Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Broken torsion bar question

Is there a way to determine if you have a broken rear torsion bar without removing them. I can't seem to get my driver side rear camber to get to neutral. At the most positive point on the eccentric it is still negative. I have been advised that I may have a broken torsion bar.

Old 12-08-2014, 06:51 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Garage
What are the measurements from the floor through the middle of the wheel to the fender lip on each side? A broken TB will drop the ride height on that side.
Old 12-08-2014, 07:07 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
non-whiner

Jack up the rear, remove the wheel, unbolt the bottom shock mount. Lift up on the hub. If you can move it, you have a broken TB.

I read your earlier thread. Doesn't sound broken to me.
Old 12-08-2014, 07:14 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

If you have a broken TB you would NOT have to ask that question... it'd be so obvious... and u probably would not drive the car like that.

You might need to redial your TBs to get to the desire height/alignment...
Old 12-09-2014, 05:53 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Garage
When it went it was very very low and with the only spring being from the tires. Bounce the rear bumper with your knee and see if the problem side moves.

Could be the bar is on its way? My car settled slightly to the left and rode strangely for a few days before the left rear tb let go.
Old 12-09-2014, 06:16 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Could be the bar is on its way? My car settled slightly to the left and rode strangely for a few days before the left rear tb let go.
that is what happened to my 911. ironically I was at a DE event. I was really struggling with the car's handling. at one point I noticed the left side was sitting slightly lower, but on uneven ground so did not take serious. just thought the alignment was messed up.

on the way back to the hotel from dinner, it broke. big BANG and the rear dropped and tire was rubbing. no mistaking what happened.

first person on the scene was my instructor. when I told him what happened his jaw dropped and eyes got wide. just thinking about what could have happened if it broke on the track.

when I replaced them, could see the Tbar had first cracked before totally breaking. no rust on it at all.

if you think there is something wrong, dont ignore it.
86 944 turbo my new DE/track car.
78 930 clone project car.
Old 12-09-2014, 06:38 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Great responses. Thanks. I am pretty sure I don't have a broken TB, but it sounds as though I need to redial the driver side. The ride height on the drivers side was low but was able to adjust it so it's even on both sides, but there is no height adjustment left. Still the camber on the drivers side is too negative so will find out how to index the TB.
Old 12-09-2014, 07:51 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)
non-whiner

Do you have turbo (widebody) suspension with dual rear wheel bearings on each side or narrow body with one large bearing. I think you need a thorough inspection or your rear end (oops, kind of an autoproctology exam!).
Old 12-10-2014, 04:39 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Put a magnetic angle finder (digital ones are best) on the top edge of the spring plates and make sure they are at the same angle while they are disconnected from the trailing arms and the rear sway bar drop links are also disconnected from them.
Reindex the spring plate splines until they are the same if they are not.

To change them just a little try going 4 splines in one direction on one end and 3 splines in the other direction on the other end... or something like that. It's been a while since I did it and it takes some hit and miss experimentation.

Old 12-10-2014, 07:03 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: