Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Technical BBS > 1- Porsche Technical Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
I used the dishwasher on Sanitary cycle and put in about 1/3 cup of half TSP TSP PF
Old 10-02-2015, 02:23 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #81 (permalink)

Garage
Now that the parts are completely oil and grease free I plan to bead blast, apply PreKote, and paint with 2 part epoxy primer.
Old 10-02-2015, 02:25 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #82 (permalink)

Garage
Blast and paint

I spent about 2 hrs bead blasting the fan. I kept the pressure below 40 psi except for the deeply pitted areas. On these parts I turned it up to 50 psi. Picture was taken half way done.
Old 10-10-2015, 05:57 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #83 (permalink)

Garage
Paint

Don't bust on the color. Price was right and I plan on top coating with silver 2 part poly. Paint is 2 part epoxy, high solids. Tough as nails. I scrubbed the part after blasting with the PreKote. It is about the only safe way to prep magnesium. All other magnesium prep is super hazardous.

Old 10-10-2015, 06:08 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #84 (permalink)

Garage
Stomski racing exhaust stud drill out kit SR065

I finally broke down and ordered the drill out kit. I have quite a few broken exhaust studs and while the tool is expensive if I am careful it should prevent damage to the cylinder heads. I shot a time lapse video last night of the drill out process.
https://youtu.be/vMnFlCmDM_A
Old 01-01-2016, 11:24 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #85 (permalink)

Garage
Excellent thread keep it up! I subscribed to your YouTube. It is so much fun driving the car but working on the car is half the fun!!
Old 01-01-2016, 06:00 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #86 (permalink)

Now Available for Ordering:   101 Projects For Your BMW 3 Series 1982-2000  [more info]

Garage
Slow progress as life and work still have to happen. I did manage to get out all the stuck and broken exhaust studs with the excellent Stomski Racing Exhaust Stud Repair Kit SR065. I purchased 14 ARP stainless exhaust studs to replace them all.

I made a time lapse video of drilling out one of the studs with the kit. It shows that with time and a little care anyone can repair a broken exhaust stud on a 911 engine.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vMnFlCmDM_A

As I don't have any further need for the tool it is now for sale here on Pelican. I paid $308 shipped for the tool from Stomski, I used my own drill bits and lots of lube to keep the tool in pristine shape. I am asking $270 for the tool, funds from its sale are going straight towards the next item on the punch list. Maybe someone following this thread has a broken stud they need to drill out.

Stomski exhaust stud drill out kit

Last edited by reclino; 01-23-2016 at 08:21 AM..
Old 01-23-2016, 07:21 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #87 (permalink)

Garage
Now that the exhaust studs are fixed I rolled the engine stand over and stripped off the fuel injection, intake manifold and air shroud. Now to plug up all the open ports on top and wash this dirty pig off. I plan on setting up a sink of sorts under the engine stand and rinsing the engine off with parts washer solvent.

Of course I got side tracked and found some parts I could clean, bead blast, and repaint. The throttle bell crank bracket on top of the engine looked really sad.

After taking the bell crank apart and cleaning it I discovered that the spot weld was cracked.... No problem says I. Out comes the MIG welder.

Three little spot welds ground flat in between each and its as good as new.

Now the paint.

I got a little carried away on the little springs, but the best price on them I could find was $14.00 each. Yikes.

Last edited by reclino; 01-23-2016 at 08:20 AM..
Old 01-23-2016, 07:47 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #88 (permalink)

Garage
I forgot to post this before but I got the turbo back from rebuild a few months ago. I used Turbo Exchange Inc in Charlotte NC.

Old 01-23-2016, 08:08 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #89 (permalink)

Garage
So as I was stripping the top of the engine down to clean things up the distributor had to come out. I set the engine to top dead center and then carefully pulled the distributor out. The elements were not kind to this part during its unfortunate period of outdoor storage.

Mechanical advance mechanism was stuck, and the vacuum/boost retard "box" was rusted out. I was able to free up the mechanical advance, and have a new replacement vacuum/boost retard can on the way from a fellow pelican member.
Old 01-23-2016, 08:30 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #90 (permalink)
3 restos WIP = psycho

Send it to Ed Fall here:

Vintage Werks Homepage

Not expensive and it comes back NOS perfect.

- 1965 911
- 1969 911S
- 1980 911SC Targa
- 1979 930
Old 01-23-2016, 08:44 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #91 (permalink)

Garage
Distributor rebuild

I got the distributor apart, cleaned up the mechanical advance, bead blasted the housing, Replaced the VR impulse coil with new. Sourced a new vacuum retard can. Now just need to find a the two fiber washers to set the end play and put it all back together.
Old 02-05-2016, 03:42 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #92 (permalink)
3 restos WIP = psycho

Nice. Just make aure run out on the internal cam and play on the bushings is OK. Otherwise you'll be chasing gremlins forever.

- 1965 911
- 1969 911S
- 1980 911SC Targa
- 1979 930
Old 02-05-2016, 05:01 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #93 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by reclino View Post
I got the distributor apart, cleaned up the mechanical advance, bead blasted the housing, Replaced the VR impulse coil with new. Sourced a new vacuum retard can. Now just need to find a the two fiber washers to set the end play and put it all back together.
I used this kit https://www.************.com/p-1196-911-distributor-shim-kit.aspx
Old 02-05-2016, 11:09 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #94 (permalink)

Garage
Replacement VR coil

Old 02-05-2016, 04:44 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #95 (permalink)

Garage
Made a 16mm snap ring

It was a beautiful day so I decided to work on the distributor on the picnic table in the back yard. While removing a snap ring from the magnetic pulse generator it sailed off into the yard, never to be seen again. No part number for it, and didn't see an exact match at McMaster-Carr so I ordered a normal 16mm snap ring and spent about 30 minutes carefully grinding away the parts I didn't need. The ring on the right is what I started with, the left is the result.
Old 02-05-2016, 04:52 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #96 (permalink)

Garage
Ring installed.

Old 02-05-2016, 04:54 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #97 (permalink)

Garage
VR coil installed, sitting next to freshly bead blasted housing. The bearing in the housing are in great shape. Now I need to find the proper fiber thrust washers. May just make some out 1/32 thick Rulon LR from McMaster-Carr. Anyone here have a watetjet machine?
Old 02-05-2016, 05:00 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #98 (permalink)

Garage
Distributor "Green" wire

The green wire from my distributor is brittle, and had already broken through the insulation in several places. I decided to clip the end off and see if I replace just the wire saving the connector. Of course finding a very small shielded green wire is not really that simple. First step cut the wire off, forcing me to search even harder to find a replacement. I cut the connector off on Jan 25th.
Old 02-08-2016, 01:48 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #99 (permalink)

Garage
The green wire.

I have been searching rather hard to find the green wire and it just arrived in the mail today. Its not a perfect match from a visual standpoint, but from a functional standpoint it will probably outlive the car. Its Mil-Spec Teflon insulated silver plated copper conductor wire. Found it on eBay....
Old 02-08-2016, 01:51 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #100 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: