Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Another What are These Parts Thread

It's been a long time since I dropped the engine and my flash drive with my photos took a dump so I cant remember what this was hooked to or even what it is. One of the lines stays in the engine bay (and is teed off of) the other (cloth wrapped) is routed toward the front of the car, exiting the bay along the same route as the old A/C line.

[IMG][/IMG]

Don't know what this part is or what it does (bottom center of pic) but since my old fuel head didn't have one (please, don't ask) but the new one does, I want to make certain that not having it connected won't prevent my new engine from starting/running.

Can I remove it and plug the fuel head where it connects (in two places)?

Can I apply power (from the old AAV connection, for example) and have it function (whatever that function is)?

Can I not worry about it and just leave it as is? (I guessing not, as it looks like a valve of some sort)

[IMG][/IMG]

By United States Marines.
Old 10-24-2014, 12:52 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Send a message via Yahoo to full quack
Well it's obvious that this is a super rare fuel reserve canister, only found on US models. I've heard it's worth 5-10 HP and allows you an extra 10 miles once the gas tank is dry. Would be worth even more money if it had toilet paper dispenser bracket that it should have come with.

Not crystal clear about the valve item, maybe a reverse osmosis in line fuel de salinizer. Those are great when you live near the ocean.

Anyway best of luck...maybe if you had a bunch of 8 x 10 photocolor glossies with a paragraph and a half on the back, maybe then we all could figure it out.

Hope I helped you out :}

Mark
Old 10-24-2014, 04:54 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Its inaccuracy notwithstanding, your Alice reference was duly noted.

If that is indeed a fuel reserve canister (unless of course you were ribbing in both parts of your reply) any idea if the inlet can simply be plugged?

Last edited by nkowi; 10-24-2014 at 05:12 PM..
Old 10-24-2014, 05:03 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Garage
That lower pic is the frequency valve that regulates control pressure at the fuel head. That hose needs to stay in place.

Last edited by lite75; 10-24-2014 at 05:34 PM..
Old 10-24-2014, 05:31 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Standard 12V? If so I would think the AAV the plug power it properly(>)
Old 10-25-2014, 12:36 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
Rocket Scientist

You can leave the frequency valve in place. It is normally open. You may have to adjust the idle CO later, but it will run with it as is, assuming everything else in the CIS is OK.

The canister is someone's attempt to replace the fuel filter, I think. Can you trace the hoses and see if one is connected to your rear fuel pump? If so, I would get ride of those hose clamps and go back to the original hoses and filter pronto before you start a carbeque.
Old 10-25-2014, 01:47 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Thanks for the info, Speedy. Interestingly, the factory fuel filter remains in place, connected as it should be, in series with the accumulator. I'll follow the line from the Purolator canister and see where it leads.
Old 10-25-2014, 02:35 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

It looks like a cross between a spin on oil filter and an evaporitive emissions charcoal cannister.
Dusty and looks like it's been there a while. Enjoy the mystery until you follow the hoses and see where they go.
Old 10-25-2014, 03:51 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)
Rocket Scientist

It is not a fuel filter, it is a replacement vapor canister. I think it is Purolator 00 701.
Old 10-25-2014, 04:05 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Send a message via Yahoo to full quack
Yes I was ribbing you on both accounts.

It's been years since I've heard the song, so not surprised that I got the lyrics slightly inaccurate.

The others are heading you in the right direction as for the parts.

Mark
Old 10-25-2014, 05:00 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

The runs all the way to the front of the car until disappearing into the center portion of the driver's side front fender. With the engine out of the car it's too low to get a jack underneath to lift the front so I can trace it further.

After thinking about it a bit more I seem to call that the hose leading into the engine compartment was attached to the WUR vent outlet. Does it make any sense at all that this Purolater thingy might be an air-type filter plumbed into a fuel system vent?
Old 10-26-2014, 11:45 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)
Rocket Scientist

Does it go to a clear plastic fuel expansion tank up front by the gas tank? Is your car an early '80's Euro grey market car by any chance? Often, to get them into the country, they improvised a fuel vapor recovery canister.
Old 10-26-2014, 12:48 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFairman View Post
It looks like an evaporitive emissions charcoal canister.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedy Squirrel View Post
It is not a fuel filter, it is a replacement vapor canister. I think it is Purolator 00 701.
Quote:
Euro grey market car by any chance? Often, to get them into the country, they improvised a fuel vapor recovery canister.
Yep, that's what that item is.. usually found as an attempt to federalize during the grey market days.
RGruppe #180
So many cars.. so little time!!
Old 10-26-2014, 03:38 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

Quote:
Does it go to a clear plastic fuel expansion tank up front by the gas tank? Is your car an early '80's Euro grey market car by any chance? Often, to get them into the country, they improvised a fuel vapor recovery canister.
It does indeed. And, yes, it's a 1980. Can it simply be deleted?

Old 10-26-2014, 04:34 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: