Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
Complete 930 turbo motor value

I have a 1987 3.3 930 motor with a bunch of upgrades and approx 350 to 400 hp. It's got about 5000 kms on it. Runs great, doesn't smoke or leak oil. I'm wondering what a fair asking price would be for it. Im thinking about selling it to buy a NA motor hopefully something around 300 hp or more if possible. Does it sound realistic that I'd be able to sell the turbo motor to finance a strong NA motor?

Thanks!

Old 01-04-2015, 03:48 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Garage
If it still in a car running, leave it there.

A running engine is worth a hell of a lot more than an engine on a pallet.
Old 01-04-2015, 03:55 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

documentation

You should post what was done to the engine, who did the work, reason for rebuild ect. May give a better idea of what the market value is! Phlip
87 930 GHL/Rarlyl8/Garretson/GT3582R/1 Bar/Wevo shift, mounts/Meth inj/LM-2/Custom Fuchs/Carrera intake manifold/Xtreme Carrera heads P&P/3.4/DR 993SS cams/ Mahl/Pauter/JE/Niresist/ARP/twin COP/8.25:1/KEP stage 2/twin tials/close 2,3,4th. MS3Pro Evo 500+ HP, BTSOMP Dyno
Old 01-04-2015, 04:09 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Garage
I wouldn't pull the motor out of the car until after a potential buyer could have a ride in the car.

It's a 1987 3.3, 930/68 *68KO1057* has 964 cams, 8.5-1 CR, twin plug set up. TEC1 EMS. All race ware fasteners. Polished case webs, 3 angle valve job, k27 turbo, intake polished. Monster spearco intercooler. B&B headers & triflow muffler.

This is all I know about the motor. I love the motor but for the street I'd prefer something with more low end torque. This thing is a beast in the top end but I'm afraid I can't really enjoy that top end too much on the street. My previous car was NA 300 Rwhp and 2200 lbs, I miss the feel of it.

Last edited by puddy; 01-04-2015 at 05:42 PM..
Old 01-04-2015, 05:37 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
Crotchety Old Bastard

Garage
Well if they can ask $18K for a seized up 930/68 hulk of scrap metal over in the classifieds yours should be worth $100K.
Kidding aside, I'd be afraid to venture what values are now with turbo stuff getting so goofy. Previous to this I would put a fresh running modified engine at $15K-$20K. Nomatter what you should definitely be able to build or buy a strong N/A engine from the proceeds of your turbo engine.
Old 01-04-2015, 07:41 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Garage
Why not just change to SC cams and more modern ballbearing turbo? Some claim to have full boost by 3,000rpm.

Rahl
Old 01-04-2015, 08:14 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 356911930 View Post
Why not just change to SC cams and more modern ballbearing turbo? Some claim to have full boost by 3,000rpm.

Rahl
Ok very interesting, I'll do some searching on the SC cams. Do you know if most newer turbos bolt onto where my K27 is without mods?
Old 01-05-2015, 03:11 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RarlyL8 View Post
Well if they can ask $18K for a seized up 930/68 hulk of scrap metal over in the classifieds yours should be worth $100K.
Kidding aside, I'd be afraid to venture what values are now with turbo stuff getting so goofy. Previous to this I would put a fresh running modified engine at $15K-$20K. Nomatter what you should definitely be able to build or buy a strong N/A engine from the proceeds of your turbo engine.
i saw that one too. blew me away what some people think something is worth just because it hsa"porsche" on it
08 VOLVO V70 190K:: [__] RUNNING: [__] NOT RUNNING:
90 B2200[__] RUNNING:[] NOT RUNNING:__2000 MER E320 WAGON [] WRECKED:[]RUNNING:
Old 01-05-2015, 03:23 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)
Crotchety Old Bastard

Garage
My assumption was that you like the sound of the big N/A engines. If keeping your turbo engine is an option I would definitely do that. There are many ways to lower boost threshold; under 3000RPM is easy, our 400hp builds are at 1.0bar@2800rpm. If the car is overpowered put on a small turbo for 350hp and spool even quicker. The sound however as you know is completely different. Personally I like the high strung N/A sound but hate the lag. They have no power down low either 'till they come on cam.
Old 01-05-2015, 03:51 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by RarlyL8 View Post
My assumption was that you like the sound of the big N/A engines. If keeping your turbo engine is an option I would definitely do that. There are many ways to lower boost threshold; under 3000RPM is easy, our 400hp builds are at 1.0bar@2800rpm. If the car is overpowered put on a small turbo for 350hp and spool even quicker. The sound however as you know is completely different. Personally I like the high strung N/A sound but hate the lag. They have no power down low either 'till they come on cam.
I absolutely love the sound of an NA 911 motor but also enjoy the sound of my Turbo, it sounds great just idling around until the boost hits then its just a loud HISSSS!! I am somewhat torn though. I'd love to keep the turbo and make it quicker but my 915 tranny is probably not going to last forever as is. I figured with a milder NA motor i'd be fine with my 915 and have a car that more fun at stop lights etc. My first gear is pretty useless with the turbo, as soon as boost hits the tires light up and I have to shift to 2nd.

However I do plan to attend some track events with the UCPCA this summer at Mosport, so perhaps I should just keep it as is thru the summer and see how I feel after some fast lapping.
Old 01-05-2015, 04:24 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Garage
I'm somewhat unique to this group as I love turbochargers but own old longhoods. Checking out your garage it strikes me why you would want an N.A. motor. I think nothing less than a healthy 3.6L belongs in the engine bay. Not knowing what you paid for the car it is impossible to advise if you will take a loss selling the motor - but you could consider a swap.
Are you going to tone down the very obvious racer appearance also?
Old 01-05-2015, 05:40 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)
gearhead

An '89 engine and g50/50 sold last month for $20k. Well at least that was the ask. Engine was stock.
I suspect you can get $12-15k for yours.
I agree with the recam and smaller turbo advice.
Old 01-05-2015, 06:01 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Install SC cams or you could advance the timing of your 964 cams from 1.26mm to around 1.35mm to lower their power band a little.
Sell the slow spooling journal bearing K27.. compared to modern Garret ball bearing turbo performance it's obsolete.
Install a Turbos Direct ball bearing Garret GSX 61 with their billet compressor wheel. The ball bearing Garret GT35R is very good too.
Old 01-05-2015, 07:02 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by copbait73 View Post
I'm somewhat unique to this group as I love turbochargers but own old longhoods. Checking out your garage it strikes me why you would want an N.A. motor. I think nothing less than a healthy 3.6L belongs in the engine bay. Not knowing what you paid for the car it is impossible to advise if you will take a loss selling the motor - but you could consider a swap.
Are you going to tone down the very obvious racer appearance also?
Hi Copbait73, I was never looking for a turbo car. I've wanted a longhood hotrod since the Porsche bug bite me, but then I came across the car I bought. It had many of the things I would have done to the car anyways and at the very fair price I paid, I wasn't going to pass it up. I'm really glad I did since nothing comparable has come on the market in my area since. I really enjoy the turbo but I can tell I'll be putting alot of street miles on the car and think the Turbo would be much more enjoyable at the track due to the top end performance. So I thought a strong NA motor might be better for me. Ideally i'd one day have a 73 or 74/75 RSR replica and ditch the 965 look. Although the 965 is really growing on me its not really where my heart is. I have stripped all the decals off the car and it already looks alot better.

JFairman, is Turbodirect the best place to buy a new turbo? I'm really new to this Porsche car game and have a lot to learn. I'm very capable of doing my own work I just don't always know where to start I guess I'll have to do alot of searching these forums. I'm kinda lost in that I can't just order a factory service manual for the car or motor I have and start learning how it all works. Theres so much aftermarket & non stock stuff on my car! Oh well i'll figure it all out eventually.

Are there any other great resources besides Pelican Parts for tuning / tweaking these 3.3 motors?

Thanks!

Chris.
Old 01-05-2015, 11:23 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

I think they are the best place to buy a Garret turbo and they ship really fast.
They supply them to other places that sell Garret turbo's.
Here's their website and you can call Mike and talk about whats good for your car.
TurbosDirect.Com Web Site - Home

Mike Merrell
Turbos Direct
Sales & Shop Manager
623 376 2562

One of the other guys there has owned a number of 930's so they know the car.
I don't know where else you can buy Garret turbo's with trick high flowing billet compressor wheels.
I have their ball bearing GSX 61 with billet compressor wheel on my car and I love it.
It's built from a ball bearing Garret TO4Z.
Hope this helps.

Old 01-05-2015, 03:31 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)
Bad LT

I need a quiet moment.

Quote:
Old 01-05-2015, 03:51 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)
Chain fence eating turbo

Put a Holset HY35 on the 930 and I guarantee you'll have boost tied to the gas pedal and capability of 450hp.
Old 01-05-2015, 05:51 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)

Garage
As much as we all love boost, more turbocharging does not replace the experience of an N.A. Porsche motor.
This said, the word is Porsche is moving toward 100% turbo on their production models.
Old 01-05-2015, 06:52 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)
Brando

Garage
I really think you should decide what you want. The 915 is a great help for the 3ldz turbo. And it's pretty amazing ratios for the k27 Id bet. But the power level is strictly limited.
I love boost. And I know it.
Nothing replaces the push in the back that boost provides. That being said. Your in a bit of a spot. That 915........
I broke two. Right now I'm swapping to a very nice 930 gearbox. It's unmodified. It will undergo some upgrades in time but for now it's stock but freshly rebuilt. And my boost is Rising. If you keep the turbo, consider Building it with sc grind cams modern quick spoil turbo. But also think real hard about getting a 930 or g50 to allow you to sleep well during your turbo dreams. The 915 was a nightmare for me Everytime I thought about that second gear and the strain it was under.
But the 915 is pretty great for a lighter power car. 3.2ss or 3.2 carrera. Maybe a hot 3.0 with itb would be cool. Look cool too. The 915 can handle that. Good luck with your project. We'll be able watching closely.
May the force be with you.

Last edited by quattrorunner; 01-05-2015 at 09:12 PM..
Old 01-05-2015, 09:09 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by quattrorunner View Post
Nothing replaces the push in the back that boost provides.
Must resist the urge to twist your words, bud!

Old 01-05-2015, 09:21 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #20 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: