Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
'Garage Queen/Trophy' versus 'Driver'...

Hearing about garage-queens(and how they should be driven), I spend 6 months in Sugarland TX, doing some consulting.

Now we know, many buy these cars not to be driven, but kept as a status symbol or a trophy.

For those who love to drive these cars, I believe some of them get relegated to 'garage-queens' because there is simply no good places to truly exploit what a Porsche was meant to do, and it begs like a dog to be driven. 5 years now since
my conversion to the 3.3L turbo, and not a single ticket. Yes you can drive your car
at or close to the limit, but there is a time to lay low, an a time to open up that 55-gallon drum of whup-ass.

While in TX, I was bored to tears with no mountains, Oceans(as in PCH), or Desert to drive my car, as I also like to enjoy the scenery out the window, and the sunbelt states are wonderful to own targa (which I would never consider anywhere else).

I don't drive my car every day. But 2-3 times a week...we both get some exercise!

Old 11-23-2014, 09:47 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Crotchety Old Bastard

Garage
I built the Red Rocket when I lived in IL and man was that a boring place to drive. Miles of straight roads for top end runs but curves are rare. I used to run the cloverleafs connecting the state roads to the interstate before they called it drifting. Now I live in AL and the opposite is true, lots of mountains and curves. A Porsche driver's dream. Love it. If I can figure out a good place to mount a camera I'll do a hill climb style run over thanksgiving an post it.
I opened that 55 gal drum last weekend on a Honda that tried to pass me on the outside merge lane. As soon as got the car straight enough to stop spinning the tires he quickly became a spec in the rear view. I love having a clunker.
Old 11-23-2014, 10:07 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by RarlyL8 View Post
I built the Red Rocket when I lived in IL and man was that a boring place to drive. Miles of straight roads for top end runs but curves are rare. I used to run the cloverleafs connecting the state roads to the interstate before they called it drifting. Now I live in AL and the opposite is true, lots of mountains and curves. A Porsche driver's dream. Love it. If I can figure out a good place to mount a camera I'll do a hill climb style run over thanksgiving an post it.
I opened that 55 gal drum last weekend on a Honda that tried to pass me on the outside merge lane. As soon as got the car straight enough to stop spinning the tires he quickly became a spec in the rear view. I love having a clunker.
Isn't that the best feeling in the world...when someone try's some shyte like that, and then when you look in the rear view mirror...you're already in another zip-code!

I want to see that video post!
Old 11-23-2014, 11:05 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
Metal Guru

Garage
Quote:
I opened that 55 gal drum last weekend on a Honda that tried to pass me on the outside merge lane.
Amazing that a Honda transportation appliance thought he was gettin' by you Brian.
Two weeks ago I had a similar experience at a crossroads that others have tried and failed to race me across (13 Mile road crossing Telegraph road from west to east for the Detroiters who may be keeping score). A Fusion tried to take me in the r/h passing lane, which is rather short. He was alongside me in first (I admit to not pushing very hard at this point). Second gear is where the magic occurs and when I stood on it, he had dropped back 75 feet inside of 3 seconds.
Never miss an opportunity to hoon your car.
Port matched, SC cams, K27/K29 turbo, Roush Performance custom headers w/Tial MV-S dual wastegates, Rarlyl8 muffler, LWFW, GT2 clutch & PP, BL wur, factory RS shifter, RS mounts, FVD timing mod, Big Reds, - 210 lb
Old 11-23-2014, 11:48 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
Crotchety Old Bastard

Garage
Quote:
A Fusion tried to take me in the r/h passing lane, which is rather short. He was alongside me in first (I admit to not pushing very hard at this point). Second gear is where the magic occurs and when I stood on it, he had dropped back 75 feet inside of 3 seconds.
That is exactly what happened in my case as well. 2nd gear pulls really hard in my car. His loud fart can betrayed him so he didn't get much of a jump on me.
Old 11-23-2014, 12:35 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Quote:
That is exactly what happened in my case as well. 2nd gear pulls really hard in my car. His loud fart can betrayed him so he didn't get much of a jump on me.
Fart can....I love it! I deal with young kids in their hopped up and lowered Hondas all the time. These are good Hispanic kids who compete among themselves and spend lots of change on the "propper sounding" muffler designed to add turbo-like bolt on power. But really, it just adds noise. I love it when these guys run 'em up to redline, with blue oil smoke pouring out the back end.

Usually, when these dudes want to hook 'em up with me, it's not because they think they have a prayer of winning. It's more to calibrate what their car isn't, and to report back to their buds on who they just raced against....and almost won!
Mark H. 1987 930, GP White, Wevo shifter, Borla exhaust, stock everything else. The result of a massive Pelicanite good will fire recovery effort. Truely an open book, ready for the slippery slopes to modification.
Old 11-23-2014, 02:24 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

River Rat

Bought my first 911 back in 1985 and while I've enjoyed owning road-going Porsches, I always thought there had to be something else ... Then I discovered DE's. Best thing I've every done and hopefully I will be doing it for a long time. I would suggest that you take your street car out on the track for just one day to see what you are (potentially) missing. What was my garage queen now has some beautiful track patina and she seems happier.
1986 930 - K27-7200, Andial Intercooler, Tial Wastegate, Electronic Boost Controller, B&B headers, Bodart Zork, Leask Adjustable WUR, Full Elephant Racing Suspension w/Adustable Spring Plates and Von Shocks, Wevo Transmission Mounts, Fuel Safe Fuel Cell, Forgelines (9"/11"), Hargett Shifter, Innovate AFR, Cobra CF Seats, DAS Rollbar, Coleman Floating Rotors, Lightweight Interior, Forgeline 17" x 9"/11", 2800 lbs.

Last edited by Dave 86 930 Fl; 11-24-2014 at 03:13 AM..
Old 11-24-2014, 02:40 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)
River Rat

Happy 930

1986 930 - K27-7200, Andial Intercooler, Tial Wastegate, Electronic Boost Controller, B&B headers, Bodart Zork, Leask Adjustable WUR, Full Elephant Racing Suspension w/Adustable Spring Plates and Von Shocks, Wevo Transmission Mounts, Fuel Safe Fuel Cell, Forgelines (9"/11"), Hargett Shifter, Innovate AFR, Cobra CF Seats, DAS Rollbar, Coleman Floating Rotors, Lightweight Interior, Forgeline 17" x 9"/11", 2800 lbs.
Old 11-24-2014, 03:14 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Garage
If I had a second Porsche for just tracking, then I would consider it, but my street car set-up makes it comfortable as an everyday driver and fast enough(for me).

My dream car really is to have a convertible Karman Ghia, cream colored with a black top...and a bone stock 3.3L in it. With about 1800lbs and 300HP, this 'sleeper' should be pretty fun(or scary!)

Have to make a few more bucks though.
Old 11-25-2014, 01:37 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tilikum Turbo View Post
If I had a second Porsche for just tracking, then I would consider it, but my street car set-up makes it comfortable as an everyday driver and fast enough(for me).

My dream car really is to have a convertible Karman Ghia, cream colored with a black top...and a bone stock 3.3L in it. With about 1800lbs and 300HP, this 'sleeper' should be pretty fun(or scary!)

Have to make a few more bucks though.
What about a Karmann Ghia designed around a Boxster but using actual Karmann Ghia body panels..saw this at this year's Swap Meet
Old 11-25-2014, 04:53 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

A Ghia, huh? That's a really nice example. I drove one way the hell back in some early time of my life (like late 60's/early early 70's) and really liked it. Gutless, of course, but even with the VW engine it was a lot of fun. Can just imagine what some serious HP would do to it. Always tempted to snap one up if ever I see one for sale, but they're becoming rather unobtanium lately and starting to command a pretty good price.

BTW, my "garage queen" (yeah, right) has been a "driveway-under-cover" queen the last few months. Seen dust storms, rain, and snow so far (and sat for 5 weeks between runs, and lit right up in about a half a crank!). With any luck, give me a week or two and she'll be back home in a warm heated garage. The truth: Never ever shall I ever have a garage queen, no matter how pristine. Cars that sit eventually rot and lose value. Plus, I see little value in only drooling and never driving. Life is too precious to deny the urge and privilege of being behind the wheel of one of the world's greatest supercars.
Mark H. 1987 930, GP White, Wevo shifter, Borla exhaust, stock everything else. The result of a massive Pelicanite good will fire recovery effort. Truely an open book, ready for the slippery slopes to modification.

Last edited by mark houghton; 11-25-2014 at 06:30 PM..
Old 11-25-2014, 06:20 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark houghton View Post
Cars that sit eventually rot and lose value. Plus, I see little value in only drooling and never driving. Life is too precious to deny the urge and privilege of being behind the wheel of one of the world's greatest supercars.
Great thought!!!

I'm with you...
Old 11-26-2014, 04:43 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by speednme1 View Post
What about a Karmann Ghia designed around a Boxster but using actual Karmann Ghia body panels..saw this at this year's Swap Meet
That's pretty slick...if I went that far, I would have to find some way to have the stock wheels from the original Ghia on it, as those shown(and massive brakes kind of give it away.

Something also about the original Ghia which was so spartan and plain inside(like the old Microbus dashes) which I loved.
Old 11-26-2014, 06:28 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

Another awesome Karmann Ghia with 911 power:

A Karmann Ghia with a mighty heart. Ghia 993 RS. | Retro Rides

Yup, nothing like a 993 RS drivetrain to motivate the little KG!

email: info@turbokraft.com
http://www.facebook.com/TurboKraft - http://www.instagram.com/TurboKraft
Old 11-28-2014, 09:02 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: