Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Registered

Anyone install an AEM Infinity ECU for their EFI conversion??

I'm looking at the Infinity 6. Easy to program using VE, hi or low impedance injectors, 200MHz processor, closed loop wide band EGO , full sequential if desired, several engine protection strategies for knock, overboost, loss of sensor, lean condition, rpm,etc. Free tech support and lots of tuners available near me that work with it. I know TK uses AEM so that says a lot.

Old 07-01-2015, 07:37 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
930T Owner

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by boosted79 View Post
I'm looking at the Infinity 6. Easy to program using VE, hi or low impedance injectors, 200MHz processor, closed loop wide band EGO , full sequential if desired, several engine protection strategies for knock, overboost, loss of sensor, lean condition, rpm,etc. Free tech support and lots of tuners available near me that work with it. I know TK uses AEM so that says a lot.
TK is going to use the Infinity system in my new build on the car. The ECU is really nice and I have tuned it myself in the past. It certainly offers a lot of options the previous gen ecu's didn't offer. The one thing to consider, however, is the harness setup for the ecu is much more involved than using the older v.2 ECU's.

If you're interested in going that route I would certainly reach out to Chris @ TK.

- Chris.
Old 07-01-2015, 08:04 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
Registered

I'm working on it. I have an Infinity 6 and I'm gathering parts and sensors. It will go quicker if you want to donate to my TurboKraft intercooler fund.
Old 07-01-2015, 08:42 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
Mine just showed up today! (thanks Chris@TK!). It looks like a neat, tidy, high quality ECU.

It made total sense to use this instead of the older box, for sure. More features and the older version will no doubt be phased out at some point, probably soon.

Can't wait to get started, and will post on my DIY EFI conversion soon.
Old 07-01-2015, 11:09 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
Registered

Thanks for the input, I think that is the one to get. What I like about it is it will generate a base fuel map to get you running with just the engine and injector specs you enter and the VE table populated with a constant VE in all the cells. It is similar to how Electromotive does it but with up to date technology and way more capabilities. Willtel I will donate $1k to your TK intercooler fund if you donate $1.5k to my LN 3.4 nickies fund Garen, looking forward to your conversion thread.
Old 07-01-2015, 06:01 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
Registered

We've used the Infinity ECUs on a 996 4.1L Cup car, a 993TT GT2+ build, and will be using one on Hams' gorgeous 930 build as well as my '84 Turbo.

So far so good. Wiring is much more complicated, and software isn't as intuitive as on the Series-2 EMS. It is so versatile, able to integrate a number of failsafes -- and it's reasonably priced.

Only gripe is the harness connector coming out the top, not out the side which would have made it lower profile.
email: info@turbokraft.com
http://www.facebook.com/TurboKraft - http://www.instagram.com/TurboKraft
Old 07-07-2015, 10:38 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Registered

I want to use MAF instead of speed density. All you have to do is input the transfer function curve for the MAF sensor into the Infinity and you are done. The ECU then knows the mass air flow at all points and simply determines the pulse width based on the target lambda table you set up. This totally eliminates having to populate a VE table and any associated dyno time req'd to dial it in. In other words, you have an accurate fuel tune before initial start. Of course there are trim tables that will have to be massaged for cold start, warm start, etc. But to do it right the MAF sensor has to be installed between the IC and manifold so it sees the correct IAT, and you need a minimum straight run before and after the MAF sensor for accuracy so that will take some creative inlet tract plumbing.
Old 07-08-2015, 04:52 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)
Chain fence eating turbo

MAF is full of win. I really want to add that to my MS2.
Old 07-08-2015, 06:47 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)
Registered

Tippy - It depends on the availability and accuracy of the MAF sensor transfer function curve. Obtaining that curve can be a problem. I've looked for the curve for the Bosch 0280217809 used on the 993 turbos and have not found one yet. But I've found other domestic sensors that the curve is readily available for. GM uses frequency as an output and Ford uses volts. The AEM handles either.
Old 07-08-2015, 07:23 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)
Registered

Quote:
But to do it right the MAF sensor has to be installed between the IC and manifold so it sees the correct IAT, and you need a minimum straight run before and after the MAF sensor for accuracy so that will take some creative inlet tract plumbing.
This alone makes it sound like a PITA. It's already 10# of stuff in a 5# box. Rule of thumb you should have 1.5D distance on both sides of the MAF sensor for the air to be smooth and free of turbulence. For a 3" diam MAF tube, that means a 9" straight section; 10.5" for a MAF with D = 3.5".
There are some newer MAF sensors (allegedly) much less sensitive to turbulence which could shorten this tube length.
If you need a MAF and the data points (V) relative to airflow, here is one source: Promracing.com

Maybe the VE control on a MS3 is different and it would benefit from a MAF, but not the AEM Infinity. For someone going with an AEM Infinity box, I'd say try it yourself with the MAP sensor first. Large altitude differences, different atmospheric conditions -- no tuning or drivability problems to report so far.
Old 07-08-2015, 11:59 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)
Chain fence eating turbo

Quote:
Tippy - It depends on the availability and accuracy of the MAF sensor transfer function curve. Obtaining that curve can be a problem. I've looked for the curve for the Bosch 0280217809 used on the 993 turbos and have not found one yet. But I've found other domestic sensors that the curve is readily available for. GM uses frequency as an output and Ford uses volts. The AEM handles either.
Go aftermarket and I'm sure the data is there.
Old 07-08-2015, 12:12 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Registered

Or send your MAF in and you can get the output data.
Old 07-08-2015, 12:37 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)
Registered

Quote:
But to do it right the MAF sensor has to be installed between the IC and manifold so it sees the correct IAT, and you need a minimum straight run before and after the MAF sensor for accuracy so that will take some creative inlet tract plumbing.
Why?

Mass of air in = mass of air after turbo = mass of air after intercooler = mass of air out. You're not adding more anywhere, right? The air's density is changing, but not the mass. I think I may need help understanding this.

Why not run the MAF after the filter (pre-turbo), and add an additional IAT in the intake manifold?
Old 07-08-2015, 01:14 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)
Registered

I think the idea was because the MAF essentially integrates AirT functionality into it -- hotter air is less dense, vice versa.

Fewer sensors.

Like running a T-MAP sensor (combines AirT + MAP), or e-throttles (TPS + idle stabilizer in one, plus no linkage).
Old 07-08-2015, 01:24 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)
Chain fence eating turbo

I'll post a MAF link later.
Old 07-08-2015, 02:37 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)
Registered

Why?

Mass of air in = mass of air after turbo = mass of air after intercooler = mass of air out. You're not adding more anywhere, right? The air's density is changing, but not the mass. I think I may need help understanding this.

Why not run the MAF after the filter (pre-turbo), and add an additional IAT in the intake manifold?

No, mass/cf changes with temp. You want it too see the actual engine inlet temp. An add'l IAT with a correction to the MAF transfer curve may do it but that's one more possible error point. The MAF has to be downstream of the BOV also. Otherwise when the BOV opens with the throttle shut the ECU is going to fuel for whatever air is exiting the BOV and you'll have a rich mixture when the throttle opens. So the ideal set up from a control standpoint is BOV before the IC and MAF after the IC. But like Chris said it's more stuff to try to fit into an already tight space.
Old 07-08-2015, 04:01 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)
chargepipe

I installed the AEM infinity on my 85 Carrera. In addition I purchased a garret turbo from TK along with the headers from goingsuperfast.com It was a long haul and it is addicting as can be. Stock internals, running 8 psi boost. No MAF, just MAP, runs great.
Old 02-10-2016, 10:49 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)
Chain fence eating turbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tippy View Post
I'll post a MAF link later.
Oooops, forgot to reply to this.

I think this is the company a Pelicanite has used. These are "BLOW THROUGH" MAF's.

Best of both worlds:

http://www.pmas-maf.com/product-category/performance-mafs/blow-thru-style-mafs/
Old 02-10-2016, 11:40 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
Ive installed the AEM Infinity 8 on a variable valve timing quad cam engine and have another one sitting in the box to be installed on either the 73 or 74 911 (or both)

So far I have been super impressed with the system. Supports automatic compensation for E85, including timing, boost and fueling changes depending on the mix or E85.

Support for generic Bosch knock sensors. The guys tell me that they are very effective and the system allows full windowed tuning, including the ability to pull timing from a single cylinder or all cylinders.

At least for now, 2 wheel traction control is free of charge on the 6 and 8h. The 8 is 4 wheel traction control included. I have this implemented and its incredibly effective and fully tune-able. I have a dial that allows any wheel speed I desire, including full defeat.

Other features like throttle by wire, variable valve timing, switchable maps, USB logging and 1-2 channel wide-band controller built in depending on the model. etc.

Most important to me are the engine protection strategies These are incredibly useful with high cost engines like in our 911s.

(I posted these elsewhere on the forum)
A couple of examples:

You lose a bit of fuel pressure from a weak pump or partially plugged filter... the system will automatically adjust injector pw to compensate keeping your AF ratio spot on(up to the capacity of the fuel system and requires FP sensor)

Oil pressure dropping? Trigger a MIL, drop RPM limit to whatever you want, or shut the engine down.

You can program it to flash a MIL light during any of these occurrences in addition to notifying you of failed sensors etc.

The logging capabilities are crazy as well. How about 100 channels at 100hz if Im remembering correctly?

David

Old 02-10-2016, 04:01 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #20 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: