Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > 1- Porsche Technical Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Just read through from page 1. This is a great story! Going to follow this all the way till you finish it. I can imagine how thrilling it must have been the first time you laid eyes on it. We vacation at Kure Beach every summer & I would love to see your project in person next summer if you live anywhere near I-40.
Old 12-28-2017, 03:31 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #181 (permalink)

Garage
The two coats of paint seemed a bit rough to the touch, so I scuffed both housings down with scotchbright and layered on a heavy top coat. Hard to paint outside at 32 deg, but I only left them outside long enough to spray, then quickly brought inside to dry on the kitchen table. Wife just got out of the shower and asked if I was painting my nails?!!!! Not my nails.😀

Last edited by reclino; 12-30-2017 at 05:44 AM..
Old 12-30-2017, 05:41 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #182 (permalink)

Garage
Mechanical progress on the 930 has seemingly slowed as of late. Work, life and side projects all seem to demand time. One exciting side project has been working on the rebuild of my wastegate. This project is covered in detail in it's own thread.
930 wastegate rebuild +NLA parts
So I have gone from a used crusty part to a new lease on life with the reproduction of 3 different 930 parts.

Porsche didn't make the parts available, this however gave me a great opportunity! I am now the only guy in the world with these 3 930 wastegate parts for sale.
Valve guide
Intermediate gasket
Spring Shims

David
#930MOAB
Performance EngiNERDing
Engineer.white@gmail.com

Last edited by reclino; 01-24-2018 at 01:50 PM..
Old 01-24-2018, 01:33 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #183 (permalink)

Garage
My son Morgan has gotten AutoCAD Inventor through his school and has gotten pretty good at using it. I suggested if he were to model up a part I had in mind for the Porsche I would get it 3D printed.

I set him down with the MOMO steering wheel hub and spacer I had assembled. I really didn't like the look of the different pieces screwed together. I suggested he measure the hub and spacer. Then design a cover to slip over them. This will make it look like an old school solid adapter.

I went and picked up the prototype today!

It fits the assembled hub and spacer perfectly!

We left it a bit long at the bottom, we will trim this to be a close fit to the clamshell housing in the car, the Momo hub leaves a pretty ugly gap here.

The part was printed at high speed with PLA resin, I will let Morgan sand it down, measure and trim it to fit the car and paint it with wrinkle black paint. Then we will print a final version with ABS plastic!

Old 02-08-2018, 01:22 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #184 (permalink)

Sweet. I bought a 3D printer over xmas and have been having a lot of fun making fascia for displays, brackets and gears for some Alexa-controlled blinds I'm building, and looking at playing with some lost wax type casting using PLA and baking it out. They are lots of fun and not just a toy anymore. I'm learning a lot about mechanical design. I'm sure some 3D printed parts will end up in the 930 soon, like a printed radio delete plate with some built in controls for Bluetooth amp and AFR display.
Old 02-08-2018, 03:47 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #186 (permalink)

Maybe he can make a cover for the passenger fan.

78 911sc Targa
70 911T
Old 02-08-2018, 04:10 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #187 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: