Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
From AC condenser to oil cooler, question...

Gents,

I am preparing for a future project, better oil cooling on my 930. I would really like to retain the factory look. Therefore I am considering removing the front AC condenser. I am actually considering removing the entire AC setup, but someone put a lot of money into it. On top of the front and rear condensers the car has a huge under-belly condenser. So I am guessing this should suffice in the cooler danish climate?

My question is then: can I simply remove the front condenser and just hook the lines together?

This way I can put an oil cooler horizontally in place of the condenser. The oil cooler would utilize the OEM condenser fan. Our friend JBL930 did this on his awesome 930TT.

Preliminary measurements indicate that I can actually fit my setrab 172 cooler. My plan is to seal it up real good agains the chassis, and it will sit protected by the factory condenser shielding.

I would probably also integrate some under-side ducting to enable whatever airflow under car to help suck air through the cooler.

Thoughts?

www.stauningwhisky.dk
Old 12-07-2014, 10:46 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Garage
Bump, is this that dumb an idea?
www.stauningwhisky.dk
Old 12-08-2014, 04:39 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
Banned

Jesper, no doubt you would have plenty of a/c condenser space since you have the underbelly unit, but even if you decided at a later date that you needed more, you could add a fender condenser (you probably won't need it, given you're not going to see 95+ degree driving conditions).

As far as your oil cooler idea, I'm sure it would do some good the way you are talking about mounting it, obviously not nearly as much as it would if it was directly in the airstream, but probably good enough for your purposes. It certainly wouldn't hurt to try.

JBL is the guy that passed away suddenly a couple of years ago, correct? I remember that he was relatively young, too.
Old 12-08-2014, 05:04 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

I think it's a good idea. The oil cooler will be in a more protected place in the front of the trunk where the factory front AC condensor was. The factory front AC condensor fan is pathetic though and hardly moves any air so maybe you can put a faster spinning motor in it or something.
The big underbelly AC condensors are the best there is while the car is moving and it and the rear condensor would probably be good enough.
Old 12-08-2014, 05:12 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Garage
Thanks guys, when time comes I will pursue this route and report back.

Yes, JBL930 was a super cool contributor to this forum. Unfortunately he died suddenly a couple of years ago. Sad story...

There was a nice feature in the 911&Porsche World about his TT930 not too long before his passing.
www.stauningwhisky.dk
Old 12-08-2014, 05:56 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
Large Member

Garage
Echo both of ^fudgenutz'ez^ thoughts... really great idea. Not for hardcore oil cooling, but will be good for your purposes.

Having mine dangling in ze breeze out front there is somewhat spooky - I try not to think about it 8-).

Pics along yer way, butofcourse. When's the car and you return to der Homeland? For good or you return to CA again? Or?

| '07 S6 | '98 M3 vert | '01 M5 | '96 993 C2 cab | '05 S600 Sport - biturbo V12@Just Not Right 495rwhp / 612rwtq |
| '58 TR3A | '01 S8 | '95 S6 6gang | '88 M5 | '87 190E 2.3-16 |
Old 12-08-2014, 06:11 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Garage
Paul, for now, it is for good. However, you never know.

Flying out dec 22nd. Back into the fire.

The goods will prob arrive sometimes early to mid February. However, there will not be much time left for the cars, if any.

I have the cooler out front under the RUF bumper on the Carrera 3.0. It is way more cooling than that car needs. And no doubt the best for performance.

Considering that my 930 already has a Carrera cooler with fan, I hope the setrab addition even in sub optimal positioning will suffice.
www.stauningwhisky.dk
Old 12-08-2014, 07:11 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)
Uncertifiable!!!

Garage
Jasper, my solution.
Evolution of a Carrera RST
Posts #98 and #107.
Cheers,
Johan
Old 12-09-2014, 06:02 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Garage
Thanks Uwon, I remember your car.

Your cooling solution is awesome, but for me probably too much $$$

Btw, I was out trail-riding with a canadian fellow all day today on our ATVs. Awesome!

www.stauningwhisky.dk
Old 12-09-2014, 07:42 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: