Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Question on Rubber Intercooler Seals

Okay, so this is a silly one ... it's been seven months since I disassembled my engine and I can't for the life of me figure out where one of the orange rubber seals go (sorry, I'm sitting at my desk and don't have pics). It's not one of the O-rings, or what Porsche calls Round Seal, but rather one of the cup-shaped seals Porsche refers to as a Sealing Ring.

I know there's one that sits inside the top end of the pressure pipe and another at the bottom. The larger of the two - the one at the top - is right at about 3" OD, I didn't measure the bottom one.

Anyway, to the seal in question; it measures 3.5" OD, much too large to fit inside either end of the pressure pipe. I thought perhaps it might between the intercooler and the Bypass Valve but the Porsche parts books I have don't show such a thing.

I've rebuilt this entire engine from the main bearings up (and out) and yet I'm hung up on what seems the simplest of items.

Sure could use some help (along with some well-earned ribbing).

By United States Marines.
Old 10-22-2014, 09:06 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Garage
i bet someone will put up a diagram. can quite picture any seals other than the orange ones in the pipe and the special sleeve that joins the down pipe and the turbo. sorry i am of no help
15 Ram Eco Diesel
Old 10-22-2014, 12:56 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
Crotchety Old Bastard

Garage
There is a large black seal that fits on the outside of the intercooler / up pipe junction. The IC sits on it. It is not orange so may not be the one.
Old 10-22-2014, 01:12 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

You say orange and cupped shaped, could be the tin seal for up or down pipe so no air enters through the tin from underneath and not a seal for boost purposes.
Old 10-22-2014, 01:48 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

I have an 81 but I no longer run the stock i/c. I do still have all the parts though. None of which contain the cup shaped seal your referring to. My car didn't come with any seals around the tin so, perhaps I'm missing that
Sorry I can't be of more help. Hopefully someone will know WTF your talking about
Old 10-22-2014, 03:17 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

this might help
Old 10-22-2014, 03:47 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Garage
I think you are referring to the tin seal for the up pipe.
Old 10-22-2014, 04:47 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by speednme1 View Post
this might help

Looks like no. 3, the Sealing Ring. What's got me confused is that (I believe) no.3 is the seal that fits into the top of the pressure (up) pipe. I have two of those that are 3" OD. The ring I'm referring to is the same shape, but it's OD is 3.5".
Old 10-22-2014, 05:20 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilonly View Post
You say orange and cupped shaped, could be the tin seal for up or down pipe so no air enters through the tin from underneath and not a seal for boost purposes.
I concur. The key is the orange color. If black, Brian already pointed to the up-pipe-to-IC junction outer sealing ring (which in my mind was nothing but window dressing and served basically no purpose at all). Orange says it's the tin junction.
Mark H. 1987 930, GP White, Wevo shifter, Borla exhaust, stock everything else. The result of a massive Pelicanite good will fire recovery effort. Truely an open book, ready for the slippery slopes to modification.
Old 10-22-2014, 06:31 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Garage
nkowi, the seal you refer to is # 20 on this diagram. It fits as you see on the bottom of the charge pipe. Hope this helps. I changed mine some months back as well as all the other o-rings.
Old 10-23-2014, 04:33 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexm930 View Post
nkowi, the seal you refer to is # 20 on this diagram. It fits as you see on the bottom of the charge pipe. Hope this helps. I changed mine some months back as well as all the other o-rings.
I wish you were correct, but that seal (no. 20) is much smaller. Thanks.
Old 10-23-2014, 06:34 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Garage
...sounds like the seal between turbocharger and neck to intercooler...orange...cupped...
Old 10-23-2014, 07:04 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by wholio94112 View Post
...sounds like the seal between turbocharger and neck to intercooler...orange...cupped...
I have two of those - each 3" is OD. The seal in question is 3.5" OD.

What's interesting is that if you work it into place it actually fits pretty well into the top of the charge/pressure/up pipe. I'm beginning to wonder if there are two different sizes made for the same application.

Old 10-23-2014, 07:13 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: