Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Registered

That is good to hear. Did you do the tuning yourself or take it to someone?

Old 02-10-2016, 07:01 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #21 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
Yep, did the tuning. First stand alone I've installed and tuned as well.

Its a reasonably easy system to tune as its logs lambda correction via the wideband and a math channel is available to calculate a "new VE" based on the existing VE cells and the logged correction in that given cell.

David
Old 02-10-2016, 07:42 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #22 (permalink)
Registered

That is really good to hear. I'm in the middle of a stock rebuild on a '79 but want to get on to my hot rod build. I am planning on the Infinity when I get to it. There are 2-3 Porsche tuners within 100 mi of me that tune the Infinity, that was one of my considerations. I'll probably take it to them for a final dyno tune. What made you go with the 8 vs. the 6?
Old 02-10-2016, 07:50 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #23 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
I went with the 8 for the first install since its required for that engine. Ford Coyote quad cam v8 with variable valve timing on all 4 cams and drive by wire. I have a 6 for one of the 911 installs.
Old 02-10-2016, 08:01 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #24 (permalink)
Registered

Gotcha, the Coyote is a hell of an engine. Cheap to compared to this Porsche stuff, under $7k from Summit for a crate. I was looking at doing an RCR GT40 with a Coyote but then I got a deal on a 930 slant conversion that I couldn't pass up so no GT40 for now.

Last edited by boosted79; 02-10-2016 at 09:11 PM..
Old 02-10-2016, 08:58 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #25 (permalink)

Garage
Hi,

I share the same opinions of David about Infinity ECU. I'm the one who Chris from TK built the 993TT GT2+ for. He sent me the parts, engine harness for this ECU and we assembled everything here in Brazil.
I did all the tuning by myself also. It was the first time also that I tuned a car, although I spent a lot of time before studying for it.
There is a bunch of good material in the net nowadays for you to educate yourself on the matter. There is an online course from www.hpacademy.com that is a very good start for beginners. Also MoTeC has very good webinars explaining a lot about the tuning process and configuration.
The experience with Infinity has being very good and support from AEM is also very good.

The only thing I really miss from them is that there VE model is only based for water cooled engines and for our air cooled cars some adaptation on the software is required.

For example, there is a table of the VE model that is called ChargeTempBlend that is a 1D table that dictates what ratio of air temperature to coolant temperature is used at specific Engine
RPM to adjust the density of the inducted air. A higher number gives priority to Coolant Temperature and lower to Air Temp. As normally for our air cooled cars we use the Coolant Temp input for the CHT (Cylinder Heat Temp) sensor that has almost the double of the operating temp of water coolant temp the ChargeTempBlend table has to be modified from the default configuration. As it is it will wrongly assume a much hotter temp in the model to determine the Mass of air in the engine.

What do you guys that already used Infinity on air cooled cars are using on this table?

here is mine::
0.4 0.4 0.35 0.3 0.25 0.2 0.15 0.1 0.05 0.05
500 1500 2000 2500 3000 3500 4000 4500 5000 7000

Last edited by Ipe; 02-14-2016 at 11:40 AM.. Reason: table aligment
Old 02-12-2016, 02:43 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #26 (permalink)

Garage
Here is the table with a better layout .

Old 02-14-2016, 03:35 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #27 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
Ipe, thanks for the heads up on the difference between head temp and coolant temp. I have not got into the air cooled build yet so that's helpful.

David
Old 02-14-2016, 05:43 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #28 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
Wanted to bring this back to the top and let folks know that we still love the Infinity 8 ECU. They just came out with a new ECU called the Series 3 which has an introductory price of $999. The primary difference between that and the Series 5(same as the 6 or 8H) is no USB logging or wideband control. To run a wideband, you just run a Innovate LC1 or similar.

The system offers the same engine protection strategies, switchable maps and 2 wheel traction control. It also supports dual knock sensors as well.(if I remember correctly)

We are in the process of helping two friends install them on small block fords and will be implementing traction control and engine protection. Looking forward to the project a great deal!

David
Old 12-20-2016, 09:13 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #29 (permalink)
Registered

Good info. I am leaning towards MS3Pro because of all the great info available for it on here but will take a closer look at the AEM Series 3. But no logging may be a deal killer.
Old 12-21-2016, 05:23 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #30 (permalink)
Registered

No logging is a non-starter to me.

The ability to log all relevant channels during a dyno pull, then analyze the data relative to one another, makes it possible to really fine-tune the vehicle more efficiently and with a better result.

The $555 saved compared to an Infinity-506 is quickly offset by the additional $150 for an external Lambda controller, and tuning labor hours.
email: info@turbokraft.com
http://www.facebook.com/TurboKraft - http://www.instagram.com/TurboKraft
Old 12-21-2016, 09:42 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #31 (permalink)
Registered

I looked at the 3, it will send data to an external data logger but again, more $$$.
Old 12-21-2016, 12:53 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #32 (permalink)
Registered

Y, unless you already own a dash with datalogging -- and I'd venture to say most 930/911 owners stick with classic analog gauges -- it's not really a good match for our cars.
The Infinity-3 seems intended as a replacement ECU for LS V8s without e-throttle, replace MEFI or similar computers.
email: info@turbokraft.com
http://www.facebook.com/TurboKraft - http://www.instagram.com/TurboKraft
Old 12-21-2016, 03:22 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #33 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurboKraft View Post
No logging is a non-starter to me.

The ability to log all relevant channels during a dyno pull, then analyze the data relative to one another, makes it possible to really fine-tune the vehicle more efficiently and with a better result.

The $555 saved compared to an Infinity-506 is quickly offset by the additional $150 for an external Lambda controller, and tuning labor hours.
I agree the 5 series is a better choice if $ is less of an issue. Im sure you know this, but for the others that may not, you can log using a laptop with the Series 3(the same one you are probably tuning with) as you can with any Infinity, just not offline to USB.
Old 12-25-2016, 09:33 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #34 (permalink)
umop apisdn

it may not be commonly known that the Infinity control system can be customised if desired

The AEM firmware is comprehensive and very flexible out of the box, but the hardware can be reconfigured with a control system of your own design

EngineLab.net created the platform that AEM use and recently released not only their own version of the hardware, but made the control system freely available to all Infinity owners. https://enginelab.net/faqs/

Registering with enginelab and adding the AEM serial# to their system gets you started

I've been working with it for a little over 8 months now doing an Uber FrankenCIS EMS for my 928 with 997 electronics

www.FrankenCIS.com
Old 01-06-2017, 06:53 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #35 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: