh*

I agree with you, the brighter color inside brightens up the interior and it brought the car together.

Last edited by Royze; 12-30-2014 at 05:10 AM..
Old 12-29-2014, 10:50 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: