Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
79 930 with RUF 5 speed not going in to 1st gear

Hi guys I need your help. I have a 79 930 with a RUF 5 speed, I did a nice country drive about 200 miles with a with a bunch of other cars. At the end of the day I did a 2nd gear turbo blast up to about 6000 rpms. dumb ass I am, now it wont go into 1st gear. The shifter is moving freely any ideas or is the trans coming out?

Old 10-11-2015, 12:12 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Check the coupler in between the rear seats.

Sent from my "Driving Shoe Phone"

Instagram / UberPorsche930
Old 10-11-2015, 12:27 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Garage
Yea the coupler is tight, reverse is to the left and up no problem. 2 thru 5 to the right no problem 1st to the left and down brick wall even with the car rolling it won't go in to 1st
Old 10-11-2015, 12:43 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
Brando

Garage
Your sure it's a ruf? Sounds exactly like my trans issue I had once when I broke second gear in a 915. Tell me, did you hear anything? For me it had a loud bang and rather dramatic grind.
Btw it's not bad to do a full throttle romp. That's what the car is for.
Old 10-11-2015, 01:07 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Garage
yea it has ruf stamped all over it, I stepped hard on it in 2nd wound it up to 6k, backed off came to a stop and now I can't get it in to 1st
Old 10-11-2015, 01:17 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Sure the coupler hasn't moved?

Old 10-11-2015, 02:00 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Brando

Garage
Was the event accompanied with a sound?
I've had the gearbox stick in a similar way before. I had to shock the drivetrain with a jolt of on/off throttle application to get it to release. But the shifter didn't not have freedom of movement. It was just stuck in gear.
Old 10-11-2015, 02:03 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Garage
the coupler is tight, 5 out of 6 gears slide right in. When I try to get in to 1st it go's almost half way but won't slide in.

Old 10-11-2015, 04:18 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)
Brando

Garage
Was there a pop or bang?
Was their a sound indicating something happened? Sounds like a gear or slider broken. But I can't believe it would with out sound or feel.
Old 10-11-2015, 04:28 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Garage
The car is loud when it's revving that high under boost but I didn't hear anything pop or bang
Old 10-11-2015, 04:31 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by fstarr56 View Post
it go's almost half way but won't slide in.
Ohhhhh lordy . . . must resist!!!!

PS - I wonder if fstarr is an alter ego for Brandon?!?!?!
Old 10-11-2015, 04:43 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

If the shift coupler slid forward or backward on the splined shaft it might be the problem. With a 4 speed the bottom half of the original type shift rod should be near straight up for and aft wise while in nuetral.

The folded over edge of the rubber boot fits snug on to the flange in the chassis behind it so water and stuff can't get into the center tunnel. In your picture it's not on it or maybe you just pulled it off while looking around in there.
Old 10-11-2015, 04:44 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Garage
if the coupler slid forward 1,3 and 5 would have the same problem right? 3 and 5 slide right in. 1st feels like it's maybe hitting the top of the gear but not meshing. If I try and force it the shifter itself starts to bend if that makes sense. Yes I pulled the boot back.
Old 10-11-2015, 05:03 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

Do you have second but not first but you were in second when it happened? I remember the first gear which is a 924 gear was the weak link in those trannys. I hate to hear this as I just bought a Ruf 5 speed. Certainly interested to see what you find and good luck.

Old 10-11-2015, 05:09 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

Garage
Yep I limped home starting out in 2nd, smell the clutch but couldn't get it in to 1st even with the car rolling a bit
Old 10-11-2015, 05:15 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)

Quote:
if the coupler slid forward 1,3 and 5 would have the same problem right? 3 and 5 slide right in. 1st feels like it's maybe hitting the top of the gear but not meshing. If I try and force it the shifter itself starts to bend if that makes sense. Yes I pulled the boot back.
I don't know. I've noticed small adjustments to the shift coupler position on the splined shaft changes shifter feel a lot with the 4 speed. Getting on it hard while in gear shouldn't do any harm to the transmission.
I don't have any experience with the RUF 5 speed transaxle you have either.
Old 10-11-2015, 05:16 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)

Garage
It can't hurt to try adjusting things before I pull the whole damn thing out
Old 10-11-2015, 05:21 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)

There is an expert transmission rebuilder just over the border near Toronto. Genuine guy with all kinds of factory experience and know how if you need someone. Jay Lloyds at Lloyds Klassix.

Old 10-11-2015, 05:25 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)
Brando

Garage
Quote:
It can't hurt to try adjusting things before I pull the whole damn thing out
I agree. Just start screwing with it.
Old 10-11-2015, 05:36 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ELZ's930 View Post
There is an expert transmission rebuilder just over the border near Toronto. Genuine guy with all kinds of factory experience and know how if you need someone. Jay Lloyds at Lloyds Klassix.

Thanks for the tip I'll call them Monday am
Old 10-11-2015, 05:40 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #20 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: