Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
How Long To Remove Turbo?

Hi all - fairly new to 911 repair. I have a 930 and the turbo bearings are worn and leaking oil into the exhaust. That said I need to remove the turbo and send it in for a rebuild. It is an 89 930 stock so pretty sure it is the newer K27 turbo.

Any idea how involved the removal is? It is tucked up there pretty tightly. How much of the exhaust system needs to be removed? Wastegate? Approximate time to do the removal and install? I'm just trying to gauge if I should undertake the project or have a professional do it.

One other thing I noticed is that the belt is gone from the air blower for the exhaust. I don't need to meet any emission requirements so not sure if it is needed for proper operation of the engine.

Thanks!!

Old 05-17-2016, 09:24 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Mighty Meatlocker Turbo

If the turbocharger is stock, then it is a 3ldz (regardless, the removal and installation is the same, even if a K27 has been installed by a previous owner).

The removal and install of the turbo is very difficult for a novice mechanic, primarily because all of the fasteners will be heat and corrosion damaged beyond belief (some will likely break in the process), and the tight space means that a conventional wrench or ratchet won't work on at least one of the nuts that fastens the muffler/cat to the turbine housing (have to modify a wrench in order to make it work).

As far as what is removed - entire muffler and cat assembly (since your car is stock, I assume it still has the cat in place), turbocharger oil supply pipe/hose, turbocharger drip tank, intercooler, up pipe from the turbo compressor outlet, air intake coupler/hose from compressor inlet. The wastgate does not need to be removed. It's difficult to estimate time involved since that is based on your skill level and the condition of the associated nuts and studs, but by no means a quick job.

Having the air pump belt disconnected is a good thing - the air injection system raises exhaust manifold temperatures in order to help burn hydrocarbons, and thus, accelerates wear and tear on the components.

Last edited by Rawknees'Turbo; 05-17-2016 at 09:44 AM..
Old 05-17-2016, 09:41 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
gearhead

I don't know the answer but I would put this in the 930 forum. There's a bunch of 930 guys who don't come post down here in 911 Tech.
2008 Cayman S Mule
Old 05-17-2016, 09:42 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
Registered

Since it's your first time, consider spending a half-hour or so and remove the rear valance, bumper and heat shield. The working space you create will more than likely save you considerably more time than it'll take you to R&R the bumper and will make for a much simpler job.
By United States Marines.
Old 05-17-2016, 01:17 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norm K View Post
Since it's your first time, consider spending a half-hour or so and remove the rear valance, bumper and heat shield. The working space you create will more than likely save you considerably more time than it'll take you to R&R the bumper and will make for a much simpler job.
Yep, it's worth the little time spent to gain easier access. This is not an insurmountable thing....just some patience is needed. Mr. Rock Nees gave good in-depth detail. The four nuts mounting the turbo can be a frozen beetch and at least one is a baastard to reach, not to mention the oil feel line at the top of the turbo. Do it yourself if you have the tools and patience, improvise where needed.

All easy for me to say...since I'm still dragging my feet about swapping out my stock 3LDZ for either the 7200 or 7006 I have sitting on the shelf. Alcohol helps during the process to dampen the negative attitude.
Mark H. 1987 930, GP White, Wevo shifter, Borla exhaust, stock everything else. The result of a massive Pelicanite good will fire recovery effort. Truely an open book, ready for the slippery slopes to modification.
Old 05-17-2016, 06:30 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
Mighty Meatlocker Turbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark houghton View Post
...since I'm still dragging my feet about swapping out my stock 3LDZ for either the 7200 or 7006 I have sitting on the shelf. . .
Here's some inspiration for you, Mark!

Old 05-17-2016, 07:41 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Registered

Quote:
Yep, it's worth the little time spent to gain easier access. This is not an insurmountable thing....just some patience is needed. Mr. Rock Nees gave good in-depth detail. The four nuts mounting the turbo can be a frozen beetch and at least one is a baastard to reach, not to mention the oil feel line at the top of the turbo. Do it yourself if you have the tools and patience, improvise where needed.

All easy for me to say...since I'm still dragging my feet about swapping out my stock 3LDZ for either the 7200 or 7006 I have sitting on the shelf. Alcohol helps during the process to dampen the negative attitude.
7200 I felt was much better than my 7006(when I had them)...boost came on much sooner
Old 05-17-2016, 07:49 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)
Registered

To the OP...do it yourself if you have the space as well as the tools. If you can buy some literature before you attempt the removal, that may help as well...heck if I did mine with no skills whatsoever ....anyone with a little common sense can do it...just work safely...oh and make sure no young children are around...as you will be using plenty of choice words to express your mood......i.e. f*#k,s*#+,motherf..beeeep...
Old 05-17-2016, 07:59 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:

With all due respect. I believe you owe it to one of our old members to get that swap done, drive it like you stole, and then report back.

Just trying to motivate. Stop by my house and I'll provide the spirits.
www.stauningwhisky.dk
Old 05-18-2016, 07:20 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by blichjr View Post
Hi all - fairly new to 911 repair. I have a 930 and the turbo bearings are worn and leaking oil into the exhaust. That said I need to remove the turbo and send it in for a rebuild. It is an 89 930 stock so pretty sure it is the newer K27 turbo.

Any idea how involved the removal is? It is tucked up there pretty tightly. How much of the exhaust system needs to be removed? Wastegate? Approximate time to do the removal and install? I'm just trying to gauge if I should undertake the project or have a professional do it.

One other thing I noticed is that the belt is gone from the air blower for the exhaust. I don't need to meet any emission requirements so not sure if it is needed for proper operation of the engine.

Thanks!!
If you had started the removal process when you originally posted this, you would be done by now. ;P Seriously tho, its not super hard if you know how to turn a wrench and take lots of pictures. Old worn fasteners will be the biggest problem/delay. I'd plan to replace them all while you're at it. I recently installed new muffler and went with new muffler mounting bolts with smaller diameter 14mm flange head nuts on a allen head bolt for easier access/options on removal.
1975 Carrera / 965 tribute w/ 1989 3.3 turbo 8.5:1, custom Evergreen K27 7200, 964 cams, euro CIS, TEC1 dual plug, rarlyL8 headers & hooligan pipe. 915/68 trans, kevlar clutch and lightweight pressure plate.
Old 05-18-2016, 08:14 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Garage
+1 REMOVE THE BUMPER!!!!!

You will thank me later. makes it a 30 minute job. I have had my turbos off and on about a dozen times.
Old 05-18-2016, 03:45 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by blichjr View Post

Thanks!!
I just removed my turbo for the first time just last week.
I actually made a little video of the process: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=im3ggbARZVQ
You have to remove the exhaust then disconnect the oil inlet, oil drain, charge pipe to the intercooler, intake hose, and unbolt it from the exhaust headers, if I recall. Don't have to worry about the wastegate.
Took around 3 hours because the turbo nuts were seized and I had to split them with a chisel... without that it wouldn't take long at all. I removed the rear valance and think it was well worth the 25 minutes tops it took.
Best of luck!
Old 05-18-2016, 05:58 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Garage
Thanks so much all! Sorry for my LATE reply but was on several business trips and was out of the country. Fortunately I am an avid homebrewer so there will be a moderate amount of liquid courage at my side. And for the tools? I have piles but I really don't need much encouragement to buy more! Definitely removing the bumper - even if it takes longer it will generate a lot less swearing.

Will report back when I'm done. Thanks Farintosh for the video!!
Old 07-10-2016, 09:22 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

Garage
Several business trips between parts arrivals etc. Also added a RarlyL8 muffler (street) and the guys there were great to deal with. I took my time doing the R&R and removing the bumper was an IMMENSE help. Super easy to access everything. All bolted up pretty smoothly. Had some trouble positioning the boost outlet due to a warped J-pipe but I loosened the bolts and it pulled into position just fine. Turbo mounting bolt hole changes were pretty easy too. Love the broader band of the K27 and the sound of the muffler is pretty awesome.

Thanks all!!

Old 08-20-2016, 03:07 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: