Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Custom 930

Garage
Oil smoke when starting air-cooled 911

Hello,

I read the Pelican Technical Article about oil burning on start-up for early air cooled 911s.

Here is the article URL ->
Pelican Technical Article - Porsche 911 (1965-1989) - Rothsport Oil Inlet Check Valve Installation

I have been trying to find the appropriate parts to order for this project but am having little luck. I search for s-hose and don't get the correct results.

Also need the remaining parts (Rothsport oil check valve, 2 washers).

I would like to see a project URL link for this so I can simply order the needed parts for this project based on my car year/model (1986 / 930).

Other than that, please indicate what specific parts I need to purchase.

Thanks.

Old 02-25-2015, 04:41 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Check valve - 1986 Porsche 911 Turbo Coupe - Oil Circulation - Page 9
Welcome to Rothsport Racing - Engine Products

S-Hose and clamps
1986 Porsche 911 Turbo Coupe - Oil Circulation - Page 6

Im curious if anyone else with a 930 is actually running this?
https://medium.com/@crashingdoor
Old 02-25-2015, 05:34 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Dammit 16V, I'm busy typing away and you slip in there before me!

Here's the check valve (my, they're proud of it at $318). Probably go down to your local hardware store and buy a similar plumbing doo-dad for just a tad bit less ).
1987 Porsche 911 Carrera Coupe - Oil Circulation - Page 9

This is the first I've heard of using such a device to "correct" what's a normal condition in all 911's. Not saying it's a bad idea, but I'm not sure I entirely buy the logic (but apparently it works or it wouldn't have a place in the catalog). Valve guides may allow remaining oil in the rocker boxes to drool down into the cylinders over time as well, more or less depending on the condition of the guides. But even if you do stop the reverse flow of oil from the tank, the lines and rockers still have plenty of oil to contribute to smoking one would think.

I may be all oil-wet.....someone will gently nudge me in the right direction if so.
Mark H. 1987 930, GP White, Wevo shifter, Borla exhaust, stock everything else. The result of a massive Pelicanite good will fire recovery effort. Truely an open book, ready for the slippery slopes to modification.
Old 02-25-2015, 05:55 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
3 restos WIP = psycho

Rothsport products are very nice, but there's never a more expensive option.

- 1965 911
- 1969 911S
- 1980 911SC Targa
- 1979 930
Old 02-25-2015, 06:30 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
Forced Induction Junkie

Garage
$318 for a bullet check valve? Proud in deed!
Werk I Zuffenhausen 3.3l/330BHP Engine with Sonderwunsch Cams, FabSpeed Headers, Kokeln IC, Twin Plugged Electromotive Crankfire, Tial Wastegate(0.8 Bar), K27 Hybrid Turbo, Ruf Twin-tip Muffler, Fikse FM-5's 8&10x17, 8:41 R&P
Old 02-25-2015, 06:40 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

That valve seems like a really nice gadget and looks well made from the picture. Too bad it's so expensive.
You can always think of this situation as top cylinder lubricant for cold starts when the motor hasn't been run in a few days or longer.
Thats probably a good thing right? . . . but if you have a garage, especially one thats part of your house I can see how these oil smoke clouds would be really unpleasant.
Old 02-25-2015, 06:47 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Custom 930

Garage
Thanks all for your replies.

Expensive yes, but what is not expensive for these cars?
If this fix stops the plume of smoke and the smell of it on start-up then it's worth the expense.
Old 02-26-2015, 06:50 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordie View Post
Thanks all for your replies.

Expensive yes, but what is not expensive for these cars?
If this fix stops the plume of smoke and the smell of it on start-up then it's worth the expense.
I disagree about how expensive our cars are... but if you buy that type of stuff, they become expensive.

If you have a "plume of smoke" upon start up you have other issues...

I love the smell of my garage - and really the house - after coming back from a hard drive on the 930... M2c - Sorry!
Old 02-26-2015, 07:13 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Yeah, the Porsche world is the only place where I have found that smoke on startup as 'normal'. There was a long winded/good thread on why the 911 engine is prone to this.

Personally my car will only do this if it has sat for multiple days/weeks. Or if I start it and move it outside then it will smoke when I go to move it back inside. Because I am easily annoyed it bugs me.

Its really subjective though, are we talking about a cloud or just some smoke?

It would be nice to have none though....not sure if it would be 300 bucks nice....

I get skittish putting anything into the car though which could cut off oil supply. I wonder what the failure mode of the valve is....fail open or fail closed.
https://medium.com/@crashingdoor
Old 02-26-2015, 08:19 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Garage
I got one of these :

TurboKraft Inc : Turbocharger Oil Feed Line Set : 3K-Warner [930 CVS BWK TK] - $205.00
1980 SC Flatnose, Euro 3.0, LW Flywheel, 993 Cams, Port & Polish Heads, RS Cut Valves, Magnacor Leads, Boxster Brakes, WEVO Mounts, TRG Roll Bars, Rollcage, RSR rear fenders, WEVO Shifter, K27 7200 Turbo, OBX Headers, Tial Wastegate, Omex 710 ECU, 3.2 Intake, Full Bay Intercooler.....400HP
Old 02-26-2015, 09:42 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Garage
Or you could get just this maybe :

TurboKraft Inc : Turbocharger Oil Feed Check Valve [930 107 706 TK] - $52.00
1980 SC Flatnose, Euro 3.0, LW Flywheel, 993 Cams, Port & Polish Heads, RS Cut Valves, Magnacor Leads, Boxster Brakes, WEVO Mounts, TRG Roll Bars, Rollcage, RSR rear fenders, WEVO Shifter, K27 7200 Turbo, OBX Headers, Tial Wastegate, Omex 710 ECU, 3.2 Intake, Full Bay Intercooler.....400HP
Old 02-26-2015, 09:46 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)
My 930 has one of these aftermarket lines with checkvalve, I believe it's the Turbokraft one but not certain as this was done by the prior owner when engine was rebuilt and K27 fitted.

I also had oil lines with check valves installed on my 993TT. Had more issues with that car in terms of smoke at startup than I've had with my 930. This was more than just an initial puff... in the worst cases it took 2-3mins to burn off after startup because of residual oil backing into the turbos when the car sat (doesn't get driven daily). And there's no oil leaks from other areas of engine (e.g. valve covers etc), was literally just this area.

For the 993TT though there's an OEM Porsche part which I believe originally came on 996 turbos which retrofits directly. To the best of my knowledge only the aftermarket check valves are available for 930.
'97 993 Turbo S - Ocean Blue Metallic
'13 981 Boxster (BGB 3.8L 991S conversion) - Racing Yellow
Old 02-26-2015, 10:36 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Custom 930

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miguel Antonett View Post
I disagree about how expensive our cars are... but if you buy that type of stuff, they become expensive.

If you have a "plume of smoke" upon start up you have other issues...

I love the smell of my garage - and really the house - after coming back from a hard drive on the 930... M2c - Sorry!
Other issues? No other issues.
Just want less smoke on start-up. The smell will always be there and I don't mind that.
Just don't like the plume of smoke.
Old 03-02-2015, 10:07 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

A lot of it has to do with the valve seals installed on the exhaust valve guides. White teflon ones or nitrile and the condition of them.
Nitrile ones in good condition are less likely to let oil seep past when the engine sits overnight or longer and the lower half of the cam tower fills up with oil as gravity makes the oil level in the oil tank and engine equalize.

That check valve in the "S" hose looks like a good idea that should work well. I hope nobody ever has one starve or restrict the pressure side of the oil pump of oil.

Old 03-02-2015, 08:50 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Tags
check , oil , rothsport , valve