Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Quote:
Originally Posted by clutch-monkey View Post
most cars never hit open market now. people are paying ludicrous prices on cars before they ever get advertised online
Agree the prices here are mental and many cars sell by word of mouth.

I'm sorry Robby but I really pity the dude that bought this, I know it's your baby, but damn....

'18 C63S Coupe
Old 10-07-2015, 06:43 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #21 (permalink)
Banned

Nice you got your car completed there, Rob.

Not passing judgement on your work, but more as a stab in the direction of folks who say "stock is where it's at", butt I wonder if the new owner will un-do most of your hard work and return the car to stock form? It wouldn't surprise me given that your car is an early example and due to the seeming prevalence of non-creative, tube-steaks that are spending big money on these things.

PS - I am honored that my name appears fist in your post, but am upset that you removed the accolades you had given me in both your signature and below your screen name!!! If I remember correctly, said accolades had to do with a reference to female genitalia that starts with a "c"!

Last edited by Ronnie's.930; 10-07-2015 at 06:56 PM..
Old 10-07-2015, 06:49 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #22 (permalink)
Crotchety Old Bastard

Garage
Read what you wrote when you're awake or sober and you won't argue with our assessment of the thread. Also $108K is a LOT different than $150K. Adding the "AUS" would have made the story a bit more realistic.
So the late '77 3.0L came with an intercooler? Never seen that combo ever. I do have an intercooler sitting on the shelf with the date stamp of Sep '77 which I figured was right for a '78 as they start selling cars in the fall.
Old 10-07-2015, 06:52 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #23 (permalink)

Garage
I ran out of post space above so heres other pics of work done I haven't covered. yet

Under fenders I did in same colour as duco

This pic was before I matched the later model calipers

I hand textured primer paint on the metal then followed it with Arrow mixed with ceramic for toughness

I hand cut ignition leads from msd with the idea to use the boots from the berus but the length into the rockers were different, note if anyone is thinking of using them***(The cut your own MSD boots wont fit rocker height on 911 engines)

I removed fuel tank and cleaned it with apple cider vinegar it works wonders plus it leaves your luggage bay smelling like an orchard
I then coated with Cold Gal followed by Rustoleum Rubber based paint, I used this top coat so as to deflect any stones hitting it rather than embedding and scratching it where it my cause it to rust if the cold gal is penetrated.

all exposed wiring I covered with braid where I could to protect it, also I used ceramic paint on oil tank

Cam covers done in ceramic blue also, I used rtv silicone here the (red stuff) it withstands heat to 300deg, , I used no gaskets, the silicone holds against oil leaks well and a single tube of it goes a long way plus it is extremely easy to remove, you can peel it off like a bandaid when you want to replace it, just when you mate the surfaces u just need to make sure the surfaces are flat clean and smooth.

I used Black Wrinkle Paint on all areas that transfer, move heat including intercooler, Turbo Oilpan, to name a few.

I also ceramic painted the turbo inside and out, on the inside I smoothed it first with wire wheels then cutting wheels with chalk as compound then sprayed with ceramic then rubbed it smooth with wet and dry,I got this idea after a discussion we had here on Air flow and charge temps on the turbo.
This paint is rated to 1200 degrees CELSIUS so I doubt it will ever burn away hard to tell if I got extra hp but I do see a quicker spool up under boost on the stock 3ldz 0.8bar at 2800 -2900rpm which is slightly lower than stock form I think.
I will be giving a 1 bar spring with the car in case new owner wants to use it, I think that it would be safe as only 100ron octane is used in the car plus it has the lowest compression of the 930's at 6:8-1
note the Tial wg, I paid for a 46mm narrow head but was sent a standard diameter one, I rectified it by trimming down one side of the fins so it would fit next to the exhaust pipe. The Gold striping paint on wg exhaust is another special wishes touch of mine hehe

Least but not last the dreaded roof weld that I did myself against the advice of just about everyone here as even professionals get this job wrong, but for me it worked, i just took my time, I also think I was successful because I left the front window and frame all in place i didn't agree with others that said it needs to be removed first, the window and frame actually helped me to line it all up, the roof was the second biggest cost of this project next to the wheels at $500 i got it from a wrecked 1973RS so there is no sunroof its very light and maintains a low centre of gravity as it is no sunroof.

Well that's it I think, ill post the sale once done to entertain the guys that think im bull****tng, I really don't know why people wouldn't think a Euro Row 77 930 with no rust or accident damage and matching numbers isn't worth the money, but like I said everyone has an opinion and I respect that, I only sold this unfinished as it was because of my health cos my back is now completely shot from working under the car for so long, not a nice price to pay I really was having problems working on it , But I do hope everyone has a nice day and an even better drive. I will post bill of sale in a week not that I really should, I hope to be back in a 911 soon something cheaper newer and easier to maintain.
Old 10-07-2015, 06:58 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #24 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by RarlyL8 View Post
Read what you wrote when you're awake or sober and you won't argue with our assessment of the thread. Also $108K is a LOT different than $150K. Adding the "AUS" would have made the story a bit more realistic.
So the late '77 3.0L came with an intercooler? Never seen that combo ever. I do have an intercooler sitting on the shelf with the date stamp of Sep '77 which I figured was right for a '78 as they start selling cars in the fall.
Yeah i sourced some info on that, theres an old topgear magazine and youtube vid and another source i found that mentions they were actually introduced in late 77,
which opens up a can of worms as the engine configuration is completely changed by it as the low compression on the 3.0 mated with intercooler im thinking that's why they put a 1.5 bar boost guage only in the 1977 cars because there was more allowance with the addition of the IC?
History is really hard to find on the 3.0 with
your date on the intercooler is like my date on the headers too, my headers are dated sept 76, plus i have a hand throttle and i didn't think they were in the 77 cars, but it does show it in the manual,?,, lots of confusion on these cars, someone should get all the info together and write a book on them id buy a copy for sure.

$150k is a lot here, personally i see it as the same money..but i admit our dollar has fallen so much so i guess its not that much after conversion.. a few years ago we were on par with the US dollar 1 to 1.

also note re:77 cars i showed the suspension and brake setup on this car to Sydney Porsche mechanic and the type of welds used are the same drippy type factory welds used in manufacture , so this has 1978 brakes and suspension, i guess they were running out of 77 brakes or maybe parts from next models crossed over onto a 77 chassis? who knows what happens on the assembly line on the day.
Old 10-07-2015, 07:10 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #25 (permalink)
Registered

Robby, I'd be interested in seeing photos of the roof installation/welding. Given that this was the highlight of your build I figure your collection of 2,500 photos must include some of that process.

Last edited by Norm K; 10-07-2015 at 07:17 PM..
Old 10-07-2015, 07:15 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #26 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronnie's.930 View Post
Nice you got your car completed there, Rob.

Not passing judgement on your work, but more as a stab in the direction of folks who say "stock is where it's at", butt I wonder if the new owner will un-do most of your hard work and return the car to stock form? It wouldn't surprise me given that your car is an early example and due to the seeming prevalence of non-creative, tube-steaks that are spending big money on these things.

PS - I am honored that my name appears fist in your post, but am upset that you removed the accolades you had given me in both your signature and below your screen name!!! If I remember correctly, said accolades had to do with a reference to female genitalia that starts with a "c"!
Really no harm intended i was peed off, its just passion i guess (not in a pooftie way)
But,
The new owner will be reverting all my hard work yes.
Its why a part of me is thinking of bailing out because original color is Copper Brown Metallic
I wish people would appreciate the car for what it is and not for what someone else thinks it is cos that's how it is and that's really a shame, because the few original cars are setting new prices for all the aircooled cars, and made it harder to buy even an sc which i am thinking of buying but an sc here now is up to $90000 i couldn't believe it.
another argument is also why bother to spend all the money to make it original when so few were made anyway? its not as if buyers can shop around and choose the one they like cos there just isn't many matching number cars and that's more important than correct paint in my view.
Old 10-07-2015, 07:22 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #27 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Norm K View Post
Robby, I'd be interested in seeing photos of the roof installation/welding. Given that this was the highlight of your build I figure your collection of 2,500 photos must include some of that process.
Will do stay tuned ill post them tonight, its lunchtime here atm
Old 10-07-2015, 07:24 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #28 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbbyg View Post
Really no harm intended i was peed off, its just passion i guess (not in a pooftie way)
But,
The new owner will be reverting all my hard work yes.
Its why a part of me is thinking of bailing out because original color is Copper Brown Metallic
I wish people would appreciate the car for what it is and not for what someone else thinks it is cos that's how it is and that's really a shame, because the few original cars are setting new prices for all the aircooled cars, and made it harder to buy even an sc which i am thinking of buying but an sc here now is up to $90000 i couldn't believe it.
another argument is also why bother to spend all the money to make it original when so few were made anyway? its not as if buyers can shop around and choose the one they like cos there just isn't many matching number cars and that's more important than correct paint in my view.

Robby, I was not in the least bit offended by the "c" commentary and only brought it up here because I thought it was funny. I sling so much feces on here (not just to you), that the last thing I would do is get miffed when some comes my way. Hell, it doesn't even really upset me when Rich lets his imagination get the better of him and starts talking crazy (an inside story that you probably aren't familiar with)!

The whole "stock" thing is a subject that makes no sense to me whatsoever. I don't understand how anyone would think that a 930/911 Turbo, or any car for that matter, is preferable to own in its "as delivered", extremely neutered state. But as others have pointed out in other threads, those type guys don't care about vehicle performance or honoring the spirit and intent of a high performance machine (poofties one and all, in other words!!!).

Last edited by Ronnie's.930; 10-07-2015 at 07:53 PM..
Old 10-07-2015, 07:51 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #29 (permalink)
Wer bremst verliert

Is this the same car that was a cab and has its roof jb welded on?
1978 911 3.0 Lichtbau toy "Gretchen"
1971 911 Targa S backroad toy
Old 10-08-2015, 01:14 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #30 (permalink)
Bad LT

Yep.
Old 10-09-2015, 11:56 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #31 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by RarlyL8 View Post
We start selling cars in the fall, in Germany model years change at years end. Thus, late production cars for Europe may have had inter coolers.
Old 10-10-2015, 11:47 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #32 (permalink)

Registered

Garage
Kool-aid

I'm not drinking the cool-aid on this one unless someone can produce some factory documentation.

The 1977 to 1978 model change was dramatic. Intercooler, brakes, tail, distributor?, tachometer, engine displacement, etc. I find it hard to believe that the factory would pick two or three next model year up grades and stick them on a 1977 model; makes no sense.

Rahl
Old 10-10-2015, 05:21 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #33 (permalink)
Make America Great Again!

Robby has been generous with his time trying to explain his process. He's an artist foremost. I've known excellent mechanics with the same characteristics as Robby and they always get the job done, and in excellent fashion. They just take an inordinate amount of time to complete the most simple task. Robby tackled some serious stuff here, welding, painting, gathering parts and did it as quick as any artist/ mechanic I've ever met. We should be applauding him.
Old 10-10-2015, 05:44 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #34 (permalink)
Bad LT

I’ll come right out and call B.S at sale price.

There I said it.
Old 10-11-2015, 01:08 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #35 (permalink)
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Gas View Post
Robby has been generous with his time trying to explain his process. He's an artist foremost. I've known excellent mechanics with the same characteristics as Robby and they always get the job done, and in excellent fashion. They just take an inordinate amount of time to complete the most simple task. Robby tackled some serious stuff here, welding, painting, gathering parts and did it as quick as any artist/ mechanic I've ever met. We should be applauding him.

This car should not in anyway be confused with this build

Kustom Coach Werks • View topic - Rusty's 356 Money Pits

Will try - can do...aren't the same

Last edited by micheloaks; 10-11-2015 at 01:17 PM..
Old 10-11-2015, 01:13 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #36 (permalink)
Early rise, empty road

Garage
Well, that's 5 minutes of my life that I'll never get back.
Old 10-11-2015, 05:27 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #37 (permalink)
Make America Great Again!

Ok...I want a 356... Very nice build, but I would have used the natural leather hood straps. Very cool indeed.
Old 10-11-2015, 11:05 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #38 (permalink)
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norm K View Post
Norm thought idhelp Robby out and save him some time ...2500 pics is a lot to sort..

Old 10-11-2015, 01:25 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #39 (permalink)
Brando

Garage

Old 10-11-2015, 02:00 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #40 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: