Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
I've gone native

Sounds like a bad Cdi box. I'd first replace the fuel pump relays then the Cdi box and coil with a good permatune unit if you still have an issue. I had this exact thing on my slant one day in July in 90 degree heat on the LIE.
Usually, in these old cars you'll end up replacing fuel pumps,relays, cdi and coil b4 you're done.
Been there done that...

Old 12-26-2014, 12:29 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #21 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by DSPTurtle View Post
The CDI box is mounted in the engine compartment on the drivers side. Silver/Grey in color with ribbing. It has a large connector on the bottom of it. The CDI box (Capacitive Discharge Ignition) is the piece that sends the high voltage to the distributor for firing your spark plugs. You can check if it is working by pulling a plug and holding it near metal in the engine compartment and look for a spark. They go bad all the time. Luckily we have a place in South Florida that can rebuild them. Sometimes it is as simple as a melted ground wire inside that you can resolder if you are comfortable doing that. Usually just take it off and mail it to them. But... check the other stuff first!!!
Thanks Turtle,
What is the name and/or contact info for CDI box rebuilder? ?Good reputation? Do they use more modern upgraded components?
Gary
Old 12-27-2014, 05:27 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #22 (permalink)
PorscheMoparLiterbike

Non programmable MSD 6al2 is about $260.....just a lower cost option...lots of threads on this
Old 12-28-2014, 06:17 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #23 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by b5aar View Post
Non programmable MSD 6al2 is about $260.....just a lower cost option...lots of threads on this
Yeah, and if it breaks down somewhere just about every generic auto parts store in the country has one in stock or can get one in a day.
The new digital ones have two small dials for setting the rev limiter instead of the old plug in rpm "pills" and they hook up to their wire harness with a single water sealed plug in the side that makes hooking up another one real quick and easy.
Old 12-28-2014, 07:46 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #24 (permalink)
I've gone native

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chinook View Post
Thanks Turtle,
What is the name and/or contact info for CDI box rebuilder? ?Good reputation? Do they use more modern upgraded components?
Gary
The" ecu doctor". I've heard good and bad. Google him.
Not cheap, permatune also makes a Cdi unit that uses the stock Cdi case with modern electronics inside. Looks 100% stock, works flawlessly, about $500.

Last edited by Tt surgeon; 01-01-2015 at 03:57 PM..
Old 01-01-2015, 12:37 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #25 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: