Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
Hargett Vs Wevo shifter upgrade???

Any opinion's or recommendations. Its for a 85 Carrera track/street hotrod

HPP Pro 915 Shifter - Pro Shifters - Porsche Shifters - Porsche Products HPP

http://www.wevo.com/Products/ShifterProducts/WevoShifterProducts_Shifter-915All.htm

Last edited by hobie911; 12-16-2015 at 05:04 PM..
Old 12-16-2015, 05:01 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Garage
This is also a matter of usage. The Hargett makes the parking brake almost completely useless. Heard good stuff about both but the fact the hargett almost eliminates the use of handbrake at original position makes the wevo the choice for me. A streetracer, not a trackmonster. IMHHO
Porsche 930 `79 #973
Old 12-16-2015, 06:11 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
Me like track days

I had a wevo shifter on a 915 gearbox, & I have one on the G 50 gearbox on the 930 as well. I can't imagine anything being any better
Old 12-16-2015, 06:39 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
930T Owner

Garage
I really like the Wevo but have only one comment. I am 6'2". With my seat position I feel I am a little far away from the shifter. I wish it were canted back more towards me. If you are shorter I don't think this would be an issue.

- Chris.
2016 Cayman GT4
2012 911 Cup
Old 12-16-2015, 07:35 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Garage
+1 on the wevo
88 930 3.4 ,Twin plugged billet Xtreme cylinder heads and denso COPs, Dougherty custom GT 2 evo cams,pauter rods,Garrett Gt40,ms3x Efi ,1100cc injectors,extrude honed 3.2 intake,TK billet fullbay I/C,MODE headers,KEP stage 2,E-85 706 rwhp
Old 12-17-2015, 01:05 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

I like the Wevo in my car.
Old 12-17-2015, 03:37 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

To the OP, I've also read good things about the RennShift (JWest Engineerinng). I have NO experience with and was not even sure it is on your radar. Just typing out loud.
Old 12-17-2015, 03:56 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

hmmm.... could not find the eating popcorn emoticon.

I'll be watching this. leaning toward WEVO but I like the idea of the shifter being up closer as with the Hargett. and looking forward to feedback on other shifters.
86 944 turbo my new DE/track car.
78 930 clone project car.
Old 12-17-2015, 06:11 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)
aka 'vageen'

Garage
I have a Hargett that I have yet to install. Hargett = no e-brake.

I am going to try to keep the E-Brake under the Hargett but it doent look like a great solution.

Yoosta have: 90 C4 Targa, 87 944, 73 911 ChumpCar endurance racer - featured in May-June & July-Aug 2016 Classic Porsche

Last edited by unclebilly; 12-17-2015 at 06:38 AM..
Old 12-17-2015, 06:35 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)
beancounter

I had Wevo in my 930...awesome. I have Hargett in my 911 SC based race car...awesome. The postioning of the Hargett lever is very nice IMO. The feel is very very precise, moreso than the Wevo was in the 930, but the gearboxes are not the same of course. I also ran the stock shift coupler in the 930, so one of the aftermarket couplers would surely tighten things up. With the Hargett you run their U-joint shaft and linkages. Obviously e-brake not an issue for race car.
Old 12-17-2015, 06:56 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Garage
Wevo with the coupler.

Last edited by Les Paul; 12-17-2015 at 07:08 AM..
Old 12-17-2015, 07:06 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)
Large Member

Garage
I LOVE Hargett's shifter placement up near the wheel and the action is great, but for anything save a full race car I think it's pretty absurd looking and the no ebrake or kluge'd ebrake is a no-go for me.

Agreed w/ Chris on the Wevo... I'm only 6' but I went with Wevo's TALL shifter (note: not their long knob, ala Ronknees' fave go-to!), which does mitigate the distance factor at least some.

Also went Classic shifter as I wasn't a fan of the "angle-iron" look. And went with their SL knob, which is fookin FANTABUTASTIC. Amazing to look at, amazing feel. Great precision. Work of art.

Definitely also do their PSJ for the rear coupler, and the shifter comes with new bushings for upfront. Bob's yer uncle!

The adjustable pre-load is a great feature, I'm not a huge fan of sprung shifters in 911s - being able to adjust out all but a fraction of the spring rate was nice. Affords precise shifting. My car shifts amazingly now, whereas prior to install I was convinced I needed a transmission rebuild!

HTH / YMMV.

| '01 ///M5 | '96 993 C2 cab | '05 S600 Sport - biturbo V12@Just Not Right 495rwhp / 612rwtq |
| '58 TR3A | '01 //S8 | '95 //S6 6gang | '88 ///M5 | '87 190E 2.3-16 |

Last edited by krasuskyp; 12-17-2015 at 07:10 AM..
Old 12-17-2015, 07:08 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)
930T Owner

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by krasuskyp View Post
I LOVE Hargett's shifter placement up near the wheel and the action is great, but for anything save a full race car I think it's pretty absurd looking and the no ebrake or kluge'd ebrake is a no-go for me.

Agreed w/ Chris on the Wevo... I'm only 6' but I went with Wevo's TALL shifter (note: not their long knob, ala Ronknees' fave go-to!), which does mitigate the distance factor at least some.

Also went Classic shifter as I wasn't a fan of the "angle-iron" look. And went with their SL knob, which is fookin FANTABUTASTIC. Amazing to look at, amazing feel. Great precision. Work of art.

Definitely also do their PSJ for the rear coupler, and the shifter comes with new bushings for upfront. Bob's yer uncle!

The adjustable pre-load is a great feature, I'm not a huge fan of sprung shifters in 911s - being able to adjust out all but a fraction of the spring rate was nice. Affords precise shifting. My car shifts amazingly now, whereas prior to install I was convinced I needed a transmission rebuild!

HTH / YMMV.
Hey Paul; you drive with your head tilted to the left?!!? hah!

Seriously though.. I am going back to WEVO with the new motor and the G50 going into my car. One thing I asked Chris @ TK to do is modify the shift rod to set my neutral position on the gate further to the rear of the car. That way the shifter doesn't feel so far away from me with my preferred seating position. I used to set my seat 2 clicks further toward the dash than I would normally so that I had a more comfortable shifting position. I always felt the 2-3 upshift was ridiculously far away. The WEVO, IMO is the best all-around setup for a street car that offers good gate feel and a level of precision you will never get from the stock setup.

Like Paul said - spend the money to get WEVO's "PSJ" as it will add more precision to the linkage. When you pull out the stock shift joint you'll be surprised how much slop there is...

- Chris.
2016 Cayman GT4
2012 911 Cup
Old 12-17-2015, 07:51 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hams930T View Post
I really like the Wevo but have only one comment. I am 6'2". With my seat position I feel I am a little far away from the shifter. I wish it were canted back more towards me. If you are shorter I don't think this would be an issue.

- Chris.
Ditto that, but still I'm quite happy with my Wevo. Might consider installing the taller shift nob. My only less-than-perfect comment is that it rattles a little bit but stops with just the slightest lateral pressure. I can live with that.
Mark H. 1987 930, GP White, Wevo shifter, Borla exhaust, stock everything else. The result of a massive Pelicanite good will fire recovery effort. Truely an open book, ready for the slippery slopes to modification.
Old 12-17-2015, 12:12 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

Garage
Mark I have a rattle also which I found in the fancy coupling. Wouldn't think that would do that, but it scarred hell out of me as it sounds like detonation til I located it..seems most pronounced in 2nd
88 930 3.4 ,Twin plugged billet Xtreme cylinder heads and denso COPs, Dougherty custom GT 2 evo cams,pauter rods,Garrett Gt40,ms3x Efi ,1100cc injectors,extrude honed 3.2 intake,TK billet fullbay I/C,MODE headers,KEP stage 2,E-85 706 rwhp
Old 12-17-2015, 03:20 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hams930T View Post
Hey Paul; you drive with your head tilted to the left?!!? hah!

- Chris.
Hey Chris, you can see the pic Paul posted above (presumably of his errrr, "knob")? Like with all of his recent posts, I can only see a small, cartoon cloud & tree icon thing (no pic) - not with google chrome, IE or any other browser.

Not that I actually want to see Paul's wee knobbin, however!!!

Last edited by Ronnie's.930; 12-17-2015 at 05:33 PM..
Old 12-17-2015, 03:36 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)

hargett shifter

Hi all can the park brake be relocated of modified to still use with the Hargett shifter.. has anyone achieved this..
Old 12-17-2015, 04:35 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)

Garage
Thanks to all for the fantastic input. I being almost 6'3'' the hag has my eye, and this car being a full on race car that i'm turning into or back into a street car who gives a flying f for normalcy also who needs a fuking ebreak in flat ass florida!!!
sorry on #5 rum drink
Old 12-17-2015, 05:19 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by hobie911 View Post
Thanks to all for the fantastic input. I being almost 6'3'' the hag has my eye, and this car being a full on race car that i'm turning into or back into a street car who gives a flying f for normalcy also who needs a fuking ebreak in flat ass florida!!!
sorry on #5 rum drink
This..... THis i like. LOVe Have fun dude! I would get the Hargett if ebrake wa sno issue. I need it so i`m going with the wevo Hargett looks badass though compared to the wevo that i feel is missing something. JMHO
Porsche 930 `79 #973
Old 12-17-2015, 05:56 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by hobie911 View Post
sorry on #5 rum drink
Well that's cool, rum drinks and all! Choose what's best for your application. I just got back from dinner with my dear old mom, where after a pre-functional bottle of fine red we sucked down more than one Margarita in celebration of my 6'2' height, and coincidentally my focking 62nd year on this earth. Still able to hook 'em up with the best of youze!
Mark H. 1987 930, GP White, Wevo shifter, Borla exhaust, stock everything else. The result of a massive Pelicanite good will fire recovery effort. Truely an open book, ready for the slippery slopes to modification.
Old 12-17-2015, 06:31 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #20 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: