Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Fuchs: painting them + center caps

I'm going to have my Fuchs painted from black (faded) to OEM body-color. Any advice there? Do I just have the body shop look up the OEM factory paint code, and have him paint the wheels that color? Given that the lip is silver, is there no need to dismount the tire from the wheels? Any other advice greatly appreciated.

Also- Where can I find OEM "painted" crest center caps for the Fuchs? Did not see them here at Pelican.

Old 11-10-2014, 05:35 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Painted caps are available from Pelican. 1982 Porsche 911 SC Coupe - Wheels & Related - Page 2

Yes, the shop can look up the paint code for your car to get an exact match. They should be able to tape off the outside rim and tires to do the work.

If you get new painted center caps they will need to be painted to match the OEM color as well. The Porsche crest can be taped over. Most competent body shops should be able to handle this task.

Wayne

Last edited by Oh Haha; 11-10-2014 at 07:45 AM..
Old 11-10-2014, 07:42 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

I'm almost embarrassed to tell you how I did it:

They were driving me crazy, so I used a rattle can of "BBQ black", some newspapers, and a roll of "frog tape". They'll never win a concours, but until I decide to go to that level, they will be just fine.

I would imagine that painting them body color would be almost as easy, as long as you have the paint code.
Old 11-10-2014, 08:12 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Thanks. There are other painted center crests available on eBay as well (only black and silver center backgrounds, though).

There are also DIYs here on Pelican to paint them yourself. based on the one Pelican review from the link provided earlier, I might be able to paint it better myself. and one DIY on vwvortex. I might end up doing this as a winter DIY project.
Old 11-10-2014, 08:34 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

That's what I would do(paint the original caps versus buying). Have the body shop paint them in the OEM color with the wheels.

My wife did ours when I had the original 15 inch Fuchs on the SC. A standing magnifying glass is useful. I think she purchased the paint at a hobby store.

Wayne
Old 11-10-2014, 10:40 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: