Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
Trip West to East after 20 months storage?

Hi guys,
I haven't posted in a while because I haven't had my car in a while.
I left my car in a heated storage in Victoria, BC back in August 2013. I have been in London, UK since. I am moving back to Canada, more specifically to Ottawa (Gatineau for those who know the area).
When I parked the car, it had fresh oil, fresh brake fluid, fairly new R888 tires and it sits with the weight partly on blocks. Everything was working great except it needed new seals on the diverter valve (clicking noise).
As I am moving back in December, I can have the car shipped from Victoria to Ottawa at that time or I was thinking of leaving the car in Victoria for a few more months and driving it across the US in March or April...
I fear a bit that after 20 months storage, a 3000 miles trip may not be the best idea.
Has anybody else stored a car that long? How was it when it came out?
Cheers
David

1985 Black 930, K27 7006, Garretson Intercooler, Adj boost, TB: 23 - 31mm, bielstein sport shocks, ER polybronze bushings front and rear, ER monoball joints front and rear with offset camber plates, 935 X triangulated strut brace, raised spindles, racing bump steer kit
1981 Black 911sc (sold)

Last edited by Roby466; 10-28-2014 at 07:20 AM..
Old 10-28-2014, 06:51 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Send a message via Yahoo to full quack
Yeh, I would want to drive it around a bit before even attempting that distance after a 20 month nap.
Things like "O"rings in the fuel system, corrosion on electrical contacts and down time gremlins, would make me very nervous without first driving it around for several hundred miles with LOTS of cold & hot starts in between.

Mark
Old 10-28-2014, 08:14 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Garage
Considering the gas alone, I simply would find a reputable shipper, and it would come about even(including 3000 miles added to your car).

Save the hassle, and ship it(IMHO).

Good luck!
Old 10-29-2014, 01:23 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Garage
You guys are probably right. I will be off work for about 4 months so that's why I was tempted to do that trip. It would have been great.
The problem I find with the reputable shippers is they are all in the US and the car is in Victoria, BC... an island. So quite a long way out of their normal way.
You guys have recommendations for a shipper?
1985 Black 930, K27 7006, Garretson Intercooler, Adj boost, TB: 23 - 31mm, bielstein sport shocks, ER polybronze bushings front and rear, ER monoball joints front and rear with offset camber plates, 935 X triangulated strut brace, raised spindles, racing bump steer kit
1981 Black 911sc (sold)
Old 10-29-2014, 11:03 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Bah. Where's the sense of adventure. There is nothing like a road trip in a 911 Turbo.

Sounds like you have the time - go up there - change the oil and put some fresh gas in the tank and drive around for a couple days. I bet the car is fine. If not, Plan B.

Enjoy the journey - the open road.

But that's just me.
Denver, CO
Old 10-30-2014, 09:12 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Garage
Could you not take the drive off the island to the shipper?

Also...be careful how others 'guide' you in ways you should spend your time and money(and that also includes me!).
Old 10-30-2014, 09:50 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Send a message via Yahoo to full quack
Well now...in your first post you said nothing about having 4 months of free time!

Hell that changes everything! I'd go out there change to oil, fresh'n up the gas, blast around for awhile, then hit the open road. Bring a girl and make a vacation out of it!

Mark
Old 10-30-2014, 10:04 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)
Tinkering Pays!!

Garage
Make a "memory" -- and, take someone along [or, pick them up 1/2 way]...
Old 10-30-2014, 10:38 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Drive it a little and if it runs good drive the trip.
And there's no reason to change the oil first if you changed it right before storage.
Clean oil doesn't go bad or absorb moisture sitting in the motor and oil tank.
If anything change the brake fluid in the reservoir and bleed the calipers first.
Old 10-30-2014, 11:20 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

I'd blast it around for awhile and make the drive. Nothing like a road trip in a 930.
Not sure what kind of oil you use (synthetic or dino) but I remember reading about oil breaking down in over time once it's introduced into the engine. Something to do with the reaction between the chemicals in the oil and the metals in the motor.
I think the article was written before synthetic oil was popular.
Old 10-30-2014, 12:28 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Garage
Hi guys, I knew I would find people to encourage me to drive on here...
I changed the oil just before putting the car away. I use Liqui Moly (or Lubro Moly) full synthetic.
4 months of free time is great... I have to convince my wife to let me do the trip with one of the kids while she stays home with the 3 other ones... She is used to crazy ideas so I should manage...
1981 Black 911sc (sold)
Old 10-31-2014, 04:39 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)
Tinkering Pays!!

Garage
No you're starting to make 930-cents. Enjoy the trip and take pictures!! Let your kid drive too [even if only steering] that's what I do with the 3, 5 and 7-yr. olds...
Old 10-31-2014, 01:59 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

It depends on your personal sense of adventure/risk? Are you a small business owner?

I would probably ship her and have her tidied up upon arrival.
Old 11-01-2014, 03:32 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

Garage
Yeah, I know there's some risk involved... Not a business owner, I will be on parental leave for a while. The adventure would be great! I have done the trip East to West in a Jeep before through Canada but never through the US, many great places to see! I know shipping is piece of mind but at the same time, much more boring...

1981 Black 911sc (sold)
Old 11-01-2014, 03:59 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: