Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Registered

Garage
Not twin plugged.

Yea, the zork sounds great! Even at the "rough" tune it's at now.

I need to get the tin back in around the back and over the turbo. It does get pretty hot back there.

Q: Do I need to open the plug gap at all? I'm pretty sure it's opened up a little more when I installed the MSD ignition.

Also, I noticed the AAR hose from the throttle body to the AAR was collapsed from vacuum once it fully closed after warmup. (at idle) Normal??

If it's nice tomorrow I'll get the GOPRO set up in the cockpit to watch the gauges and one on the rear bumper or on the rear window looking down at the motor.

Last edited by flat6pilot; 10-24-2015 at 09:57 PM..
Old 10-24-2015, 09:54 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #41 (permalink)

Garage
I opened the gaps on my plugs when I installed the MSD 6AL (before turbo install), but when I did the turbo install I was recommend by several people to go back to stock gap!
1980 SC Flatnose, Euro 3.0, LW Flywheel, 993 Cams, Port & Polish Heads, RS Cut Valves, Magnacor Leads, Boxster Brakes, WEVO Mounts, TRG Roll Bars, Rollcage, RSR rear fenders, WEVO Shifter, K27 7200 Turbo, OBX Headers, Tial Wastegate, Omex 710 ECU, 3.2 Intake, Full Bay Intercooler.....400HP
Old 10-25-2015, 08:11 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #42 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
More tuning

So I was out tuning the fuel map again today and made good progress. I mounted a couple of GOPro's on the car but found the interior shot was useless for what I wanted to do.

I didn't even mash it as I was getting nearly 10psi (should be a 7psi spring??) so I might need to confirm. I was afraid it might continue to climb so I backed off.

But I did get a cool flame shot on decel from it...

https://youtu.be/opWFLpE_l9g

Afterwards, I managed to cook the "coolant" sensor and it died on me. I had to get $90 tow home which of course ended my fun.

Holy s$%t it's fast!
Old 11-04-2015, 10:17 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #43 (permalink)
3 restos WIP = psycho

10 psi = 0.689475729 BAR

What coolant sensor you using?

Nice flames...I need to set a cam on mine. I was wondering if the stares and cars backing off when I was driving to SEATAC airport Sunday night were from Zork-y flames.

- 1965 911
- 1969 911S
- 1980 911SC Targa
- 1979 930

Last edited by kenikh; 11-04-2015 at 10:25 PM..
Old 11-04-2015, 10:23 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #44 (permalink)
Brando

Garage
That's pretty cool. I remember the days when .5 bar was crazy fast in my fresh turbo conversion. It is fast too but you'll get used to it. And you'll want more. The gt30r is great, it'll handle whatever you throw at it for now.
Are you running through a 915 still? I've recently swapped to 930 and love some of it and am sad about the loss of the excellent gear ratios in the 915. Though 1st gear is an almost useless gear I'd bet it's fun in your low boost car. But once you start raising the boost it'll have to go. But till then I'm jealous of your ratios. I miss them. It is however nice to cruise at 80+at 3k rpm.
Your car looks wicked. Nice job.
Old 11-04-2015, 10:40 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #45 (permalink)
3 restos WIP = psycho

^ I do like first gear in the 4sp 930. But everything else needs to get geared down. 80 @ 3K RPM is a joke.

- 1965 911
- 1969 911S
- 1980 911SC Targa
- 1979 930
Old 11-04-2015, 10:42 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #46 (permalink)

Brando

Garage
/\
I like the 4th gear until it's time to go. It doesn't do anything really till 70mph. But if you keep it planted it boogies till whatever. I still haven't been able to get over 4500 in 4th though. Ha, I used to redline 5th nearly every day in the 915.
Yes 1st gear is great in the 930. And second, and 3rd. But 4th........I'm still tryin.
Old 11-04-2015, 10:52 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #47 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by kenikh View Post
10 psi = 0.689475729 BAR

What coolant sensor you using?
Thats' what I need to find out. Anyone know the part number of the "coolant" sensor that came with the Bitz EFI kit??
Old 11-04-2015, 11:56 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #48 (permalink)
Crotchety Old Bastard

Garage
Nice!
Your car is going to be a handful when you're all done, and look good doing it!
The Zork, while adjustable, was designed to go under a valance. You don't have a valance installed so it hangs down a bit. The Outlaw system can adjust in the vertical plane as well if you want to tuck the pipe up under the bumper.
Old 11-05-2015, 04:50 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #49 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
I have most of the tuning video here: (At least some of the better parts)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uuE5injS4JQ

(I have it "unlisted" so let me know if you can't see it, I'll change to public.)

But, the cockpit video didn't come out as I wanted. It's mounted too far away on the roll bar. I had to zoom in which resulted in lower quality. I was in traffic quite a bit but there were a couple of good runs up to about 5000 or 5500 rpm. You can see the boost gauge on the center right pod. It's in psi. Straight up is about 7.5 psi. If you look carefully you can see it move up to about the 1 or 2 o'clock position which is roughly 10 psi. You may notice I'm not bringing all the way to redline and I also didn't just floor it at all. I was purposefully making smooth, but firm runs so I could carefully watch the AFR's and make adjustments to the table before I build up to full WOT throttle tests.

The display just above that is my "MS Droid" phone app. It's a tuning app for the Megasquirt system. You're seeing me adjust the VE table and sending it live as I drive. I don't recommend it but I don't always make good decisions...

Last edited by flat6pilot; 11-05-2015 at 09:01 AM..
Old 11-05-2015, 08:39 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #50 (permalink)
Registered

I have done more shameful street tuning than I care to admit.

Someday when have a 930 instead of a 930 shaped box of parts we will all have to do a local turbo gtg.
https://medium.com/@crashingdoor
Old 11-05-2015, 09:45 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #51 (permalink)
3 restos WIP = psycho

Nothing like the rush of doing third gear power pulls on I-5, hoping the cops don't pull you over for "reckless diagnosis". :P

To go with Shannon's OT tangent, here's the laundry list of names that come to mind:
  • flat6pilot (Kyle)
  • 16volt (Shannon)
  • kenikh (me)
  • Mark Houghton
  • pkabush (Paul)
  • cnielsen (Chris)
  • rswannabe (Brooke)
Anyone else???

- 1965 911
- 1969 911S
- 1980 911SC Targa
- 1979 930
Old 11-05-2015, 09:55 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #52 (permalink)

Garage
Looking good, love the flames, I godda get me some of them
1980 SC Flatnose, Euro 3.0, LW Flywheel, 993 Cams, Port & Polish Heads, RS Cut Valves, Magnacor Leads, Boxster Brakes, WEVO Mounts, TRG Roll Bars, Rollcage, RSR rear fenders, WEVO Shifter, K27 7200 Turbo, OBX Headers, Tial Wastegate, Omex 710 ECU, 3.2 Intake, Full Bay Intercooler.....400HP
Old 11-05-2015, 10:11 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #53 (permalink)

Garage
Ms droid, looks pretty cool. What devise is it for?

Thanks
www.stauningwhisky.dk
Old 11-07-2015, 10:51 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #54 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
With that stock compression, you can throw some E85 in the tank and turn up the pressure a bit more. Car sounds great, excellent job!
Old 11-07-2015, 03:35 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #55 (permalink)
3 restos WIP = psycho

E85? In Washington??? You'd have to drive off a full tank of gas just to fill the tank with e85, making you'd be empty before you got gone. Not to mention the work he'd need to do to ensure e85 didn't destroy his fuel system.

But you're in Bellingham. That is where I'm talking about. Lucky bastard.

- 1965 911
- 1969 911S
- 1980 911SC Targa
- 1979 930
Old 11-07-2015, 04:04 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #56 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsveb View Post
Ms droid, looks pretty cool. What devise is it for?

Thanks
It's for the Megasquirt system. I'll get better video footage of the cockpit and the MS droid app next time around. I had it waaay too far away for my GoPro to see it clearly.

Anyway, like a dumbass I didn't bring my laptop or any tools... the ONE time I leave everything at home! Serves me right I guess, lesson learned as I could have avoided a tow altogether. But leaving the car in a questionable area is what spooked me into just getting it out of there and home.

Once I got it in my garage, setting the Warmup Enrichment table on the Megasquirt system to 100 @ 0 degrees F, I could have started it and driven home. (The sensor read 0 when it failed.) So yes, it still runs fine. What it was doing was pumping way too much gas into the system because it thought it was too cold. I ordered a couple new coolant sensors from Tony Bitzanis, from Bitz Racing.

The failure had nothing to directly do with the turbo.

Yeah! I finally got to use my tow ring! I knew I didn't get it to be a poser....

Last edited by flat6pilot; 11-07-2015 at 04:49 PM..
Old 11-07-2015, 04:40 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #57 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
Megasquirt Experts?

Update:

So I'm having what seems to be some issues with the Megasquirt II system I have.

The current situation is: It's suddenly blowing a LOT of fuel through the system on startup. It no longer starts. Just spews fuel, a lot, out the tailpipe.

For a moment, assuming my setup file is correct, what other things could cause it to basically pour fuel into the cylinders? So bad it will hydrolock and won't turn over unless I unplug the Megasquirt to clear. Unless it HAS to be coming from a bad or corrupted file or even bad board of some sort.

Sequence of events:

* MSII 2.891 firmware using MegaTune. Car was running fine. Driven fine under this firmware.
* MSII 2.891 firmware using MegaTune. Lost Coolant Sensor (see photos above) and car died. Towed home.
* MSII 2.891 firmware using MegaTune. Set Warmup to 100% along entire temp scale. This worked and car started and I drove it on a couple of extended test runs. Car was running and test drove with no coolant temp sensor. Had a few "rich" bumps according to logfile. (WU enrichment went to 120% momentarily) Parked car and changed sparkplug gaps to .040 from .055.

* MSII 3.4.0 firmware installed using Tuner Studio. COOLANT TEMP recalibrated and sensor returned! Car began to start momentarily then died. Would not start after this.

* MSII 2.9.2 firmware installed using Tuner Studio. Still no start. Would crank but no life. Plugs were black.
* MSII 2.9.2 firmware. using Tuner Studio. Installed New plugs, cap and rotor. Seemingly started for a moment but discovered it had shot a LOT of fuel out the exhaust.

There is where I'm at. I'm going to reload the original MSII 2.891 firmware tonight but I'm not confident that's what it is. I'm suspicious the MSII firmware file or board has been damaged/corrupted. I've never had this issue when changing firmware files before. I've gone from MSI to MSII with a couple firmware changes and ended at 2.8.1 (The last one that worked under MegaTune)

I figured I might as well start getting opinions now.

Thanks for any future advice.

Last edited by flat6pilot; 12-09-2015 at 04:28 PM..
Old 12-09-2015, 10:06 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #58 (permalink)
I would rather be driving

close your plug gap up. Also check to make sure the resistor in the rotor between the center contact and outer tip is not blown due to overcurrent trying to bridge the gap. The MSD can overwhelm the noise suppression resistor in the rotor.

black plugs are likely an ignition problem. Is the system firing?

What does your datalog show for WUE%? Does your duty cycle and VE value match what should be in the table with the WUE% set to 100?

What do you have for IAT correction? The curve will depend on the sensor location. If you have IAT mounted in the engine bay you can run a flat curve. If you mount IAT in the intake tract you have to run a sloped correction curve. This is the best way to run for turbo application.

BTW, IF you set WUE to 100% (no extra fuel when cold) then your afterstart and cold cranking enrichment will not be set correctly and the car will be difficult to start.
classicautowerks.com - EFI conversion parts and suspension setups.

Last edited by jpnovak; 12-09-2015 at 10:46 AM..
Old 12-09-2015, 10:41 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #59 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
Thanks for the suggestions Jamie, below are my responses:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpnovak View Post
close your plug gap up. Also check to make sure the resistor in the rotor between the center contact and outer tip is not blown due to overcurrent trying to bridge the gap. The MSD can overwhelm the noise suppression resistor in the rotor.
The plugs, cap and rotor are brand new. Replaced just before my last start attempt last night when I blew fuel (a lot!) out the tailpipe. I set the gap back to the original .055 I had before this all happened. But I can close them down a bit. What do you suggest for the gap on the Bosch 911SC plugs Pelican sells?

black plugs are likely an ignition problem. Is the system firing?
Yes, it does appear to be firing. Once I dropped in new, clean plugs it tried to go but there was too much fuel.

Below here, I can't get this far as the car won't even start. My IAT is in the intercooler on the exit side nearest the throttle body.

What does your datalog show for WUE%? Does your duty cycle and VE value match what should be in the table with the WUE% set to 100?

What do you have for IAT correction? The curve will depend on the sensor location. If you have IAT mounted in the engine bay you can run a flat curve. If you mount IAT in the intake tract you have to run a sloped correction curve. This is the best way to run for turbo application.

BTW, IF you set WUE to 100% (no extra fuel when cold) then your afterstart and cold cranking enrichment will not be set correctly and the car will be difficult to start. I set the curve back to where it was originally since my Coolant Temp sensor came back and started reading.

Is there anything hardware related that would cause the injectors to just fire open?? It seems both banks (sides of the engine) are doing it as I smell strong gas fumes on the plugs when removed. Unless, there is something corrupted in the firmware now letting the injectors run wild. I will attempt to put everything back to the old working firmware I was using before this happened. Which was 2.891, MSII v3.0 board (blue mask).

Thanks

Last edited by flat6pilot; 12-09-2015 at 02:19 PM..
Old 12-09-2015, 02:16 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #60 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: