Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Registered

Garage
1976 experts? No start

After 30 years my first no start. Been driving the car 15-30 miles a day at least 3 times a week in anticipation of some big road trip for the last 3 months. Just last week someone here was talking about relays. Someone pointed out the 76's were different. I have a red relay on the rear left engine bay shelf. Thought I had some spares but no. I'd taken it for a good hard run. Currently applying some leather treatment for the front seats and let it sit for several hrs. Get in crank crank crank no fire. Jiggle relays, check fuses try again in another 30 min. Nothing. Push car in garage. Try an hr later. Crank fire for a sec dies. Another 15 same. Search forums. Here I sit stumped.

Old 03-22-2015, 02:25 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
If you can reach around to left side of the metering flap and disconnect the electrical connector, you should hear the fuel pumps should run as soon as the key is turned on. If they don't then check fuse connections, fuel pump relays and the overboost pressure switch electrical connection is good. If the fuel pumps run, then you need to check for spark.
Old 03-22-2015, 05:55 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Garage
They run 2 fuel pumps through 1 fuse from the factory.

It is common these days to have the fuel pumps wired up to individual fuses, as this circuit sees high loads.

You can use a black relay for testing purposes, just don't leave it in there for good.

The two rear most relays under the hood are fuel pumps. The rear relay in the engine bay is overboost and engine run.

I have a 76 and found 1975 wiring diagrams more relevant than anything else.
Old 03-23-2015, 12:12 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
Registered

do you have gas in it?

FP's not working. dont know if it will start with just one running but i think it would......maybe
08 VOLVO V70 190K:: [__] RUNNING: [__] NOT RUNNING:
90 B2200[__] RUNNING:[] NOT RUNNING:__2000 MER E320 WAGON [] WRECKED:[]RUNNING:
Old 03-23-2015, 04:12 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
Got in this morning and fired right up. I had just placed my order in for the red and two browns. I thought I had some in the glove box from long ago but it was just fuses and some headlight replacement bulbs. Of course my wife asked me what I would have done had we taken the 930 up to Denver last weekend.

Yesterday when I went for a ride I shifted at 6500 in first and second gear. Of course the boost was maxed. What exactly does the over boost relay do?
Old 03-23-2015, 10:23 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Garage
You won't over boost in normal driving. It's just there in case of a waste gate failure or alike.

The car will start with one fuel pump running, but badly.

Ensure the fuel pump fuse and the wires at the fuse block are clean.

In fact just put a new fuse in it to be sure.

Old 03-23-2015, 11:31 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: