Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
Sold the 930

It's been fun and like any good relationship that ends you need to say good-bye to the friends you made along the way! I will be dedicating my time to my 996TT which I hope to track more often now that I have the time and space free.

I see another 930 in my future but I just don't believe the prices on these cars is sustainable. If they drop back to sane levels I'll do it again.

Old 11-05-2014, 10:37 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Garage
Have you ever seen the prices on any aircooled Porsche come down again after a spike?
That would require decreased demand.......I don't see that happening.
They are very special and distinctive cars in the history of motoring and millions of people love them and lust after them.

I hope you will reaqire a 930 fast and that you will come back to this section of Pelican ;-)
Old 11-05-2014, 12:19 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Garage
I know of an '89 Gran-Prix Weiss 930 that's been willed to great-grandchildren once the current owner joins Ferry in the skies above and it passes to his son who'll be passing it to his son, etc...
And so, (basic)economically speaking, values cannot go down for the legendarily discontinued Weissach-Special when demand for it grows or even remains constant.
Old 11-05-2014, 12:52 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Good luck! You will be back!
Old 11-05-2014, 01:00 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
beancounter

I can't fault anyone who decides its time to cash in the chips. Quitting while you're ahead is not unwise. There are a lot of cool cars out there, and beyond cars, lots of cool things one can do with the cash aside from parking it in a 930. Don't get me wrong, I don't think there is any substitute for a 930, however you only go around once so do what makes you happy.
Old 11-05-2014, 01:15 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwasbury View Post
I can't fault anyone who decides its time to cash in the chips. Quitting while you're ahead is not unwise. There are a lot of cool cars out there, and beyond cars, lots of cool things one can do with the cash aside from parking it in a 930. Don't get me wrong, I don't think there is any substitute for a 930, however you only go around once so do what makes you happy.
the only substitute for a good 930 is a 427 cobra...and that is a 7 figure car.
Old 11-05-2014, 01:34 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Your car was not pleased with this... It's soul reached out and faded the picture you took.
I tried to bring some of the color back but it's not all there...
Old 11-05-2014, 01:42 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)
Crotchety Old Bastard

Garage
I guess everyone has forgotten about the recession that slam dunked prices 8 years ago. The 930 went from $35K to $20K overnight along with every other "toy" such as muscle cars planes and boats.
Crazy to think it won't happen again
Old 11-05-2014, 01:48 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RarlyL8 View Post
I guess everyone has forgotten about the recession that slam dunked prices 8 years ago. The 930 went from $35K to $20K overnight along with every other "toy" such as muscle cars planes and boats.
agreed. and sadly the younger generation couldn't give two *****s about cars. doubt values will keep going up once the old guard dies off.
Old 11-05-2014, 02:32 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Quote:
You're not kidding, anything is possible...but at the current moment prices are great(for sellers)..even for the modified class...everything rises with the tides. It's tough seeing it parked in the garage...especially through the winter(summer tires no bueno in the cold grounds). I've thought about it..once or twice..then I come to my senses..lol. Seriously do what makes one feel right...someday a 997gt3rs may take her place where my 930 lives.....in the far distant future..
Old 11-05-2014, 02:43 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Of course a general recession or crisis can slam dunk anything for a longer or shorter period of time.
That is a scenario that may or may not happen and it is a discussion that has little to do with the market positions of particular classic cars.

One could even argue, that within those 8 years the 930 has moved into a different asset class.......one that dollars would rather flood towards than away from, in case of further recession/crisis in the future.

Compared to numerous other classic cars the 930 should cost a lot more than current prices.
We are talking about one of the worlds most iconic sport cars.
I always wondered how the hell they could be so low for so long.
To me that seemed crazy unsustainable.

Its position was suppressed for years due to badmouthing throughout the "Porsche world" by a lot of old guys (amateur- and professional experts) hanging on to, and preaching carburetor / MFI / narrowbody dogmatism.

That has changed for sure!
And I simply can not see why the current price levels should be the limit for the 930.
Old 11-05-2014, 03:23 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by clutch-monkey View Post
agreed. and sadly the younger generation couldn't give two *****s about cars. doubt values will keep going up once the old guard dies off.
What??? it is the younger generation that wants these cars badly and the old guard that keeps up the trash talking.
Old 11-05-2014, 03:36 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferraripete View Post
the only substitute for a good 930 is a 427 cobra...and that is a 7 figure car.
LMAO when I read that, because, what else compares to a 930???
Old 11-05-2014, 03:43 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

[QUOTE=cover;8340433

Its position was suppressed for years due to badmouthing throughout the "Porsche world" by a lot of old guys (amateur- and professional experts) hanging on to, and preaching carburetor / MFI / narrowbody dogmatism.
[/QUOTE]

Thanks for saying that. It was their position for a long time. Suppressing or calling it a B cruiser. Some were used or built this way especially in CA back when new. So what, Porsche never advocated how to use it.

Last edited by voitureltd; 11-05-2014 at 06:22 PM..
Old 11-05-2014, 04:20 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

[QUOTE]
Quote:
Originally Posted by cover;8340433

[/QUOTE

Thanks for saying that. It was their position for a long time. Suppressing or calling it a B cruiser. Some were used or built this way especially in CA back when new. So what, Porsche never advocated how to use it.
All this much deserved attention is nice and decades overdue but we need a proper 930 registry encompassing all production years. The 3.0 registry was a nice thought but poorly maintained and no real interest in it. I'm sure someone here can help.

Last edited by tonypeoni; 11-05-2014 at 04:38 PM..
Old 11-05-2014, 04:31 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)

Garage
These cars are amazing, iconic, and everything we think they are. I just don't understand how so many people out there can afford the prices on every single car that seems iconic to them. The 930 is not the only car appreciating and I know of too many people who now have small collections of cars that have no business collecting them because all of their money is tied up in them. I mean have you seen the prices on Triumphs and MGs just to name a couple?

I think I will take a break for a little bit and see where prices are in the winter when nothing sells. I already miss the car but there are a lot on the market right now so maybe....
Old 11-06-2014, 06:29 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)

Point of no return... unless you pay more than what you got for it, that's business!
Old 11-06-2014, 10:49 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by cover View Post
What??? it is the younger generation that wants these cars badly and the old guard that keeps up the trash talking.
how young are you talking? i'm talking the iphone generation who are barely interested in getting their driver's license.
Old 11-06-2014, 01:09 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)

The problem is younger people can't always afford them, not because they don't give a ****. The 930 is nearing unobtanium for the younger generation. I'm 28, and barely was able to comfortably afford my 930 (and I got it for a darn good price too!). It's the early Gen Y and late Gen X demographic, i.e. Magnus Walker followers, who have made a significant contribution to the rise in prices of these cars.
Old 11-06-2014, 02:03 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by clutch-monkey View Post
how young are you talking? i'm talking the iphone generation who are barely interested in getting their driver's license.
OK :-)
Yes, the smartphone generation appears to be a little lost.
They may come around when they grow older.
But I also suspect that most of them will never aquire the skills necessary to keep and maintain a classic car.......even if they wanted to.

An old school firebreathing sport car will still attract a lot of attention from the youngsters.
It just seems even more exotic to them.

And you can still run into a young true petrolhead once in a while.

Last edited by cover; 11-06-2014 at 02:40 PM..
Old 11-06-2014, 02:17 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #20 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: