Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurboKraft View Post
*Love* the Oak Green Metallic!

1975-85 CIS is simpler that later CIS systems.
You say it stumbles when you hit the accelerator -- is this stationary or when driving?

Anything change if you turn the headlights on? [Alternator, voltage regulator]

Do you own a CIS fuel pressure test kit? Every DIYer should have one. Our host probably sells it, otherwise about $125 from NAPA Auto Parts. You'll need to get extra adapter to test the fuel pumps.

Factory procedure to test fuel pumps:
Connect a fuel pressure gauge inline between the pumps. Turn the key on and measure pressure, it should be between 2-4bar.
* If under 2bar, the front pump is bad
* If over 4bar, the rear pump is bad
If out of spec, check fuses, relays, and voltage to the pumps.

It never hurts to disconnect the battery and take some time cleaning electrical contacts and applying dielectric grease. Battery terminals; ground points to chassis (incl. trans ground strap); relays & fuses; CDI & green wire connector, 14-pin engine harness, all engine sensors including WUR, AFM contact switch, etc.
Just got done running warm and cold psi check on pumps

Cold was 40psi or 2.75bar
Warm was 54psi or 3.72bar

When over connections for cdi as well as others connections in the engine bay. Also, looked through all fuses and relays to make sure properly secured. Battery grounds and terminals are clean. Will get under car and check trans ground strap.

Car stumbles at idle hitting the gas as well as trying to drive. No change in lighting when on. Didn't notice that last night which would have been easily noticeable since this was at night when it happened.

*** just started and revved it some with no stumbling... maybe I snugged something up?? still going to go under and check trans strap though
'79 930 turbo RoW - Oak Green Metallic - k27-7200 - Kokeln Intercooler - RarlyL8 headers/muffler - Leask WuR - Tial 46mm - Rebel racing sphericals front/rear - ER Monoballs front/rear - ER adjustable spring plates - 29/23mm TBs - Wevo engine mounts - Rebel racing transmission mounts
'99 4Runner Sr5

Last edited by JacobS911; 09-12-2015 at 03:04 PM..
Old 09-12-2015, 02:48 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #81 (permalink)

If your car has the lambda system on it try unplugging the oxygen sensor connection in the engine compartment. If a lambda system is leaning out the fuel head that could stop the stumbling.
Old 09-12-2015, 03:17 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #82 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by JFairman View Post
If your car has the lambda system on it try unplugging the oxygen sensor connection in the engine compartment. If a lambda system is leaning out the fuel head that could stop the stumbling.
Don't believe that mine has that system. Was able to just drive it up and down the driveway successfully. Wish I knew what I tightened down to potentially cure this issue. Going to drive it around the block here shortly I think once I summon the courage ha hoping it doesn't return.
'79 930 turbo RoW - Oak Green Metallic - k27-7200 - Kokeln Intercooler - RarlyL8 headers/muffler - Leask WuR - Tial 46mm - Rebel racing sphericals front/rear - ER Monoballs front/rear - ER adjustable spring plates - 29/23mm TBs - Wevo engine mounts - Rebel racing transmission mounts
'99 4Runner Sr5
Old 09-12-2015, 03:49 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #83 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by JacobS911 View Post
...hoping it doesn't return.
Don't worry, it won't.

If I'm wrong you can either take advantage of your new AAA membership or fork over a couple more C-notes for another flatbed ride home.
Old 09-12-2015, 08:19 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #84 (permalink)
Large Member

Garage
either the contacts in the rear yellow relay are loose and the large bump jarred them a bit

or

your front pump is either on its way out or got some crap lodged into it from said large bump, which has either now pulled thru or dislodged

when my front pump was going in / out, the rear one was LOUD as it struggled to pull fuel thru the inoperable front pump

immediate symptom was car would choke on itself with any hint of loud pedal input

if it happens again, try wrapping on the front pump a tad to see if you can jar it back to life

I replaced my front pump and all's been fine... until last week, 1mi up the road it hiccup'd again... thinking tank debris may be the issue. Winter project at this point.

Good luck, HTH...

ps. Oak Green FTMFW!!!!!

| '01 ///M5 | '96 993 C2 cab | '05 S600 Sport - biturbo V12@Just Not Right 495rwhp / 612rwtq |
| '58 TR3A | '01 //S8 | '95 //S6 6gang | '88 ///M5 | '87 190E 2.3-16 |
Old 09-13-2015, 05:39 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #85 (permalink)

There's a real fine screen fuel filter in the gas tank that screws in from the bottom of the tank with a 22mm allen head and genuine Bosch 044 pumps have a fine screen filter in the inlet side. You can see it when looking into the fuel inlet hole in the pump.
I don't remember if the original 930 Bosch front fuel pumps had the fine screen filter in them.

I had my gas tank out a few years ago and cleaned it and painted it while it was out.
To remove and replace the fuel pick up filter on the bottom of the tank I put the head of an old 22mm bolt into the allen head part of it and turned it with a pipe wrench on the shank of the bolt.
I used blue hylomar sealant (which ignores gasoline) on the o-ring for the screw in fuel pickup filter and it doesn't leak.

This is the bottom of my repainted gas tank and the fuel pickup 22mm allen head fitting I'm referring to.

Old 09-13-2015, 06:21 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #86 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JacobS911 View Post
Don't believe that mine has that system.
Hopefully not but you never know if the car was "federalized" so it could be registered here after it was imported to the states.
In the early eightees I worked at a place that "federalized" grey market imported Euro Mercedes and Porsches and we installed aftermaket lambda systems along with other poorly installed crap. Those CIS lambda boxes were in a small white plastic case around the size of a pack of cigarettes and it along with a heat sinked resistor could be installed anywhere on the car... usually somewhere in the engine compartment.

Anyway, good luck with fixing your CIS lean stumbling.
Old 09-13-2015, 06:40 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #87 (permalink)
Large Member

Garage
thanks Jim! Winter project fersure, along with yoinking all that under-seat crap lol...

| '01 ///M5 | '96 993 C2 cab | '05 S600 Sport - biturbo V12@Just Not Right 495rwhp / 612rwtq |
Old 09-13-2015, 06:41 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #88 (permalink)

You're welcome Paul.
Only good thing about the original lambda box from my '87 was I sold it for 150 bucks. I don't remember what I did with the fuel enrichment relay and the speed relay is still there and hooked up.
I have a digital MSD ignition in the car and I have it's built in "soft" rev limiter set to 6500rpms.
Old 09-13-2015, 07:08 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #89 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by nkowi View Post
Don't worry, it won't.

If I'm wrong you can either take advantage of your new AAA membership or fork over a couple more C-notes for another flatbed ride home.
That's what I'm thinking! Anyways took it around the neighborhood this morning no issues again. The only thing that really felt like I was snugging back up was the connection to the cdi box.. guess that did the trick. Not sure if it's debris that could cause this issue, but maybe. I did have the tank out earlier this year and drained and no sort of deposits came out into the bucket with the gas. Who knows though..

Thanks for letting me borrow the cis gauges again Norm! Getting pretty good at checking fuel pressures
'99 4Runner Sr5

Last edited by JacobS911; 09-13-2015 at 07:31 AM..
Old 09-13-2015, 07:29 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #90 (permalink)

Garage
Great !
SOLD, 911GT ,CIS, 428 fwhp 450 trq, Carrillo rods, 964 cams, TT retainers,7.5 comp 1.1 bar boost 320 ml black fuel head 009 injectors, 044 pumps, 60-1 T4/T3 dual scroll turbo
Old 09-13-2015, 11:48 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #91 (permalink)

Garage
Exclamation

Here's the original jack that came in my 930. It's a "green-dot" Bilstein with a solid-metal tongue-insert. Notice:

1.) everything that is printed on the decal, especially the diagram showing tongue shape AND the max. weight liftable being 9000 N/900 kg (newer 964, 996, and 996 TT decals state 10000 N and even 11000 N !
2.) the Bilstein word on one side of the insertable tongue
3.) the width and shape of the plate which stabilizes the jack on the ground
4.) the elongated-triangle shape of the crank handle vs. a rectangular-shaped one with bend found on some other green-dot Bilstein jacks
5.) it's height of 51 cm (or, ~20 in.) - I've seen similar looking Bilstein jacks with at least 3 different overall heights. This matters because suspension travel throughout the years going back to the 1948 pre-A Gmund Porsche has changed between the various Porsche models. And a short Bilstein jack won't crank high enough to raise some Porsche cars high enough to clear the ground to get the wheel and tire off which renders it useless if you get a flat while touring.

Last edited by amazongreenie; 09-17-2015 at 02:09 PM..
Old 09-17-2015, 02:07 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #92 (permalink)

Love the color. My father had an SC in that same combo and always thought it was a gorgeous green. The snowy delivery also warms my heart having spent most of my time with my 930 in Chicago and largely driving it year round (normally on spanked r-compounds).
Old 09-17-2015, 02:26 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #93 (permalink)
The Spit

beautiful build jacob
Awesome to watch you go through all this
Old 10-14-2015, 12:42 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #94 (permalink)

Garage
The time has come to put the car up for the winter and give it some much needed tlc and updates! This was my first summer of Porsche ownership and it has been frustrating and fun all at the same time.. mainly frustrating due to emissions testing here and having Euro turbo. But it passed and picked up some 5 year historic plates Here is a pic of the car as it sits now in the garage waiting for some luvin.

Plans for the winter.

Suspension refresh: RSR busings. ER monoballs. Drop spindles?? rebuilt hd struts or update to sport struts. Bearings. Torsion bars(still deciding on sizes). Ball joints. Anythings special I need to do if I want to switch back and forth between 16s and 17s?

Engine/Trans: Engine drop and reseal on leaky bits. Another valve adjustment should be much easier with the ending out. BL Adjustable Wur. RarlyL8 headers(hoping). Larger Intercooler. Removing Hargett in favor or stock shifter with wevo classic short shift new bushings and brass coupler bushings as previously posted.

Body: Have a stock front valance I'll be putting on.

Wheels. Refinish fuchs and wrap in re11s. New rubber on ccw's.

Interior: Refinish seats. RSR carpet. Trying and locate cork rear turbo seats and other interior bits it's missing. Not really urgent on this, but would like to start gathering them

Here's a few other of my favorite shots of the car over the summer. Carlee my dog loves to go for rides! Hoping next year I'll venture farther out into the mountains as this year having a brand new 36 year old car wasn't too keen on going on long road trips, but she did great.

'99 4Runner Sr5
Old 12-12-2015, 09:19 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #95 (permalink)

Garage
Sounds like you are going to have a busy winter!
Looks like your dog is enjoying the car too...
Good pics.
Iain - 1981 930 #642
Old 12-12-2015, 06:12 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #96 (permalink)
Large Member

Garage
cool pics

wow, that's a shiit ton of projects you'll have goin on thar! Noice. Hopefully yer able to plow thru them all. Will be quite the feat and end result certainly.

ps. add "ebrake" and "cap antenna hole" to yer punchlist 8-)

Old 12-13-2015, 05:36 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #97 (permalink)

Garage
Thanks guys! Ebrake and antenna plug are def on the list.. as among other little things. Never ending list on this car haha

Made some progress on the front suspension today.

'99 4Runner Sr5
Old 12-20-2015, 12:14 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #98 (permalink)
Fastest Hunk of Junk

Looks like fun! Bringing ze Oddi to the next few C&Cs?
'95 BMW 540iT Euro (JDM)
'10 Mini Justa (hers)
Old 12-21-2015, 10:34 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #99 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleedsblue View Post
Looks like fun! Bringing ze Oddi to the next few C&Cs?
She made an appearance at the one this past June. Don't think we will be making it out to C&C until spring when the car is back on the road! I'm ready for spring! Is C&C going to happen in January??
'99 4Runner Sr5
Old 12-21-2015, 09:00 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #100 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: