Pelican Parts Forums

Pelican Parts Forums (http://forums.pelicanparts.com/)
-   911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum (http://forums.pelicanparts.com/911-930-turbo-super-charging-forum/)
-   -   New Trunk Lid Shocks Failing (http://forums.pelicanparts.com/911-930-turbo-super-charging-forum/852948-new-trunk-lid-shocks-failing.html)

Pharris409 02-22-2015 02:37 PM

New Trunk Lid Shocks Failing

I have new trunk lid shocks on my 930 (singles on both sides) and they still won't hold up the lid:confused: I'd like to stay original but having a broom handle to hold up the trunk isn't ideal either.

What are your thoughts on the Pelican double shock? I guess I'd put these on both sides and have a total of 4? Seems like overkill but what I have now isn't working.

I'm assuming I'm not the only one with this problem. Any advice would be appreciated.

turbo owner 02-22-2015 02:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pharris409 (Post 8499662)
I have new trunk lid shocks on my 930 (singles on both sides) and they still won't hold up the lid:confused: I'd like to stay original but having a broom handle to hold up the trunk isn't ideal either.

What are your thoughts on the Pelican double shock? I guess I'd put these on both sides and have a total of 4? Seems like overkill but what I have now isn't working.

I'm assuming I'm not the only one with this problem. Any advice would be appreciated.

I had to replace mine when I got it, if I remember right deck lids with a tail used a different shock than ones without.

turbo owner 02-22-2015 02:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by turbo owner (Post 8499677)
I had to replace mine when I got it, if I remember right deck lids with a tail used a different shock than ones without.

Guess not, I just looked. I used the weltmeister with no problems.

AskewRSR 02-22-2015 03:26 PM

Look for Mechanical hood shocks There is a guy making them.

JFairman 02-22-2015 07:35 PM

I installed a couple of the extra heavy duty hood struts Pelican sells in 2006 and they still hold the front hood up really well.

Another nice solution made of carbon fiber with a small aluminum rod end is the SEINE SYSTEMS Ultimate Strut.

Seine Systems > Ultimate Strut

Ronnie's.930 02-22-2015 08:08 PM

Pharris, I've got two (one on each side) of the Meyle branded struts on the tail that I ordered from Pelican - no problem from them for the past two years or so. Maybe you got a couple that were lame ducks?

Edit - I have the same ones on the front (hood/frunk/front trunk) and they have been problem free, too.

Noah930 02-22-2015 08:19 PM

Wait. I think some people are talking about the frunk and others about the engine lid.

Hot Euro 02-23-2015 03:44 AM

[QUOTE=Pharris409;8499662]I have new trunk lid shocks on my 930 (singles on both sides) and they still won't hold up the lid:confused: I'd like to stay original but having a broom handle to hold up the trunk isn't ideal either.

When I first purchased my car I installed all new frunk and engine lid struts from a lesser known source. These didn't last long (one actually broke the end off) so I got a set from our host. These are much heavier and have lasted the first year with no problems. One on each side front and a twin pair left rear. You get what you pay for.:)

911nut 02-23-2015 04:07 AM

It would be tough to use any mechanical solution on the engine lid. If you did, someone would have to grab the lid when you pulled the release, unless you have arms like a great ape :) The gas shocks will pop the lid off the latch so you can walk around and lift.
I replaced all my shocks from stuff in Pelicans's stock (I think it was the heavy-duty shock) 6 years ago and they are still working well.

Miguel Antonett 02-23-2015 10:21 AM

They all fail..., it is a matter of time to replace them or the "broom stick" method. If you go double duty it might mis-align the panel. Just change them, piece of cake! BTW, front and rear are different; and the heavy duty ones last a little longer - sometimes...

reachme 02-23-2015 11:35 AM

Mine "failed" last winter during an engine drop and it was low on the list to fix at the time. Then last spring came and they were perfect, worked great all summer. I lift the tail after every ride to cool off the turbo and it stays up until I shut it. Then I store the car all winter anyway.

I just figured the operating temperature favors warmer weather and a new pair probably would not change it that much. Sounds true based on all the other comments I read. Early Cayenne's had a similar issue - maybe designed for milder German winters.

Pharris409 02-24-2015 08:03 PM

Great info, thanks. I just ordered a set of heavy duty rear deck lid shocks from Pelican. Sounds like they should do the trick for a couple years.