Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
Whats the deal with that?

Well
in the seventies and eighties during the Oil scare and all that and 99 percent of all the worlds cars were detuned , decylindarised, de turboised, turned into lettuce eating tortoises

but come the rebels the , 930's , Ferrari, Corvette Stingrays?, Lambos? (famous ones that i know of) sports cars manufacturers bucking the petrol price scare trend and leaving the pack behind, with forced induction , or bigger engines, more power........

Now match all of these up in a drag.....0-100, 0-200 doesnt matter,
930 is faster than a 454 V8 Corvette Stingray actually it was the fastest of them all,
i think the vette got closest to it in 0-100 about 8 or so seconds?? but was still 3 seconds out thats a BIG gap
So why is the 930 second to the ferrari in stature/price?
these cars were firstly about performance werent they?
or was it looks?
But its not only faster its better looking than a ferrari as well!

Published times a popular and differing depending where and what you read,

ive read in 0 to 100kmh or 0 to 62mph the following facts based upon the tester or magazine
in the manual i think mine says 5.2 seconds in 0 to 100kmh

(Porsche have always been extremely conservative especially in older cars, how much conservative?

I read an old 4 wheels magazine they got a 1978 or 1979 model 930 a 0-62mph time of 4.8 seconds !

And theres guys here on PP that complain how theyre getting dragged off by isuzus??

a well driven 930 with a 4.8 second time is a full 0.1 sec faster than the fastest of the Subaru WRX's the Famous WRX STI which does the 0-100 in 4.9 seconds and deemed the fastest production car in australia at time of printing in 2013

So whats the deal with that?

why do people here (actually there in the US) say they are getting dragged off?
is it their driving style?
are they nancy girls?
are their cars clapped out and neglected
all of the above?

Are US 930's really a different type of car that they really do get dragged off by 4 bangers? that can not be true, and if it isnt true then the next person here to complain they want more power cos a nun on a bike dragged them off call them a nancy girl, or as ronnie once said a Pooftie?

Another tihng,
i tihnk RTarly last year posted a graph of some before and after tuning shots,
drive in car had about 140hp
after tune, mix etc, 240hp
then IC another 50 or something,

So right there shows that theres probably more than a few cars here that are running well below their potential

WHAts the deal with that??

Fix your car!
If you complain about getting dragged off its because your neglecting it!

Old 12-01-2014, 05:25 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
7.0:1 > 11.3:1

Garage
Not sure which 930 owner you're talking about getting blown OFF by a 4 banger, but here's a picture of my racing studz. I know you'll appreciate this!

Last edited by Jim2; 12-01-2014 at 07:09 PM..
Old 12-01-2014, 05:39 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
Bad LT

I got dragged off a girl once but that's a whole nother story.
Old 12-01-2014, 06:29 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
Banned

^^^ Did her girlfriend drag you off?!?!?!

Last edited by Ronnie's.930; 12-01-2014 at 06:36 PM..
Old 12-01-2014, 06:33 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Garage
Wow, lots of recreational drug use then. You weren't part of that, or were you?
Old 12-01-2014, 06:37 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
Banned

Given the current state of the fuse & relay panel in Robby's 930, I'm certain that even Fred Flintstone would have his way with him in a drag race situation!

Robby, is that where all that pooftie-talk in your post is coming from?!?!
Old 12-01-2014, 06:48 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbbyg View Post
Well
in the seventies and eighties during the Oil scare and all that and 99 percent of all the worlds cars were detuned , decylindarised, de turboised, turned into lettuce eating tortoises

but come the rebels the , 930's , Ferrari, Corvette Stingrays?, Lambos? (famous ones that i know of) sports cars manufacturers bucking the petrol price scare trend and leaving the pack behind, with forced induction , or bigger engines, more power........

Now match all of these up in a drag.....0-100, 0-200 doesnt matter,
930 is faster than a 454 V8 Corvette Stingray actually it was the fastest of them all,
i think the vette got closest to it in 0-100 about 8 or so seconds?? but was still 3 seconds out thats a BIG gap
So why is the 930 second to the ferrari in stature/price?
these cars were firstly about performance werent they?
or was it looks?
But its not only faster its better looking than a ferrari as well!

Published times a popular and differing depending where and what you read,

ive read in 0 to 100kmh or 0 to 62mph the following facts based upon the tester or magazine
in the manual i think mine says 5.2 seconds in 0 to 100kmh

(Porsche have always been extremely conservative especially in older cars, how much conservative?

I read an old 4 wheels magazine they got a 1978 or 1979 model 930 a 0-62mph time of 4.8 seconds !

And theres guys here on PP that complain how theyre getting dragged off by isuzus??

a well driven 930 with a 4.8 second time is a full 0.1 sec faster than the fastest of the Subaru WRX's the Famous WRX STI which does the 0-100 in 4.9 seconds and deemed the fastest production car in australia at time of printing in 2013

So whats the deal with that?

why do people here (actually there in the US) say they are getting dragged off?
is it their driving style?
are they nancy girls?
are their cars clapped out and neglected
all of the above?

Are US 930's really a different type of car that they really do get dragged off by 4 bangers? that can not be true, and if it isnt true then the next person here to complain they want more power cos a nun on a bike dragged them off call them a nancy girl, or as ronnie once said a Pooftie?

Another tihng,
i tihnk RTarly last year posted a graph of some before and after tuning shots,
drive in car had about 140hp
after tune, mix etc, 240hp
then IC another 50 or something,

So right there shows that theres probably more than a few cars here that are running well below their potential

WHAts the deal with that??

Fix your car!
Main reason this info is a closely guarded secret by them and not spoken. Just go to any of the other cars mentioned events or just about any car event and listen to the BS. Or like in the last Mecum auction televised those muscle car gurus moderating, not just ignoring Porsche, but would never mention these facts. Too bad, their loss. When I go to the vintage races it is pretty obvious that any car close to most Porsches in the same class, all that is left production stock or race parts that were supplied thru their racing department at production time, are the tail lights. Even then they usually look pretty weak.

Last edited by voitureltd; 12-02-2014 at 05:50 AM..
Old 12-02-2014, 05:41 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

What........

this again

If im going to drag race i will do it one of my camaros......574rwtq @ 3000 rpms will do
'73 914 1.7 Webers & Header ... sold
'74 VW 1303S 1600cc DP Web 110 & Solex

Last edited by Das Schnell Ei; 12-02-2014 at 05:53 AM..
Old 12-02-2014, 05:49 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)
E-85 sippin drunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbbyg View Post
Well
Fix your car!
HUH?? Robbie, You telling others to fix their car... is like Mike Tyson telling folks not to bite others!!! SMDH
Brad...930 gt-1 racecar, increased displacement to 3.6L, JB racing Cylinders, JE 8 to1 pistons, stroked crank, Carrillo rods, extrudehoned 3.2L intake, full bay Bell I/C, GT-2 EVO cams, Rarly8 headers, GTX-3584RS turbo, twin plug, P&P heads, Link G4 EFi system, G-50/50 with LTD slip and oil squirters/oil cooler, zork tube, full race coilover system, with carbon fiber body, full cage, E-85 sippin drunk
Old 12-02-2014, 05:50 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Lonnnnng reading... what is this about...?
Old 12-02-2014, 06:03 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miguel Antonett View Post
Drag, versus trailer queens, I think.
By United States Marines.
Old 12-02-2014, 06:23 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Quote:
Probably da ja vu. I think he was referring to the revisionists neglecting the supercar status of the 930 vs the other production cars of the time. Fact is, over time this info is either ignored or revised. Ferrari, Corvette and others were not in the game at that time but this was and is, hardly ever mentioned, except places like this. Preaching to the choir? Once more for the folks.

Last edited by voitureltd; 12-02-2014 at 06:52 PM..
Old 12-02-2014, 06:40 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Large Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by nkowi View Post
Drag, versus trailer queens, I think.
phew - good thing we've got Ronknees here who's wellllllll experienced in ^such^ drag queens

| '07 S6 | '98 M3 vert | '01 M5 | '96 993 C2 cab | '05 S600 Sport - biturbo V12@Just Not Right 495rwhp / 612rwtq |
| '58 TR3A | '01 S8 | '95 S6 6gang | '88 M5 | '87 190E 2.3-16 |

Last edited by krasuskyp; 12-02-2014 at 06:50 AM..
Old 12-02-2014, 06:40 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)
Registered turbo addict

Garage
Nobody passes me!
I had a guy in a GTR attempt to pass me in my 89 930 beast on my way to Road America this summer on highway J. I put the hammer down and watched how small he became in my rear-view mirror. He found me at the track and said "what the hell is in that thing?" I replied "A Porsche motor".........
Old 12-02-2014, 07:44 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)
Brando

Garage
SNL "What's Up With That?" Mike Tyson - YouTube
This is response to the topic of this thread.

Last edited by quattrorunner; 12-02-2014 at 08:03 AM..
Old 12-02-2014, 07:55 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by krasuskyp View Post
phew - good thing we've got Ronknees here who's wellllllll experienced in ^such^ drag queens
Here's Paul last weekend - more than ready for a girl's night out!

Old 12-02-2014, 08:35 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)
Chain fence eating turbo

Quote:
Nobody passes me!

I had a guy in a GTR attempt to pass me in my 89 930 beast on my way to Road America this summer on highway J. I put the hammer down and watched how small he became in my rear-view mirror. He found me at the track and said "what the hell is in that thing?" I replied "A Porsche motor".........
Those GTR's are no joke. There's one at 2600hp right now. That's almost double our representative, Bello.

Last edited by Tippy; 12-02-2014 at 11:45 AM..
Old 12-02-2014, 10:07 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)
Make America Great Again!

I had a modded GTR with sponsor stickers all over his car, plus racing number, chase me down on the highway. Gave me a thumbs up and was on his way, in and out of heavy traffic, hammer down.
Menmojo, that's how you do it....I wish I had a turbo, but my wife said no. I'm a gutless pussy.
Old 12-02-2014, 10:50 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Menmojo View Post
Nobody passes me!
Really???

Guarantee you he was playing with you, or drinking coffee, dont' get your hopes so high... GTRs are bad machines...

Recognizing, though, that "there is no substitute" obviously!
Old 12-02-2014, 11:00 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)
Registered turbo addict

Garage
Quote:
Really???

Guarantee you he was playing with you, or drinking coffee, dont' get your hopes so high... GTRs are bad machines...

Recognizing, though, that "there is no substitute" obviously!
I doubt he was playing.....he flat out lost to my 930. It has 733RWHP on the Dyno.
Bottom line.....I smoked him. If he's here listening I'll do it again........

Old 12-02-2014, 11:44 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #20 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: