Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > 1- Porsche Technical Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Rey's "special package" arrived today, so I installed the heat shield and I'm good to go!

Big thanks to Rey for hobbling down to the post office and sending me some of his heat shield and refusing to take a dime even to cover shipping. It's people like Rey that make this forum so great!

Old 05-26-2016, 12:46 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #41 (permalink)
Mighty Meatlocker Turbo

Jeff, nice score on Rey's errrrrr, special package!!!
Old 05-26-2016, 01:03 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #42 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rawknees'Turbo View Post
Jeff, nice score on Rey's errrrrr, special package!!!
That line was my gift to you.
Old 05-26-2016, 04:44 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #43 (permalink)
Mighty Meatlocker Turbo

^^^

I'm sure that Rey will be glad to see that his spirit of giving has rubbed off on you, Jeff!!!
Old 05-26-2016, 05:11 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #44 (permalink)

Jeff glad to see it worked out...that's what this forum is about
Rawknees your humor is "bonding"....lol...btw where's Mr. Paul lately...is he on time out
Old 05-26-2016, 05:18 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #45 (permalink)
Mighty Meatlocker Turbo

^^^

He's fine - locked safely away . . . in the back of my box truck (same with Norm)!

Last edited by Rawknees'Turbo; 05-26-2016 at 08:09 PM.. Reason: Clarification of Paul's and Norm's whereabouts!
Old 05-26-2016, 05:22 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #46 (permalink)

Alternate sensor location

Just for the collective knowledge pool, here's where I had installed mine "back then". Long enough tail pipe didn't result in any significant ambient O2 from affecting the readings, plus greatly extends the life of the WB sensors which don't like the heat.

Mark H. 1987 930, GP White, Wevo shifter, Borla exhaust, stock everything else. The result of a massive Pelicanite good will fire recovery effort. Truely an open book, ready for the slippery slopes to modification.
Old 05-26-2016, 05:55 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #47 (permalink)

Interesting Mark. Appreciate you posting the pic. My Rarlyl8 exhaust already has the pre-configured bung, so unless I want to cap that and drill and weld another one, I am stuck where I am.

There have to be a bunch of turbo owners with AFR sensors just after the turbo. What is the general consensus as to how long it should last? Mine lasted 14 months. (really only a year of driving since I was just finishing my engine out project this time last year.)

And while the differences in readings from after the turbo to before the turbo are documented, what is the real world difference when moving the sensor further away from the turbo, but still after the turbo?
Old 05-26-2016, 06:32 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #48 (permalink)
Large Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by speednme1 View Post
Jeff glad to see it worked out...that's what this forum is about
Rawknees your humor is "bonding"....lol...btw where's Mr. Paul lately...is he on time out
Hey Rey-

Nice to be noticed!

Been busy, 'tis all. And all Rawknees' talk VbelowV about er "rubbing off" just spooks me, so I maintain my distance!!!

Nothin new fer me here, and this place's been a bit of a snorefest since all the Black993 *bullsh!!t* so I've been off-grid mostly.

Btw, my WBO2's been mounted 45* from top/center of mah Zork fer maaaaany years & miles now sans nuke'age.

Btwbtw, Jeff - I too was getting wonky AFR readings once, turned out my sensor heater wire came unplugged @ the guage - sure scared the bejeebus out of me too!

| '01 ///M5 | '96 993 C2 cab | '05 S600 Sport - biturbo V12@Just Not Right 495rwhp / 612rwtq |
| '58 TR3A | '01 //S8 | '95 //S6 6gang | '88 ///M5 | '87 190E 2.3-16 |

Last edited by krasuskyp; 05-29-2016 at 09:41 AM..
Old 05-29-2016, 09:38 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #49 (permalink)
Mighty Meatlocker Turbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by krasuskyp View Post
Hey Rey-

Nice to be noticed!
Bromance?!?!

^^^

NTTAWWT !!!
Old 05-29-2016, 10:57 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #50 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff NJ View Post
Interesting Mark. Appreciate you posting the pic. My Rarlyl8 exhaust already has the pre-configured bung, so unless I want to cap that and drill and weld another one, I am stuck where I am.

There have to be a bunch of turbo owners with AFR sensors just after the turbo. What is the general consensus as to how long it should last? Mine lasted 14 months. (really only a year of driving since I was just finishing my engine out project this time last year.)

And while the differences in readings from after the turbo to before the turbo are documented, what is the real world difference when moving the sensor further away from the turbo, but still after the turbo?
I have a zork and my sensor is right after the turbo. Previously I had it similar to Marks (pre -zork). No difference in readings. Sensor (Bosch) has lasted about 7 yrs so far, mostly at WOT. I built a nomex/Al sandwich heat shield across the rear of the engine the sensor wires disappear into. I have a spare sensor I purchased at same time, expecting issues. Still in box.
Alan
83 SC, 82 930 (track) - Stock except for RarlyL8 race headers, RarlyL8 Zork, K27-7006, 22/28 T bars, 007 Fuel head, short 3&4 gears, NGK AFR, Greddy EBC (on the slippery slope), Wevo engine mounts, ERP rear camber adjust and mono balls, Tarret front monoball camber adjust, Elgin cams, 38mm ported heads, 964 IC. 380rwhp @ 0.8bar Apart from above, bone stock:-)
Old 06-06-2016, 12:30 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #51 (permalink)

Bringing this back from the dead. My sensor just died again.
Just over two years and maybe 5000 miles. So I guess Rey's heat cloth over the sensor and wire helped to double the life, it's still frustratingly short lived.

Is there a better brand of sensor that maybe lasts longer?
Which one do you have Alan that lasted 7 years?
Old 07-06-2018, 04:37 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #52 (permalink)

Mine is a Bosch. I can get the numbers for you in a day or two. I still have the original on after 10 yrs. BUTT, leaded fuel will kill them quick time. I will get some numbers for you in a day or two.
Alan
83 SC, 82 930 (track) - Stock except for RarlyL8 race headers, RarlyL8 Zork, K27-7006, 22/28 T bars, 007 Fuel head, short 3&4 gears, NGK AFR, Greddy EBC (on the slippery slope), Wevo engine mounts, ERP rear camber adjust and mono balls, Tarret front monoball camber adjust, Elgin cams, 38mm ported heads, 964 IC. 380rwhp @ 0.8bar Apart from above, bone stock:-)
Old 07-06-2018, 05:26 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #53 (permalink)

Thanks Alan. Let me know when you get a moment.

I found this one on Amazon. Different than the one I got two years ago and much cheaper too.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B01N5Q5MWL/ref=ox_sc_act_image_1?smid=A1SRTK152QQOHM&psc=1
Old 07-06-2018, 06:02 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #54 (permalink)

Just not at car right now. I bought a spare one, expecting to chew them out under extreme track conditions, - still in box. So I can get the numbers easy when I get to car/shed.
Alan
Old 07-06-2018, 06:07 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #55 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff NJ View Post
Thanks Alan. Let me know when you get a moment.

I found this one on Amazon. Different than the one I got two years ago and much cheaper too.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B01N5Q5MWL/ref=ox_sc_act_image_1?smid=A1SRTK152QQOHM&psc=1
That may be what I have. Let you know soon.
Alan
Old 07-06-2018, 10:34 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #56 (permalink)

OK, there is no serial number on the sensor body. But the packing slip gives some clues.
I purchased it from Ballenger Motorsports.
Their product code is SNSR-01012, and it is listed on the packing slip as Bosch LSU WB O2 sensor (UEGO).
Hopefully that helps - but it is looking like your Amazon product. Maybe cross check (if still listed) with Ballenger website.
Alan
Old 07-08-2018, 03:11 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #57 (permalink)

Innovate bung extension/heat sink I bought on eBay for a good price, and a home-made heat diffuser that wraps around the sensor body -
Id hate to see the rest of that Ebay invoice.
Old 07-08-2018, 04:59 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #58 (permalink)
Mighty Meatlocker Turbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by pkabush View Post
Innovate bung extension/heat sink I bought on eBay for a good price, and a home-made heat diffuser that wraps around the sensor body -

Id hate to see the rest of that Ebay invoice.
You're going to see more than the INvoice, 70'sBush, a whole (not, hole ) lotta mo'!!!
Old 07-08-2018, 10:59 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #59 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: