Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
Help me ID this oil line?

I'm having trouble finding this guy on our host catalog. Can anyone help me out? Tired of the leak

Old 10-25-2014, 05:37 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by onboost View Post
Thanks a bunch! I'm gonna order them both and get it done this weekend! Will update thread with some pics
Old 10-25-2014, 08:32 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Garage
Tonight I got the car up and started degreasing the general area. I'm hoping I can get it clean enough to figure out what other lines need replacement.

I think this guy could be suspect but I'm not sure yet..

Anyone wanna help out on ID'ing again?

Does anyone know if there are any washers or anything that go between these lines and the tanks / hardlines ? This is what I have in the cart so far..
Old 10-26-2014, 09:28 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Garage
the first picture is showing that large oil return line that connects to the hard pipe that runs along the back end and make that turn toward the front. if the same as my car it goes to the front oil cooler. if thats the one its a pain in the but. i removed the thread end, took a dremel to the end toward the passenger door and removed the pressed collar. there are a few shops here local in phoenix that sell that line and i bought some nice heavy duty adjustable clamps to reattach the line on the upper end. the lowered is still threaded on. we may not be talking about the same line? if so and you need help drop me a email or PM.

John
15 Ram Eco Diesel
Old 10-27-2014, 06:05 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

You will have to spray some engine cleaner on everything thats wet with oil and hose it off with water. Then drive the car a little and look for where the fresh oil is coming from to know whats leaking.
There are no sealing washers on any of those lines, they're tapered conical compression fittings and you could try loosening and re tightening them a little bit and see if that helps.
Make sure some oil or grease is on the threads so they tighten on easier and don't damage the male threads on the oil tank.

If you want to save some money it's not hard to remove the rubber part of the long return line that may be the leaker and clamp on a new section of hose like this.
The rubber part of that hose was slowly leaking where it attached to the oil tank when I got my car in '06 and I replaced it with this stainless braided hose and two small t-bolt clamps around 8 years ago and it's never leaked.
Old 10-27-2014, 06:47 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Garage
Thanks guys!

I'm gonna take it over to a local place that rents lifts and go all out on the cleaning / rinsing so I can be sure of what I'm replacing before I drain the oil. I also have an exhaust gasket project I'm gonna tackle at the same time as line replacement so my goal is to get everything I suspect leaking on hand so I can do it all in one shot or close to that

@JFairman That stainless section looks very nice I might be going that route depending on what else I find! Is it just me or is your line routing slightly different? My car is an '87 and the line between the hardline that runs around the back of the engine and the external valve that opens to let the front cooler begin circulation seems to be routed differently? I guess its the sending line I'm referring to.
Old 10-27-2014, 12:48 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)
Large Member

Garage
Yes, Jim's got headers so he's running the "early" oil line... you've got the later one that loops around / under the rear of the engine, that gets in the way when you install headers.

And definitely heed his advice regarding the tank fitting, mine buggered the threads upon REMOVAL, and I had to finagle a work around to ensure it sealed.

also, it's quite possible but hard to really tell from your picture that any oil spilled during fill-up or oil filter removal could easily have drizzled down through the holes / seal in the tin and gunk up all of which resides below - check the right rear frame rail in the engine bay for tell tale signs...

good luck

| '07 S6 | '98 M3 vert | '01 M5 | '96 993 C2 cab | '05 S600 Sport - biturbo V12@Just Not Right 495rwhp / 612rwtq |
| '58 TR3A | '01 S8 | '95 S6 6gang | '88 M5 | '87 190E 2.3-16 |
Old 10-27-2014, 02:24 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by krasuskyp View Post
Yes, Jim's got headers so he's running the "early" oil line... you've got the later one that loops around / under the rear of the engine, that gets in the way when you install headers.

And definitely heed his advice regarding the tank fitting, mine buggered the threads upon REMOVAL, and I had to finagle a work around to ensure it sealed.

also, it's quite possible but hard to really tell from your picture that any oil spilled during fill-up or oil filter removal could easily have drizzled down through the holes / seal in the tin and gunk up all of which resides below - check the right rear frame rail in the engine bay for tell tale signs...

good luck
Thanks Krasuskyp! That makes a lot of sense reg the line routing. I will try to get some pics of it on a lift after its been scrubbed out then run for a bit.
Old 10-27-2014, 05:41 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Garage
I got it on a lift and spent and hour with degreaser and rags.

I drove it home which is only about 1.5 miles and the only spot it was leaking was the thermostat/front cooler feed line where it meets with the hardline.

A few days later I drove it for a while to really get it up to temp and It looks like the valve cover gasket is leaking and also the cam chain cover gasket?

Old 11-01-2014, 07:06 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

I started to suggest in my reply that you check the valve cover gasket but really couldn't tell from you pic.

Also, check the cam tower oil line above that chain box.. it could also be leaking Between that the larger line below, and the vc gaskets, it could be oil that just being moved with airflow etc.. also check the nuts on the chain box to ensure they're not loose.

RGruppe #180
So many cars.. so little time!!
Old 11-02-2014, 01:11 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: