Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
Not sure this is post worthy.. but it's better than rambling on about 930 values Date correct fuchs showed up from fellow pelican. Just need refinished so really looking forward to taking that on!

I've been driving around with no electric windows and it sucks! So did the ghetto wiring to at least get them up and down for now. Going to get into wiring correctly soon so I don't have to open the hood every time to put them up or day
'79 930 turbo RoW - Oak Green Metallic - k27-7200 - Kokeln Intercooler - RarlyL8 headers/muffler - Leask WuR - Tial 46mm - Rebel racing sphericals front/rear - ER Monoballs front/rear - ER adjustable spring plates - 29/23mm TBs - Wevo engine mounts - Rebel racing transmission mounts
'99 4Runner Sr5
Old 05-17-2015, 01:34 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #61 (permalink)

I'm glad the right guy got this car, keep up the good work.

Phil
Old 05-17-2015, 01:39 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #62 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by pu911 View Post
I'm glad the right guy got this car, keep up the good work.

Phil
Thanks Phil! Will do my best
'79 930 turbo RoW - Oak Green Metallic - k27-7200 - Kokeln Intercooler - RarlyL8 headers/muffler - Leask WuR - Tial 46mm - Rebel racing sphericals front/rear - ER Monoballs front/rear - ER adjustable spring plates - 29/23mm TBs - Wevo engine mounts - Rebel racing transmission mounts
'99 4Runner Sr5
Old 05-17-2015, 08:57 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #63 (permalink)

Garage
Been awhile since I posted on progress.. Lately been focused on getting to pass emissions and today that day came!! Guy was great at the place i went to.. said he was familiar with porsches after I explained the cat was hidden way above the muffler. As I've gone and failed a couple times already I've started watching them and what they look for and usually theres 3 of them standing behind the car looking at it and have a mirror under trying to find stuff.. today he didn't even lift the lid very cool guy ha

I think I will be the only one in the DMV this week with a ridiculous grin on my face

oh and I put a rarlyl8 street on awhile back for the o2 bung for tuning with the afr... sound is a nice side benefit. Will be putting it back on this weekend.. just never posted one on here when I had it installed. Don't worry the reflectors will go back in too. Also, where can I get some new ones?? They are pretty ratted out as the back metal has rusted out of them

'99 4Runner Sr5
Old 08-14-2015, 12:04 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #64 (permalink)

Garage
Couple items I've gathered from fellow pelicans

And another pic of the Rod Emory 356 outlaw knob. This thing is beautiful and has great weight to it. Fits perfect with the crusher sleeve from original 930 knob... wish someone made a knob with this material that looked like the 930 knob.

Shifter should be going in this weekend or early next week. Just waiting on new porsche coupler and brass bushings to show up saturday from our host.
'99 4Runner Sr5
Old 08-27-2015, 01:52 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #65 (permalink)

Garage
Sooo Magnus wrecked his car In other news I got to cleaning up my shifter for install this weekend

A little brake cleaner and scouring pad does the trick. Hand cramp is unavoidable. Will glass bead blast it or soda blast at some point in the future to get an evan statin finish. This will do for now while I get it all set up.

** Looking for a stock front valance and rubber lip correct for my car as well
'99 4Runner Sr5

Last edited by JacobS911; 08-28-2015 at 03:36 PM..
Old 08-28-2015, 10:54 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #66 (permalink)

You're making great progress!
'78 930 #441
'87 951
Old 08-28-2015, 11:27 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #67 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by patina View Post
You're making great progress!
Thanks Patrick! Slowly coming along, but I don't mind. This is the best part!!
'99 4Runner Sr5
Old 08-28-2015, 03:37 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #68 (permalink)

Garage
Disapointing afternoon. Removed my hargett shifter to install the stock one, and then looked up how to install the shift rod.. should of looked that up first. Looks like engine and trans need to be dropped to get the rod into the tunnel. Took me awhile to collect the parts really was hoping to get this in today!!

Anyways guess it has to wait till I put it up for the winter to jump into this.

New porsche shift coupler and brass bushings installed. Kind of a pain to install with having to sand the coupler to get them to fit. No slop though after the install in the connection like it had with brand new bushings from the factory. Ruins a quarter in the process New ball cup and shift rod bushings installed too. Back into boxes for now..
'99 4Runner Sr5
Old 08-29-2015, 05:31 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #69 (permalink)

Garage

A little set back tonight.. and missing out on the pelican drive tomorrow up through Rocky Mnt. National park now Hit a few hard bumps in road construction tonight and the car started to lose power on me. Lights didn't dim or anything and could hear odd noise from the back leading me to believe the rear fuel pump is the issue. Will sound normal after sitting then give odd buzz or something hard to explain, but def doesn't sound normal. Will start up but die out driving again. Any ideas? or most likely rear pump?
'99 4Runner Sr5
Old 09-11-2015, 10:12 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #70 (permalink)
Banned

Any chance that the buzzing sound you're hearing is coming from the CDI box? Maybe one of the wire connections inside it got jarred loose, or perhaps the harness plug is no longer fully seated?

I know that the engine does not run for crap if one of the two fuel pumps fails, but am not sure that it would stop running altogether like you describe. A problem with the CDI will cause the engine to shut down, but can also do the temporary restart bit as well.

Pretty much a wild assed guess from me, but maybe try to check if the buzzing is coming from the CDI box or the relay panel back there . . .
Old 09-11-2015, 10:46 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #71 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronnie's.930 View Post
Any chance that the buzzing sound you're hearing is coming from the CDI box? Maybe one of the wire connections inside it got jarred loose, or perhaps the harness plug is no longer fully seated?

I know that the engine does not run for crap if one of the two fuel pumps fails, but am not sure that it would stop running altogether like you describe. A problem with the CDI will cause the engine to shut down, but can also do the temporary restart bit as well.

Pretty much a wild assed guess from me, but maybe try to check if the buzzing is coming from the CDI box or the relay panel back there . . .
Thanks! Will go out and check now. Crossing my fingers.
'99 4Runner Sr5
Old 09-11-2015, 10:50 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #72 (permalink)

Garage
Went out and fired right up now. Idled good with no buzzing from inside the cabin or outside near the cdi box in the back. All the connections seemed to be secured as well Hmm
'99 4Runner Sr5
Old 09-11-2015, 11:01 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #73 (permalink)
Crotchety Old Bastard

Garage
Don't you love intermittent problems?
A local fellow had a Euro 930 that died on the road towed to my house one night. Checking the electrical connections first lead to a loose CDI 6-plug pigtail. Someone had unplugged it and not plugged it back properly. Pushed it up snug, fired the car and off he went with no further problems (other than a tow bill).
The second thing I check is the fuel pump relays and fuses. Those bastards give little warning of failure and can cause a host of intermittent issues.
Old 09-12-2015, 06:39 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #74 (permalink)

Garage
That has happened to me also, minus the tow
SOLD, 911GT ,CIS, 428 fwhp 450 trq, Carrillo rods, 964 cams, TT retainers,7.5 comp 1.1 bar boost 320 ml black fuel head 009 injectors, 044 pumps, 60-1 T4/T3 dual scroll turbo
Old 09-12-2015, 08:50 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #75 (permalink)

A third thing to check is the multi pin plug contacts on the speed relay under the drivers seat or left side seat. That is if the car has a speed relay.
It's the factory rev limiter that disconnects the fuel pump relay grounds around 7200 rpm and it may control the CIS vacuum solenoids on cars that have them too.
Old 09-12-2015, 08:52 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #76 (permalink)

Garage
Thanks for the replies guys!

I just checked the connections again and fired it up. Idles just fine, but stumbles with hitting the accelerator. Hopefully that helps in the diagnosis!
'99 4Runner Sr5
Old 09-12-2015, 09:15 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #77 (permalink)
Crotchety Old Bastard

Garage
Do you have fuel pressure gages? Need to eliminate either fuel or spark as the issue and go from there. First impression is you have one weak fuel pump. If so they engine will run pig rich at idle and struggle under load as it goes lean.
Old 09-12-2015, 10:59 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #78 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by RarlyL8 View Post
Do you have fuel pressure gages? Need to eliminate either fuel or spark as the issue and go from there. First impression is you have one weak fuel pump. If so they engine will run pig rich at idle and struggle under load as it goes lean.
I have checked the pressures within that last month or so with good readings. She does run pretty rich at idle though.. check pressures again? It had been running strong under load no issues of going lean before last night. I will borrow the gauges again from a fellow pelican though to start ruling things out.
'99 4Runner Sr5
Old 09-12-2015, 11:14 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #79 (permalink)

*Love* the Oak Green Metallic!

1975-85 CIS is simpler that later CIS systems.
You say it stumbles when you hit the accelerator -- is this stationary or when driving?

Anything change if you turn the headlights on? [Alternator, voltage regulator]

Do you own a CIS fuel pressure test kit? Every DIYer should have one. Our host probably sells it, otherwise about $125 from NAPA Auto Parts. You'll need to get extra adapter to test the fuel pumps.

Factory procedure to test fuel pumps:
Connect a fuel pressure gauge inline between the pumps. Turn the key on and measure pressure, it should be between 2-4bar.
* If under 2bar, the front pump is bad
* If over 4bar, the rear pump is bad
If out of spec, check fuses, relays, and voltage to the pumps.

It never hurts to disconnect the battery and take some time cleaning electrical contacts and applying dielectric grease. Battery terminals; ground points to chassis (incl. trans ground strap); relays & fuses; CDI & green wire connector, 14-pin engine harness, all engine sensors including WUR, AFM contact switch, etc.
email: info@turbokraft.com
http://www.facebook.com/TurboKraft - http://www.instagram.com/TurboKraft
Old 09-12-2015, 11:37 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #80 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: