Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Technical BBS > 1- Porsche Technical Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
Need fuel mixture knowledge on 930 turbo ASAP!!

So I finally have my afr hooked up and the car is idling at 10.. so very rich if not richer. I have a fellow pelican here with a 964 who has experience with adjusting using the 3mm allen adjustment on the top of the fuel head. At this point we are not getting any feedback with any incremental turns. Even done larger full turns to lean it out with no success.

Have tried with pressing the adjustment thing down as well as not pressing it down always returning back to square 1 after not getting results..

Any tuning gurus out here to help now??

Thanks in advance.
'79 930 turbo RoW - Oak Green Metallic - k27-7200 - Kokeln Intercooler - RarlyL8 headers/muffler - Leask WuR - Tial 46mm - Rebel racing sphericals front/rear - ER Monoballs front/rear - ER adjustable spring plates - 29/23mm TBs - Wevo engine mounts - Rebel racing transmission mounts
'99 4Runner Sr5
Old 07-05-2015, 04:18 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Are you sure that you have a calibrated sensor?
Old 07-05-2015, 04:47 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

and what's your timing at? If you are running too retarded (not full retarded, NEVER got full retarded) the fuel will not have a chance to burn and might give a false rich indicator.
Old 07-05-2015, 04:52 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Garage
So heres where I'm at. When I pressed the adjustment thing all the way down it wouldnt turn. So I removed the airbox as well as the housing for the adjuster.. I inserted the allen wrench as you can see in the picture but it feels seized.. should or could i spray pb blaster in there to get it to turn??
'79 930 turbo RoW - Oak Green Metallic - k27-7200 - Kokeln Intercooler - RarlyL8 headers/muffler - Leask WuR - Tial 46mm - Rebel racing sphericals front/rear - ER Monoballs front/rear - ER adjustable spring plates - 29/23mm TBs - Wevo engine mounts - Rebel racing transmission mounts
'99 4Runner Sr5
Old 07-05-2015, 05:00 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

when you push the allen wrench down against the spring move it side to side -
there is a notch to engage
when you engage the notch tiny movements make a big AFR change at idle and across the rpm range

you must be seized , use some PB blaster like you said
Old 07-05-2015, 05:56 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
Tinkering Pays!!

Garage
you're missing something there: the adjustment sleeve which has the allen head on the top is missing???
Old 07-05-2015, 06:04 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Now Available for Ordering:   101 Projects For Your BMW 3 Series 1982-2000  [more info]
Tinkering Pays!!

Garage
After a little research, I see that some CIS don't have the spring loaded screw [like mine].

Here's a pic of something like what I have:
Old 07-05-2015, 06:14 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)
Crotchety Old Bastard

Garage
The housing for the adjustment screw has been removed (post #4).
With the engine off, are you able to push down on the adjuster and see the air meter plate move (is it free)? What is the history of this engine? Has it not been running for some time?
Old 07-05-2015, 06:21 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by RarlyL8 View Post
The housing for the adjustment screw has been removed (post #4).
With the engine off, are you able to push down on the adjuster and see the air meter plate move (is it free)? What is the history of this engine? Has it not been running for some time?
Yes, with the engine off I can see the meter plate move freely. I have sprayed a little pb blaster on it and was able to free the adjustment screw attached to the plate.
It doesn't move smoothly so letting it soak for the night before assembling everything back tomorrow.

I bought the car off a fellow pelican earlier this year and it hadn't been started in about a year when I got it.. but got it running a couple months back but never did any fuel adjustments until now since I just installed the afr this past week.
'99 4Runner Sr5
Old 07-05-2015, 07:07 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Black_Hat View Post
when you push the allen wrench down against the spring move it side to side -
there is a notch to engage
when you engage the notch tiny movements make a big AFR change at idle and across the rpm range

you must be seized , use some PB blaster like you said
Thanks! PB worked
'99 4Runner Sr5
Old 07-05-2015, 07:08 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Garage
Mine was very tight and took some teeth gritting to move it. Once it moves the rotation should be notchy.

I found too lean and too rich was less than a quarter of a turn apart.

Have you tested some other cars to verify the gauge is working on various levels?
Old 07-06-2015, 03:00 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)
Old car guy.....

Garage
I relate to the seized fuel mixture screw, I had to soak mine for a day before it would turn.
What is your CCP, WCP (cold & warm control pressure)? You should have CIS gages hooked up at this point.
If the pressure is too low your afr could be in the 10-11 range.
81 SC Euro WB, 930/51 Turbo 3.0l Bored & Stroked to 3.2l, Ported Polished Twin Plug heads, Ruf IC, K27 7006, Powerhaus headers, Zork, 009 inj, Alum inj blks, 044 pump, BLwur, Mocal Oil cooler, LM2, 930 4 sp LSD, 930 Brembo brakes, Retroair a/c, Euromeisters.....
2003 BMW Z4 Daily Driver & Autocross car.
Old 07-06-2015, 05:24 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot Euro View Post
I relate to the seized fuel mixture screw, I had to soak mine for a day before it would turn.
What is your CCP, WCP (cold & warm control pressure)? You should have CIS gages hooked up at this point.
If the pressure is too low your afr could be in the 10-11 range.

I think, as you have implied, that hooking up the gauges, and setting all the pressures to spec will give you a good starting point/baseline, then use your AFR gauge to fine tune.

tim
Old 07-06-2015, 06:41 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by timc View Post
I think, as you have implied, that hooking up the gauges, and setting all the pressures to spec will give you a good starting point/baseline, then use your AFR gauge to fine tune.

tim
I see. I don't have a CIS gauge hooked up at this point.. sounds like it should though

Thanks for your help!
'99 4Runner Sr5
Old 07-06-2015, 10:42 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JacobS911 View Post
I see. I don't have a CIS gauge hooked up at this point.. sounds like it should though

Thanks for your help!
Yes CIS gauges are helpful as is the AFR meter. What are your current AFRs at cruise and full boost?
Old 07-06-2015, 12:24 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaefer View Post
Yes CIS gauges are helpful as is the AFR meter. What are your current AFRs at cruise and full boost?
Cruise they were pretty low.. 10-11 I believe and full boost 11.8-12.5. It's rainy here today so not getting the car out tonight to mess with it unfortunately.

Hoping tomorrow I will be able to report back with good news on it
'99 4Runner Sr5
Old 07-06-2015, 02:21 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)

Has your WUR been modified to be easily adjustable?

My $0.02 - I would go messing with the idle adjuster just yet. It sounds like your WCP needs to be adjusted to raise cruise AFR which will also raise your idle AFR. After doing so your boost AFR will need to be richened up.

The first things I would check before making AFR adjustments:
- Make sure both fuel pumps are getting good voltage.
- Make sure the WUR is getting voltage.
- Make sure all vacuum lines are fresh.
- Make sure your intake piping from air filter to throttle body doesn't have any leaks.
Old 07-06-2015, 02:34 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)

Garage
Them thar be some seriously rich cruise numbers, Jacob, and getting lean on boost. Are you sure you don't have them reversed? I should be able to bring my CIS gauges over Friday evening when I'm back in town unless you no longer need them by then...

Last edited by nkowi; 07-06-2015 at 02:37 PM..
Old 07-06-2015, 02:35 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)

Now available:  101 Projects for Your Porsche Boxster!
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by nkowi View Post
Them thar be some seriously rich cruise numbers, Jacob, . . .
No doubt about that - much highway cruising with those numbers would have the back of the car so covered in unburnt-fuel/carbon splatter, that one would think that Paul had strafed it following a night spent binging on re-fried beans and tequila!!!
Old 07-06-2015, 03:24 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by nkowi View Post
Them thar be some seriously rich cruise numbers, Jacob, and getting lean on boost. Are you sure you don't have them reversed? I should be able to bring my CIS gauges over Friday evening when I'm back in town unless you no longer need them by then...
I'm sure I will still need them Friday Norm! I'll have it ready for whenever you have the time to swing by either Friday or the weekend.
'99 4Runner Sr5
Old 07-06-2015, 03:25 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #20 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: