Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Chain fence eating turbo

Tried to make my car sound like a machine gun under boost.....ACCOMPLISHED

Ugh....

Changed my plugs out and refitted the IC. Took for a drive, tested my antilag I just fixed (switch broke), and then decided to lay into it in 3rd.

Boost came on like normal, then the engine sounded like multiple machine guns going off at once.

WTH! I quickly let off. It then dawned on me that the one thing I forgot to hook up was my wastegate signal hose!

Holy crap!

I've asked before many times what detonation sounds like in an air-cooled motor. Always wondered if it sounded different coming from thin-walled cylinders vs coolant jackets. I no longer need to ask. I know now.

Wowzer!

She seems to run fine, cruised her back home and hooked up the line.

I looked at my tuning software and thought, "maybe I should have turned on the overboost protection?!?!"

Lesson learned.......

Hopefully nothing long term like a broken ring (or two) or beat up rod bearings. We will see.

Old 12-21-2014, 06:44 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Garage
Yikes!!!

Best of luck.

I found that my manual boost controller was not locked down as I keep it after it got returned from the shop....however, it still only charges to 0.8 I guess the shop did not bother to hook it up again. I will have to investigate. Don't want any ripple fire.
www.stauningwhisky.dk
Old 12-22-2014, 05:38 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
Chain fence eating turbo

Yeah, crappy feeling for sure. I wished I had my gauges recording max boost. Curious what it hit.
Old 12-22-2014, 06:04 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Garage
If you want to hear the sound of a machine gun, do like me and buy one.
Old 12-22-2014, 08:00 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Dam it's hard not to be worried in the back of your head about that. I say take for some more nice drives if you are liking the way the engine is performing then don't worry about it enjoy the car. JMHO
Old 12-22-2014, 08:09 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
Chain fence eating turbo

Quote:
If you want to hear the sound of a machine gun, do like me and buy one.
That's great advise.
Old 12-22-2014, 08:12 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Chain fence eating turbo

Quote:
Dam it's hard not to be worried in the back of your head about that. I say take for some more nice drives if you are liking the way the engine is performing then don't worry about it enjoy the car. JMHO
Oh, yeah, not losing sleep over it.

I've grenaded 4 engines before from detonation and it really takes a lot before they go boom! This was for a split second and the 911 engine is tough as can be IMO.

Old 12-22-2014, 08:14 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: