Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Quote:
Originally Posted by JacobS911 View Post
Thanks for the offers guys! I will def be sending out a PM.

The car is green, and I thought it was black when I first saw pics of the car. The green is great looking and really haven't seen to many in this color before which is kinda nice!
I'm working on a 78 non-Turbo build in the same color.. That is 265 Oak Green Metallic.. should clean -up very well.

Good luck and welcome to the madness!!
RGruppe #180
So many cars.. so little time!!
Old 02-28-2015, 08:14 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #21 (permalink)

I'm out in Golden too and happy to help out. I can hold a beer and flashlight with the best of 'em. My 77 still needs paint and interior resto, but I did have the engine and and tranny completed and she runs fantastic. Car was sitting for many years before I got it. Congrats on the buy.
99 E320 4Matic Wagon
Old 02-28-2015, 11:11 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #22 (permalink)
Large Member

Garage
thought my eyes weren't playing tricks on me and I saw some hues of green in that... I LOVE the green - nice find

bummer on the rust, but hopefully you'll readily tend to it

those wheels are really unique - dig 'em

my bud Dave's got a green '89 nearby too in Evergreen but not on here much, another resource for you out there - and in Oak 8-)... awesome color

| '01 ///M5 | '96 993 C2 cab | '05 S600 Sport - biturbo V12@Just Not Right 495rwhp / 612rwtq |
| '58 TR3A | '01 //S8 | '95 //S6 6gang | '88 ///M5 | '87 190E 2.3-16 |
Old 02-28-2015, 02:38 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #23 (permalink)

Garage
Thanks for all the kind words and offers to help out!! Nice to have a handful of Porsche nuts this close Sent out PM's today.

Now off to Harbor Freight to get some jack stands and a few lights and tools
Old 02-28-2015, 03:18 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #24 (permalink)

Garage
The wheels are CCWs.. Previous owner got back to me on that. Either way I still love em!!

Quick update. Did a little work on the steering column area today, and got the gas cap to finally come off! That was a pain. The seal was completely shot.. new one's on its way now.

Before

Steering bushing deteriorated. You can see the pile of whats left of the original in there. New one on its way as well

Couple of the lock washers had gone missing as they were not in the zip lock baggy with all the plastic bits and screws..ran to home depot and picked some up that were as close to the original size as possible.. they will be hidden behind the wheel so figured at $1 can't go wrong. Painted them black so they weren't all shiny. Stock one on the right. I wouldn't mind having original porsche ones if any one knows where I can source those that would be great!

After. Installed rubber over hub and attached the wheel to see what it looks like when completed.. looking gooood! Didn't install the lock nut on the hub since I'll be taking the wheel off to put in the steering column bushing in later this week.

Ordered up an few parts today.. most important a new ignition switch as the one on the car is toast. So I'll start there and drain all the fluids this week/ weekend and maybe look to fire her up!
Old 03-01-2015, 05:36 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #25 (permalink)

That rust is really bad.
There's a lot more you can't see yet and the sooner it's cut out and new sections of left and right longitudinals are welded in and painted the better.
The rocker panels are bolted on and removing them will help you see more..

Looks like someone has brush painted the inner side above the floorpan with rustoleum smoke grey enamel to possibly hide more rust. Hopefully you won't find bondo packed in under it filling in more rust.
That's going to be very expensive if you're pay a restoration shop to repair and repaint it properly.
Good thing it's not a Targa... with rust like that the car could fold up with nothing but a floor pan and center tunnel holding it together.

Anyway, congrats and good luck with your new car.
Old 03-01-2015, 06:13 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #26 (permalink)

non-whiner

+1 on the rust. You have a lot of work ahead of you and it is not for the feint of heart!
Old 03-01-2015, 06:31 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #27 (permalink)

the rust job is POSITIVE ... whithout it the car would never have been on sale 29$
and I am not reading "back to stock" and then storage on this one

Great car, I would have loved to own a 265 oak grean 79 930

Concrats on one of the best car and color ever
Old 03-02-2015, 03:08 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #28 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by JakobM View Post
the rust job is POSITIVE ... whithout it the car would never have been on sale 29$
and I am not reading "back to stock" and then storage on this one

Great car, I would have loved to own a 265 oak grean 79 930

Concrats on one of the best car and color ever
Agreed! No rust = No 930 in my situation.

Project car suits me better anyways.. and correct.. not back to stock
Old 03-03-2015, 03:40 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #29 (permalink)

Garage
Weekend update.. Did a little work on the car this weekend. First up. Pulled rockers to inspect behind them and a pleasant surprise.. solidOther than a little rust by the jack tube on drivers side looking great.

Best guess.. not what porsche used as the hardware to install rockers

Up next: Drain gas and remove to take care of a little rust on the bottom of the tank. Will hopefully finish the prep and paint of the tank and have it back in by next weekend.

Finally today. Rust behind the lower front drivers side fender was hideous. Noticed when removing the rocker that there was about a 1/2 inch gap between the rocker and the body up where the front door meets the fender...You can see the rust expansion built up in there.. no bueno

The rust is pretty light there most of it removed back to shiny metal with a light sanding using 60grit paper. Phew..was a little worried as I was pulling the fender that I was going to find something very ugly.

The fender had all the rust..none one the body much to my surprise, but I'll take it!!!

Think if can be saved?! or just source another 930 fender? A little torn on this.. I want to save this one of course and I'm hoping its not too far gone

'79 930 turbo RoW - Oak Green Metallic - k27-7200 - Kokeln Intercooler - RarlyL8 headers/muffler - Leask WuR - Tial 46mm - Rebel racing sphericals front/rear - ER Monoballs front/rear - ER adjustable spring plates - 29/23mm TBs - Wevo engine mounts - Rebel racing transmission mounts
'99 4Runner Sr5
Old 03-08-2015, 04:29 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #30 (permalink)

It's a little hard to tell from the pix but, it looks salvageable. Your car has fenders with hand welded flares which are NLA from Porsche. There getting really expensive and hard to find used.
The 86 and up stamped fenders are still being made and are much (easier and cheaper)
to find used. I just sold one for under $1000 shipped.
Super cool car BTW. Love the color.
Old 03-08-2015, 07:35 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #31 (permalink)
3 restos WIP = psycho

Ha, you guys need to see what the early car guys are saving!!! You're looking AOK.

- 1965 911
- 1969 911S
- 1980 911SC Targa
- 1979 930
Old 03-08-2015, 09:45 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #32 (permalink)

Quote:
Agreed! No rust = No 930 in my situation.

Project car suits me better anyways.. and correct.. not back to stock
looks like a great project, I'll be watching.

for me, I got a 78 930 clone. and if not a clone could not have afforded. almost done with the 951 DE/track car so when I get started ... again ... on the 930, planning a full engine/trans out refresh and repaint. and since a clone, not stock and not worried about it. it will be a driver but as near show quality and track capable as I can get/afford.

good luck and enjoy.
86 944 turbo my new DE/track car.
78 930 clone project car.
Old 03-09-2015, 09:27 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #33 (permalink)

Nice turbo...keep the shiny side up+enjoy !
Marty
Old 03-11-2015, 11:13 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #34 (permalink)

That rust looks scary, but it's not the end of the world. You will find a lot of help in the paint and bodywork forum. Also check the windshield pillars for rot.

Brendon
Old 03-12-2015, 03:14 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #35 (permalink)

Oh and that IS the factory rocker hardware.
Old 03-12-2015, 03:15 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #36 (permalink)

Congrats- looks like a great project, good luck!

Phil
Old 03-12-2015, 07:25 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #37 (permalink)

Garage
Update time! Been working, but not posting. So kind of a pic heavy update tonight New ignition switch installed.
Stainless brake lines all around and new hard lines in the back

Next up. Valve adjustment done. I'm glad I got in there to do this. It really isn't as intimidating as it sounds.. Should go much much fast next time. Did the traditional adjustment and not the backside way.. might give that a shot next time.

Gas tank refresh and put back in the place it came from

First time out of the garage since I've owned it!

Not sure what they are called but pulled the door card caps and removed the suede covers because the originals were used and the tan looks sooooo much better!

'79 930 turbo RoW - Oak Green Metallic - k27-7200 - Kokeln Intercooler - RarlyL8 headers/muffler - Leask WuR - Tial 46mm - Rebel racing sphericals front/rear - ER Monoballs front/rear - ER adjustable spring plates - 29/23mm TBs - Wevo engine mounts - Rebel racing transmission mounts
'99 4Runner Sr5
Old 04-05-2015, 08:06 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #38 (permalink)

Garage
Few more pics that didn't fit in the original post
Oh.. and it did jump start and took it for a spin around the block!! Light white smoke..

Looking good from this side

Still haven't put the drivers side fender back on.

One more pic of the interior with the tan back on the doors.

It was a productive day! but more than likely have to get a new front fuel pump as it was starting to make a noticeable buzz after running for a little bit.. really didn't notice it at first. Will see if it's still buzzing later this week when I get it running again.
'99 4Runner Sr5
Old 04-05-2015, 08:13 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #39 (permalink)

Beautiful color, great job with car.

Phil
Old 04-05-2015, 08:19 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #40 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: