Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Crotchety Old Bastard

Garage
Why is there a Russian dating singles dot com ad in the Pelican browser?

The level of pervasive advertising is getting ridiculous. I'd much rather see an ad for, oh I don't know, maybe some thing you can BUY ON THIS SITE.
Geesh

Old 11-05-2014, 07:32 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Might want to clear your cookies, Brian ...
By United States Marines.
Old 11-05-2014, 07:49 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
OG

Garage
Yup ^^^
1987 930 GP White Woooosh!!!!!! Burble burble!! Hahaha
Old 11-05-2014, 07:54 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by nkowi View Post
Might want to clear your cookies, Brian ...
Those cookies leave a trail
Old 11-05-2014, 08:42 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Download and run malwarebytes. The free version is good and will probably take care of it.
Old 11-05-2014, 08:59 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Garage
i think if you clear your browser history it might take care of it as well, but yes you should periodically clear all that crap out. every time you search(or someone in your house) it will leave a trail and the advertising engines grab the trail and put things up they think might interest you. Does the Russian girl come with a Porsche?
15 Ram Eco Diesel
Old 11-06-2014, 03:47 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)
Crotchety Old Bastard

Garage
What in the heck are these clowns grabbing? Unless my 16 year old son is looking for a Russian bride on line there is nothing to associate with this goofy stuff. Now if he IS looking for mail order brides we have a bigger issue ...
Old 11-06-2014, 04:04 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Probably in your browser. I get Door and hardware stuff in mine.
Old 11-06-2014, 04:23 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RarlyL8 View Post
What in the heck are these clowns grabbing? Unless my 16 year old son is looking for a Russian bride on line there is nothing to associate with this goofy stuff. Now if he IS looking for mail order brides we have a bigger issue ...
Come'on Brian give the kid a chance to learn Russian... BTW, do you want to go for a spirited drive, around your area's twisties, this coming weekend?
Old 11-06-2014, 04:35 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)
Rocket Scientist

I ordered three of them. They are out in the garage right now measuring conrod center to center lengths, wearing only those furry Russian hats.
Old 11-06-2014, 04:47 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Clearing you Browser will not help. The Info that triggered the targeting has already been sent to the Google Borg. You can switch computers, log into Gmail and it will start again.

The man is tracking you ..

Have an ipone, mac or Use Itunes ? it is worse that man is tracking you.

Google Analytics ...and here is some of what they will admit to:

"Google Analytics, a web analytics service provided by Google, Inc. (“Google”). Google Analytics uses “cookies”, which are text files placed on your computer, to help the website analyze how users use the site. The information generated by the cookie about your use of the website will be transmitted to and stored by Google on servers in the United States ."

What they don't tell you google, your Windows Box is constantly sending Google analytics packets to their servers . Contained in these packets ...Recent Websites viewed, Geo location , demographic info, recent purchases, partial credit card info ect ect . They are easy to capture and wire shark lists them as what they are but the are encrypted (ssl-443) not too hard to crack ..right now with low cyphers ....No telling what the packets will contain when they start to use 2k and higher cyphers and Google can really hide what they are doing.

Same for Apple.

you are being tracked for pure commercial reasons ? or other ? you decide

a scary part is this info can be accessed by the authorities without a search warrant because it is viewed the same as a Pen register

Pen register - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

what to do ?

use Ubuntu, get an IPS intrusion prevention system one that has filters for these packets

surf anonymously (private window) , use a web proxy service (hidemyass)

There are no standards /rules/ RFC's for internet security equipment so if you buy something it will not neccissarliy work ( Cisco systems sells security snake oil )

I work at TippingPoint we make security that works

I grew up in Germany with my Grandparents telling me aboit the Stazi , My grandfather was caught behind the wall .

happy surfing
Old 11-06-2014, 04:59 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

have you been searching for a new wife....

i searched for a new shop vac and now i see ads for shop vacs. hum..

its funny. everyone gets mad when the govt spies on them when looking for terrorists but when google (or pelican) spies/tracks what they do and look at, no one seems to mind.

its not like wayne needs another 962 that he needs the money. that was one of the things i use to respect about this site was the lack of advertising, now he is tracking me.
08 VOLVO V70 190K:: [__] RUNNING: [__] NOT RUNNING:
90 B2200[__] RUNNING:[] NOT RUNNING:__2000 MER E320 WAGON [] WRECKED:[]RUNNING:
Old 11-06-2014, 05:19 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Brando

Garage
I design jewelry. You can imagine how irritating it can be when someone else's designs are plastered all over your computer because you were searching design material a customer liked. I don't copy but customers "need" a style element and I look at what they said they like so I can put an element into what they asked for. I almost need to look privately in order to get it away from my ad sections. Used to bother me more. Now I just don't care.
It's funy when elegant designs sit next to motor oil add. Just seems to sum me up perfectly.
Old 11-06-2014, 05:58 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)
Crotchety Old Bastard

Garage
Geez this is nuts to allow spying on everyone to this extent. The Russian bride banner was on Pelicans site, not my personal email home page. I'm guessing my profile is targeted as I also get ED ads, AARP, you name it. Crap for old guys, none of which I have ever even enquired about. What's next car GPS that tells you when you drive near a store that sells stuff you like?
Old 11-06-2014, 07:39 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)
Brando

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by RarlyL8 View Post
Geez this is nuts to allow spying on everyone to this extent. The Russian bride banner was on Pelicans site, not my personal email home page. I'm guessing my profile is targeted as I also get ED ads, AARP, you name it. Crap for old guys, none of which I have ever even enquired about. What's next car GPS that tells you when you drive near a store that sells stuff you like?
No you're phone will do that now if you sign up for it.
Old 11-06-2014, 08:02 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Black_Hat View Post
what to do ?

use Ubuntu, get an IPS intrusion prevention system one that has filters for these packets
Cool! I believe this is good advice, but will require a bunch of research before we can act on it. Can you please share some more specific instructions for us less informed?

For example how does one id those packets in order to filter them? I was thinking of setting up a pc (Ubuntu, whatever) as a filter between my house and the internet, but not sure where to start and what would be sufficient.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black_Hat View Post
I grew up in Germany with my Grandparents telling me aboit the Stazi , My grandfather was caught behind the wall .

happy surfing
I just recently read a book about the Stasi in east Germany: "Stasiland." Was a real eye opener for me. What a bunch of sickos they were and fascinating that the whole culture went along with it.

More relevant to this forum: sometimes I think the ads on pelican totally hose my browser, I refresh they go away and then the forum is readable again.

Aaand just to keep things slightly 930 relevant, here's a photo I took this morning:

Old 11-06-2014, 08:03 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)

Black Hat knows what he is talking about - surely the source of his moniker (if you google it, use a private browsing window of course!)

Although this does nothing to stop the data harvesting, I find that if I put one thing in the shopping cart while visiting summitracing those ads obliterate every other cookie-driven ad on all my browsing for months (or until I clear my history and cookies)...

“The only thing we learn from history is that we learn nothing from history.” ― Georg Wilhelm Friedrich Hegel
Old 11-06-2014, 09:11 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by zakthor;8341403Aaand just to keep things slightly 930 relevant, here's a photo I took this morning:

[img
http://forums.pelicanparts.com/uploads24/parked930_011415293367.jpg[/img]
Spectacular color and great photo
email: info@turbokraft.com
http://www.facebook.com/TurboKraft - http://www.instagram.com/TurboKraft
Old 11-06-2014, 09:39 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)

Adrenaline Junkie

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by turbo owner View Post
Those cookies leave a trail
I could sure use a cookie right now.
Old 11-06-2014, 09:43 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)
gearhead

A cookie? That car takes the cake...

2008 Cayman S Mule
Old 11-06-2014, 09:55 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #20 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: