Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Caliper Question

Easy one for the purists on here (I hope!)...
In 1985, were the calipers painted or were they bare metal? I want to restore the brakes to original but not sure if I should paint or just glass bead.
Thanks in advance!!!

Engine Rebuild & Restorations
Old 12-29-2014, 04:35 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

My '87 calipers are not painted, it seems like they're anodized in a dull satin. The black finish is much tougher than paint and brake fluid or solvent doesn't touch it.
Some people take them apart and have them powder coated.
Old 12-29-2014, 06:10 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Garage
I sand blasted mine and they looked great but brake dust would have clung to them like..............

I painted them with silver caliper paint, didn't change the look too much and they still look the better for it.
Old 12-29-2014, 07:05 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
gearhead

Ask Eric Shea at PMB in UT. He's got a set right now he is restoring. He can do them right if you aren't going to do them yourself.
Old 12-29-2014, 08:12 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
aka 'vageen'

Garage
1986 calipers were black with white Porsche script.
Yoosta have: 90 C4 Targa, 87 944, 73 911 ChumpCar endurance racer - featured in May-June & July-Aug 2016 Classic Porsche
Old 12-29-2014, 10:40 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

I am quite confident from 1979 on all 930 calipers looked like this from the factory:
Old 12-30-2014, 03:24 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

That's exactly what I am starting with Slow...
Definitely not painted letters. They are bare/sanded for the bright finish. The question is what is the correct coating for them. I have seen people do them in the gloss black caliper paint and I do not think it looks right. If they were magnesium it would be easy to bead blast and use Easy Off to darken them. But there is definitely some coating on them. The question is what and what finish. Flat, matte, semi-gloss, etc...
Engine Rebuild & Restorations
Old 12-30-2014, 06:59 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSPTurtle View Post
That's exactly what I am starting with Slow...
Definitely not painted letters. They are bare/sanded for the bright finish. The question is what is the correct coating for them. I have seen people do them in the gloss black caliper paint and I do not think it looks right. If they were magnesium it would be easy to bead blast and use Easy Off to darken them. But there is definitely some coating on them. The question is what and what finish. Flat, matte, semi-gloss, etc...
DSP.. correct the letters are bare sanded.

The calipers are aluminum and as JFairman said, they are anodized.

You can bead blast them and decide which way you want to go.. of course many people just paint them as its simpler than powder coating or anodizing.
Believe it or not they will hold up quite well if bead blasted and painted w/a two stage paint that requires catalyst etc..

Good luck!

RGruppe #180
So many cars.. so little time!!
Old 12-30-2014, 07:23 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: