Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

wheel options (opinions welcomed)

Since I have the car in color, I was looking at the wheels....

What are your thoughts on blacking out the lips with satin or gloss black. I think it would add to the sinister look of the car.

The other option would be to keep the centers anodized and color match the lips....

Old 10-28-2014, 02:52 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Both those options suck. Sell the wheels to me for cheap.

Personally I would leave as is. If I had to make a change I would do flat centers and gloss lips.

That front bumper came out very nice, I was dubious. Be interesting to see with lights mounted.
https://medium.com/@crashingdoor
Old 10-28-2014, 03:12 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

ugh, that's the next dilemma. I have clear markers, but I think I want to smoke them.
Old 10-28-2014, 03:28 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Color match centers and polished lips👍
Old 10-28-2014, 03:45 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
930T Owner

Garage
Personally I would do something different. Go for a gloss black lip and color match the centers. I just did my classics in hyper black centers with gloss black lips. Sinister is definitely an accurate description. I was also thinking Mad Max, in a good way.

Chris.
Old 10-28-2014, 05:38 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
Large Member

Garage
all great suggestions, as is what you have now

really need to see them all in comparo contrasto mode in sequence, ala photochop

I somewhat think color matched lips would be too disco'd out

I'd want to avoid it being too murdered out, as stands now the anodized lips brings out the sheen in the matte with good compliment. Tho I could see it looking darker and more sinister too.

Great help eh?

Someone with das mad photoshop skillz yo, please hook this brutha up?

| '07 S6 | '98 M3 vert | '01 M5 | '96 993 C2 cab | '05 S600 Sport - biturbo V12@Just Not Right 495rwhp / 612rwtq |
| '58 TR3A | '01 S8 | '95 S6 6gang | '88 M5 | '87 190E 2.3-16 |
Old 10-28-2014, 05:55 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Color matching the centers can really date the look. For something unique color match the lips, while crazy sounding it works with some colors.
https://medium.com/@crashingdoor
Old 10-28-2014, 06:27 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)
930T Owner

Garage
I just think getting away from the shiny lips is a good thing. Something you could do is shot-peen the lips to give them a matte look. Or you could brush them out to give them a sheen instead of being shiny. I have a set of wheels the have brushed lips and they look nice. However the black lips look really killer because it gives the car a very aggressive look.

Just thoughts for you.
Old 10-28-2014, 06:32 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Send a message via Yahoo to full quack
Yeh, with the matte blue body and the matte black trim pieces, the polished lips do look a tad off.

Man that's a tough one...body color matched centers does put you right back into the 90's, all black in any guise just looks too heavy and removes one layer of detail for the car. All black wheels just simply disappear and look like big heavy black blobs.

Your matte on matte motif does make things challenging at best. What is your intent with the end overall statement? Do you want the wheels to blend with compliment, or is your intent to blend with contrast?

Hummmmm.... maybe satin finish the lips and the faces of the spokes, but leave the background black or.... ???

Mark

Last edited by full quack; 10-28-2014 at 07:52 PM..
Old 10-28-2014, 07:48 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)
Non User

Garage
Mask them and use plastidip, if you like, get them done properly. I like the murdered look, been meaning to do it to my DD. I think the lips should match the trim.
'76 Turbo Carrera #311 - Factory LSD, Sport Seats
'75 914 GT clone project
'71 914 track car
Old 10-28-2014, 07:50 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

I think matte black would be badass. I've always thought color matched wheels looked a bit cheesy and the polished lips def. stand out.
I like Hams930s suggestion about the shotpeening. But black would def. give it a more sinister look. Whatever you decide though, it would be hard to go wrong. Your car looks amazing.
Old 10-28-2014, 08:18 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)
River Rat

I have no opinion on the subject
1986 930 - K27-7200, Andial Intercooler, Tial Wastegate, Electronic Boost Controller, B&B headers, Bodart Zork, Leask Adjustable WUR, Full Elephant Racing Suspension w/Adustable Spring Plates and Von Shocks, Wevo Transmission Mounts, Fuel Safe Fuel Cell, Forgelines (9"/11"), Hargett Shifter, Innovate AFR, Cobra CF Seats, DAS Rollbar, Coleman Floating Rotors, Lightweight Interior, Forgeline 17" x 9"/11", 2800 lbs.
Old 10-29-2014, 02:09 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tug68 View Post
Color match centers and polished lips👍
This right here.

All black wheels...no bueno
Old 10-29-2014, 03:16 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

Garage
First off your matte blue paint looks incredible!!

Personally i'm always a fan of the wheels contrasting the body, so i'd personally try all gloss black wheels to contrast the matte body.

Good luck tho! I'm sure no matter what you choose it'll look badass!! And don't forgot to post finished pics!!
Old 10-29-2014, 03:41 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

Badass looking car with great stance!

I like it as is.

MAY BE an improvement will be changing the shiny lips for a "brush" looking finish, ala RSR.
Old 10-29-2014, 04:36 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)

I think color matching the centers with polished lips will give it a "dated" look.

I was considering leaving the centers the way they are, the anodizing is fairly reflective but not glossy. So if I do gloss or satin rings, they would contrast well.

I have been a fan of this look, but the all flat wheel looks a little bland.

Old 10-29-2014, 05:38 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)

I like the blue/black look...

My work van.

Old 10-29-2014, 11:58 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)

Garage
Thats a badass looking work van you have too!

Is that paint on your 911 or plastidip? Either way I love the colour!!
Old 10-29-2014, 12:49 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)

Wheels. They make a car. And are soooo personal. ANd opinions are like....

If you keep those wheels - I'd probably leave as is.

But if you get different wheels - and this probably won't be popular - since you're not going for a conservative look, the right wheel done in white could look very cool with that color paint job.

Car looks great - keep it up.
Denver, CO
Old 10-29-2014, 01:13 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)

Quote:
Thats a badass looking work van you have too!

Is that paint on your 911 or plastidip? Either way I love the colour!!
Thanks. The van has 400+ HP and 800 lb/ft torque. With the current tune it gets 4 mpg better than my gas van too. And 4WD!

Paint. It's completely different looking with gloss clear on it too. If you look at the last page of my build thread I have a pic of it glossed up.

Old 10-29-2014, 01:14 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #20 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: