Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
FrankenCIS Digital WUR Install

I'm just the process of purchasing a FrankenCIS Digital WUR kit from dkubus ( dkubus Pty Ltd | dkubus Modern performance for Classic Mercedes Benz vehicles )
I've been speaking to Mike and he's been really helpful and will be pre installing a MAP for my car so it should be up and running out of the box.

Once the DWUR arrives and I start the install I will update here as I go.

I may also need some advice and input from you guys.
1980 SC Flatnose, Euro 3.0, LW Flywheel, 993 Cams, Port & Polish Heads, RS Cut Valves, MSD 6AL, Blaster Coil, Magnacor Leads, Boxster Brakes, WEVO Mounts, TRG Roll Bars, Rollcage, RSR rear fenders, OE Short Sift, K27 7200 Turbo Conversion, OBX Headers, Tial Wastegate, EFI MicroSquirt v3
Old 05-18-2015, 12:51 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Garage
Been in constant contact with Mike at dkubus.com for several weeks now sorting out the DWUR.

As my cars not a 930 but a turbo charged 3.0NA SC its a little different in terms of fuel pressures required etc.
So Mike asked for various bits of information so he could begin to make a working map/tune for my specific car.

I gave him a specification list and modifications done to the engine, plus I had a dyno print out of the engine when it was rebuilt with mods but before it was turbo charged, which helped (shame I don't have a dyno of it after the turbo install).
I also supplied him the control pressures for my age of SC and a similar 930. So between the two he should be able to get pretty close to decent control pressures.
I also gave him my current AFR readings and my ideal AFR's.

He also asked for a wish list of any future upgrades I may want to do so he could build the wiring loom to accommodate these future upgrades. But being a NA engine and running a 915 I don't plan on going to mad so a fairly basic setup would do me fine, although I do want to use the MS software to control timing via my MSD Digital 6AL.

The order has been placed and Mike is now working on building the loom and setting up my map/tune.

Mike has been very helpful and quick to reply to any questions I had.

Looking forward to getting the kit now and getting it fitted.

I have just got hold of a cheap old laptop with 9pin serial port and downloaded the TunerStudio and MegaLogViewer.
I'll be reading through the TunerStudio manual to get an idea of whats what.
Mike will be sending me the finalized MAP/tune ounce done so I can load it into TunerStudio and get familiar with it.
1980 SC Flatnose, Euro 3.0, LW Flywheel, 993 Cams, Port & Polish Heads, RS Cut Valves, MSD 6AL, Blaster Coil, Magnacor Leads, Boxster Brakes, WEVO Mounts, TRG Roll Bars, Rollcage, RSR rear fenders, OE Short Sift, K27 7200 Turbo Conversion, OBX Headers, Tial Wastegate, EFI MicroSquirt v3
Old 06-02-2015, 12:57 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Garage
Thank you, please keep the info coming ...
SOLD, 911GT ,CIS, 428 fwhp 450 trq, Carrillo rods, 964 cams, TT retainers,7.5 comp 1.1 bar boost 320 ml black fuel head 009 injectors, 044 pumps, 60-1 T4/T3 dual scroll turbo
Old 06-03-2015, 10:49 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Garage
Oh yeah

Old 06-20-2015, 04:17 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
umop apisdn

Let the fun begin

www.FrankenCIS.com
Old 06-20-2015, 04:21 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Garage
Mike is doing the MAP now so the kit should be on its way to me in the UK any day now.

Old 06-29-2015, 09:44 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Garage
Its here

Some pics of the unit before I start the install :

Old 07-13-2015, 09:10 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Location: Reno NV, Bay Area during most weeks,, Kids still in NH
Send a message via AIM to 9dreizig
subscribing
91 Spec Miata (yeah I race a chick car)
"life"ll kill ya" Warren Zevon
Old 07-13-2015, 09:53 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Garage
YAY......... I'm in..good luck
SOLD, 911GT ,CIS, 428 fwhp 450 trq, Carrillo rods, 964 cams, TT retainers,7.5 comp 1.1 bar boost 320 ml black fuel head 009 injectors, 044 pumps, 60-1 T4/T3 dual scroll turbo
Old 07-13-2015, 12:28 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Garage
Super cool. Look forward to seeing the results.
Old 07-13-2015, 03:17 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Garage
Had a small amount if time this weekend to start the install.

Zork tube removed and is having a second Lambda thread added for the FrankenCIS sensor.

The fit and shape of the DWUR allowed it to very simply install exactly in place of the original

930 WUR removed and FrankenCIS DWUR installed.
Fuel lines connected to DWUR.
Power feed to the original WUR has also been plugged into a plug on the DWUR harness.
Wires roughly routed to there final locations (wires for the options to be added later have been cable tied together to keep out the way).

Theres now only power, ground and distributor wires to connect, mount the unit and tuck all the cables away after the install.
Put the Zork back on and screw the FrankenCIS sensor in the Zork.

Oh and also install the air temp sensor somewhere after the intercooler and put a boost source on the MAF.

Last edited by gavinc69; 07-26-2015 at 07:52 AM..
Old 07-26-2015, 05:11 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)
3 restos WIP = psycho

Very straightforward as expected. Looking forward to tuning.

- 1965 911
- 1969 911S
- 1980 911SC Targa
- 1979 930
Old 07-26-2015, 09:27 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

umop apisdn

Quote:
Originally Posted by gavinc69 View Post
The fit and shape of the DWUR allowed it to very simply install exactly in place of the original
That is excellent news, I was as careful as we could be to ensure the footprint of the unit was within the dimensions of the Bosch WUR, as there had been comments that the UTCIS had clearance issues.

www.FrankenCIS.com
Old 07-29-2015, 03:33 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

Garage
Steve, it is a great fit. Everything just lined right up and fitted

Managed to get a little time to pop the Zork back on tonight with both sensor's installed :

Also asked Mike at Dkubus.com about the Thermal Valve and he confirmed it has to be removed. The Thermal Valve has a boost vacuum/boost source from below the throttle plate which is where the source for the MAF needs to be, so very handily I can remove the Thermal Valve and put the same line straight into the MAF

Old Thermal Valve :

Should have all Saturday to work on the car so fingers crossed may get everything done providing a few small parts arrive before the weekend.
Will post more on Sunday hopefully
Old 07-29-2015, 10:23 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

Garage
awsome..... keep it coming
Old 07-31-2015, 06:47 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)

Garage
Just about finished it this morning, all went quite quick and easy

Due to me not having the factory CDI box in the stock location I used the space to fit the MS ECU, I also removed the rear window heater relay and fitting the MAF sensor there.

The air temp sensor was installed into a silicone 90 degree hose fitting (took at bit of fiddling but the result was great).

I had a spare fuse location on the rear fuse box so I popped in a 5A fuse and wired the power to the MS ECU there.
I grounded it to the rear fuse box/CDI mounting plate, on one of its securing screws to the body work.

The optional connections from the MS ECU I have just tucked out the way for now (Throttle position, Wastegate solenoid and Knock sensor).

Air temp sensor :

Air temp sensor from inside :

MS ECU installed in CDI location:

Installing things slowly:

Old 08-01-2015, 04:03 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)

Garage
Last thing to connect is the distributor techo signal wire (green wire on the distributor).
I have emailed Mike just to confirm where I do this.

The green wire goes from the distributor to the engine harness and then into a small connector block that used to plug into the Bosch CDI box.
I have an MSD 6AL installed, so the green wire that goes into the connector block come out the other side still a green wire but goes to the MSD ignition :

Do I piggy back both the MSD and the MS ECU on the one terminal connection out of the connector block!

I can't just run one or the other as I'm sure both need a signal form the distributor to function fully.
Old 08-01-2015, 04:10 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)

Garage
Once this last thing is done, I can pop the intercooler back on and all its pipes, give everything a once other check and go for a startup.............
Old 08-01-2015, 04:12 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)

Garage
Mike has confirmed I just need to tap into the tach wire and I've just remembered the MSD has a grey tach wire output, I think it maybe going to the MSD boost retard I'm not sure but I'll take a look see.
Old 08-01-2015, 06:52 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)

Garage
I LIVES AGAIN

Very first start after install :

https://youtu.be/MatHjS18VtY

Last edited by gavinc69; 08-01-2015 at 10:06 AM..
Old 08-01-2015, 09:49 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #20 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: