Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Registered

Garage
"Crunchy" steering?

That's the word the mechanic used when he did the PPI 5 years ago. The steering works fine but it sort of feels like there is a drag. Almost the kind of noise that a sway bar does when it slides in its rubber mounts and that noise only happens when moving slowly. You can also feel that something drags or resists in the turning. A bad bushing? Has anyone experienced this?
I pulled the boots at the tie rods and the shaft looked fine.
Any idea?
Thanks!
David

1985 Black 930, K27 7006, Garretson Intercooler, Adj boost, TB: 23 - 31mm, bielstein sport shocks, ER polybronze bushings front and rear, ER monoball joints front and rear with offset camber plates, 935 X triangulated strut brace, raised spindles, racing bump steer kit
1981 Black 911sc (sold)
Old 05-02-2015, 10:28 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

I know when I do the bump steer washers in my 930, the universal joins have a clunking feeling to them
Old 05-02-2015, 10:53 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
Thanks, I don't have the bump steer washers, there was no room for them... I have the ER racing bump steer on the struts but the crunchiness was there before I changed the suspension.
1985 Black 930, K27 7006, Garretson Intercooler, Adj boost, TB: 23 - 31mm, bielstein sport shocks, ER polybronze bushings front and rear, ER monoball joints front and rear with offset camber plates, 935 X triangulated strut brace, raised spindles, racing bump steer kit
1981 Black 911sc (sold)
Old 05-02-2015, 11:14 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Try the Mitch Leland replacement steering bushing available right here on Pelican. Inexpensive and an excellent product. If it doesn't fix the original issue you will have a bulletproof steering bushing and not have to wait for yours to fall apart like mine did...
Old 05-02-2015, 06:04 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
Registered

Personally, I would look at the u-joints.
Mark H. 1987 930, GP White, Wevo shifter, Borla exhaust, stock everything else. The result of a massive Pelicanite good will fire recovery effort. Truely an open book, ready for the slippery slopes to modification.
Old 05-03-2015, 04:33 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
You mean the one in the smuggler's box?
1981 Black 911sc (sold)
Old 05-03-2015, 05:27 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Are your front bearing collars tightened properly?
Old 05-03-2015, 07:17 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roby466 View Post
You mean the one in the smuggler's box?
Yep.
Mark H. 1987 930, GP White, Wevo shifter, Borla exhaust, stock everything else. The result of a massive Pelicanite good will fire recovery effort. Truely an open book, ready for the slippery slopes to modification.
Old 05-03-2015, 01:04 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by patina View Post
Are your front bearing collars tightened properly?
Bearing collars? I will have to take a look I guess. I haven't really taken anything apart yet. Unless the column bearings are seized it should rotate freely you would think. I will take a look tomorrow. I have to raise the car to grease the poly-bronze bushings and bleed the brakes anyway.

Thanks guys, two good suggestions to look at, better than rebuilding the box!
1981 Black 911sc (sold)
Old 05-03-2015, 06:35 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roby466 View Post
Bearing collars? I will have to take a look I guess. I haven't really taken anything apart yet. Unless the column bearings are seized it should rotate freely you would think. I will take a look tomorrow. I have to raise the car to grease the poly-bronze bushings and bleed the brakes anyway.

Thanks guys, two good suggestions to look at, better than rebuilding the box!
Pull the wheel, then thread a bolt (I believe it's an M8) into the hub cover. Use a slide hammer to pull the cover off exposing the bearing which is held in place by a collar. The collar is attached via an allen head bolt which can only be turned when the bearing is in one position (you will see the hole in the surround for an allen wrench). I am willing to bet they are a touch too loose.
Old 05-04-2015, 09:22 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
Ok, I didn't think you were talking about the wheel bearing collars... I know what you mean. I will take a look at that as well but I have adjusted the bearing play before and the "crunchiness" has never really gone away but I will check for a torque spec maybe to make sure they are tighten perfectly right.
Doing that tonight and will let you know in the morning. Going for a 800km trip with a couple of the kids tomorrow so I want to make sure that everything is good before going.
Cheers
David
1981 Black 911sc (sold)
Old 05-04-2015, 01:11 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
Hi guys,
I checked the bushing in the smuggler's box, it seems fine, the movement above the bushing seems to be smooth. If I put my hand on the shaft as it exits the smuggler's box and goes in the steering box, I can feel the "opposite of smoothness" of the movement.
It's as if the shaft entering the steering box is binding a bit.
The link below is a short video where we can hear the noise of the box with slight steering movement. If you look carefully, you can see that the movement of the tie rods is notchy. (not sure the best words to describe this).
This is during slow movement, if I'm turning the wheel to turn a corner, apart from the start of the turn, it goes smooth. If I turn very slowly, it will do it all the way. It makes it a bit hard to be perfectly smooth on the track so I want to sort it out. The box is precise but not smooth.
I was thinking a bushing could be squished on the shaft binding it or not sure what it could be exactly. If the interior of the box is worn, either ends could bind the rack against the housing as it pushes on the tie rods?
Have you guys seen this before? The box has had it? Input bearing to the box?
Thanks for the help
David
Here is the link:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1DfmFvSEAAI
1981 Black 911sc (sold)

Last edited by Roby466; 05-04-2015 at 04:50 PM..
Old 05-04-2015, 04:48 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Registered

Garage
Nobody has had this before? (Shameless bump)
1981 Black 911sc (sold)
Old 05-07-2015, 01:48 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

Garage
I did. It turned out to be the bearing that was directly above the u joints. It seemed smooth when I checked it, but a friend encouraged me that was the cause. So for giggles I sprayed some silicone lubricant into the bearing (still installed) to see if it improved at all. It did. Ultimately I had to replace that bearing, but in the short term some lube worked until I got a bearing.
Old 05-07-2015, 02:12 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
Thanks, I will give that a try tonight and report back! That would be much better than having to pull the box
1981 Black 911sc (sold)
Old 05-07-2015, 02:37 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
I can't really get at that bearing without removing the aircon/heating stuff... I tried to spray lube on it but it didn't change anything. I will remove the wheels and see what effect disconnecting the tie rods has.
1981 Black 911sc (sold)
Old 05-09-2015, 05:28 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
So I removed both tie rod ends from the spindles and the steering becomes perfectly smooth. When the wheels were simply raised, there was still a bit of "binding" in the steering action at very low speed. Once disconnected, everything is smooth.
However if I pull on the tie rod, I can feel the rack tooth coming in contact with the input gear. While the action is still smooth, I can definitely feel the teeth touching.
Is there an adjustment on the rack that can be done? Or you think it's a case of removing the rack and maybe the input bearing?
Here is a small video of the sound of the rack when I pull on it. If you listen carefully (past my kids yelling in the background) you can hear the rack action.
Any idea would be greatly appreciated. If the rack has had it, I guess it will be a winter project and I will keep it as it for now.
Thanks
David
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ErI1Fsaqm98

EDIT 12 May: After a bit more reading, I will be taking the rack off later today or tomorrow and replace the bearings as well as grease everything. I will let you know if it sorted the issue...

1981 Black 911sc (sold)

Last edited by Roby466; 05-12-2015 at 09:02 AM..
Old 05-11-2015, 12:12 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: