Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Technical BBS > 1- Porsche Technical Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
The green wire from HELL

Ok replacing this wire really took quite a bit of time and effort. There are no new connectors available so I had to reuse the old one. I clipped the old wires flush with the connector on both sides, then carefully clamped it in the drill press vise, and using a center drill I was able to drill out the old shielded wire from the back. The wire is molded into the connector and will not just pull out. I took my time to prep the new wire and test the new crimp tool with the correct factory crimp terminal I sourced from BelMetric.
https://www.belmetric.com/e316-small-female-spade-with-tab-p-5384.html?cPath=19_164_200

The crimp tool I got from Amazon.
IWISS SN-28B DUPONT Terminal Ratchet Crimper 2.54mm 3.96mm (AWG28-18) 0.1-1.0MM˛ - - Amazon.com
It makes the correct factory crimp, as can be seen. I was very pleased with the result.
Old 02-28-2016, 06:04 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #101 (permalink)

Garage
My first attempt to thread the wires into the connector, and provide a strain relief. I clipped it off and tried again as the strain relief was not flexible enough and the wires were getting fatigued from the number of times I had test fit everything.
Old 02-28-2016, 06:10 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #102 (permalink)

Garage
Connectors on and crimped. Ready for assembly.
Old 02-28-2016, 06:14 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #103 (permalink)

Garage
So now the new wire is together, I still need to get it into the wire harness. I just soldered the new wire to the old and pulled the old wire out. This was harder than I thought because the old wire was glued into the harness.

Old 02-28-2016, 06:21 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #104 (permalink)

Garage
Success. One more little task checked off the list.
Old 02-28-2016, 06:22 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #105 (permalink)

I have little knowledge of wiring and wiring repairs so that looks like it sucked!!

But ggeat job on all the progress I'll be keeping an eye on this thread!
Old 02-28-2016, 07:04 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #106 (permalink)

Garage
I used 7 pictures to detail the repair of the green wire. I probably should come up with a formula to determine the correct number of pictures compared to the level of pain and suffering each of these tasks takes. This task deserved each of those pictures.
Old 02-28-2016, 09:54 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #107 (permalink)

Garage
Finally put the distributor back together. Advance mechanism now works smoothly.
Old 03-01-2016, 05:38 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #108 (permalink)

Garage
Variable reluctor went in next. I had to spend a bit of time making sure everything was centered properly before snubbing the three screws down.

Old 03-01-2016, 05:41 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #109 (permalink)

Garage
Got the clips on next, new felt plug for the advance, new vacuum can, new cap and rotor.

Old 03-01-2016, 05:44 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #110 (permalink)

Garage
I have continued to work on ignition stuff. Installed 6 new NGK BP8ES plugs. The Bosch W3BPO were pretty fouled out. Since I had been looking for test items to clean in the ultrasonic bath I rigged it up to clean plugs.
Before picture
Old 04-01-2016, 04:00 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #111 (permalink)

Garage
After picture
I will be using these plugs again.
Anyone want to send in some low mile dirty plugs for cleaning?
I could do them for $4.00 each.
Old 04-01-2016, 04:05 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #112 (permalink)

Now Available for Ordering:   101 Projects For Your BMW 3 Series 1982-2000  [more info]

Garage
Ok, the fuel tank in my 1986 930 was replaced with a new Porsche tank the year prior to the previous owner parking the car for 9 years. Draining the gas and looking in the fuel level sender port showed significant sludge and rust buildup.

So it looks like the inside of the tank is covered in a nice thick brown velvet.......
I read through many Pelican horror stories of cutting tanks in half and sand blasting. I decided that I would first try to clean the tank with no cutting. I pulled the tank back in April, and have slowly been building a device to clean it.
Old 10-12-2016, 08:12 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #113 (permalink)

Garage
I spent many days pondering the problem. If the tank were small I could just fill it with cleaner, shake it around some, wash, rinse, repeat until clean. Of course it's a 20 gal tank, I am not the Hulk, can't just shake this tank. So I figured I could build a rotisserie for the tank, get a little electric motor to turn it and slosh the cleaner around until it's all clean.
Step one, build box around the tank.
I purchased one 4*8 sheet of Advantech 3/4" subfloor.

Old 10-12-2016, 08:24 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #114 (permalink)

Garage
Now tank is in box, put box on "stick" and spin, totally easy so far. My son Morgan greatly enjoyed helping with this build.
Old 10-12-2016, 08:28 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #115 (permalink)

Garage
Now I just had to come up with a drive system that could turn the tank for a week or so...... Hmm, more thought required. Then summer happened. Still more thinking. Thought of strapping box to friends tractor tire. Thought better of it later.
Old 10-12-2016, 08:31 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #116 (permalink)

Garage
Found an electric motor a friend would let me borrow. It has a 20 rpm output, but I figure d even slower would be better. Decided to make a flat belt drive system. 7" pulley on tank, 3" pulley on motor output. I don't have a lathe, I do have a hyd press and a drill press.
So Morgan and I cut out a bunch of disks.

A little bit of glue and 20 tons of pressure, produced a very rough cylinder. Drill press can act like a lathe if you work on it a bit.
Old 10-12-2016, 08:41 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #117 (permalink)

Garage

Sourced some very sketchy bearings from Tractor Supply.....
And the tank actually spins pretty good.
Old 10-12-2016, 08:44 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #118 (permalink)

Garage
Coated the pulley with some polyurethane PL30 black construction adhesive to make it a bit grippy.
Cut a piece of nylon webbing and coated one side with the PL30.
Then sewed myself a flat belt.
The belt seemed to want to slowly walk off the pulley so clamped a skateboard to the frame and it tracks perfect.
Old 10-12-2016, 08:50 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #119 (permalink)

Garage
It lives!

http://youtu.be/PQh04HQr7z8

Last edited by reclino; 03-04-2017 at 07:30 AM..
Old 10-13-2016, 05:07 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #120 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: