Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Brando

Garage
I've been following you're Porsche build on the you tube. It's been kinda funny. You're definitely learning as you go which is cool, come to us with questions is all I'm going to say...
Old 12-12-2017, 09:47 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #21 (permalink)
Brando

Garage
BTW I think boost coming on later than earlier might be a good thing with this build at least till the transmission is upgraded.
Old 12-12-2017, 09:48 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #22 (permalink)
I would rather be driving

Quote:
Originally Posted by quattrorunner View Post
BTW I think boost coming on later than earlier might be a good thing with this build at least till the transmission is upgraded.
YES! Absolutely. later and softer hit will save the transmission. Worst thing for a 915 is torque shock.

With the extra gear you will almost always be in boost with a little gear shift action. It's a fantastic combination if built correctly.
classicautowerks.com - EFI conversion parts
Old 12-12-2017, 05:24 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #23 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by quattrorunner View Post
I've been following you're Porsche build on the you tube. It's been kinda funny. You're definitely learning as you go which is cool, come to us with questions is all I'm going to say...
I may be overlooking it, but what channel/username?
Old 12-12-2017, 05:30 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #24 (permalink)

Garage
They are "Team Boosted" on YouTube
1976 911S Signature Edition - 3.2SSt (JE 98mm 9.5:1 pistons, 964 Cams, ARP Rod Bolts, Big Port SC Heads, 3.2 Carrera Manifold, ID725's, B&B Headers, TS HyperGate45 Gen V, TS RacePort, BW S360, AEM Infinity 506, E85)
IG: Signature_911
Old 12-15-2017, 10:42 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #25 (permalink)

Hey guys! Quick question:

My distributor has seen better days, the rebuild services are pricey and new examples are over a thousand bucks. I have Bitz Racing EFI kit that is being installed, its Megasquirt V3.0 hardware and software. I have and am familiar with the full version of TunerStudio.

How hard is the Ford EDIS system to install on these engines? I would need a new map for MS because the Bitz stock one is for a naturally aspirated motor with the stock ignition system.
Old 12-15-2017, 10:42 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #26 (permalink)

Garage
What exactly is wrong with the distributor? I went to a guy here in Anaheim that rebuilt mine for under $100, I ordered the bushings and whatnot from PartsKlassic. All in, it was around $110 for a complete rebuild.

If you want to add EDIS, you will need to add a crank trigger off the front pulley.
1976 911S Signature Edition - 3.2SSt (JE 98mm 9.5:1 pistons, 964 Cams, ARP Rod Bolts, Big Port SC Heads, 3.2 Carrera Manifold, ID725's, B&B Headers, TS HyperGate45 Gen V, TS RacePort, BW S360, AEM Infinity 506, E85)
Old 12-15-2017, 10:49 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #27 (permalink)
Brando

Garage
Call clewett or Turbokraft for a datributorless solution. I am going coil on plug unsure if your efi would support that. But the parts are available from both clewett and I believe Turbokraft.
Old 12-15-2017, 11:02 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #28 (permalink)

It is extremely easy to go with EDIS with megasquirt. The EDIS stuff is dirt cheap at a local auto dismantler. Donor vehicle is late 90s Ford Ranger, or explorer. Plug wires from a late 90 Ford Crown Victoria work well too. You will need a toothed wheel/crank pulley, and VR sensor. i got mine from Blank. I DID have an issue with my first crank pulley cracking in half, but i saw they have a new version now. It is fairly reliable. I was also able do do a coil on plug set up using 2 edis modules, and coils from a Honda CBR motorcycle. Obviously, Turbokraft, or Clewitt have what you need also, but my setup cost pennies on the dollar compared to those guys(No disrespect intended)
BTW, i started with the BITZ megasquirt set up, but when i went turbocharged i ended up ditching the BITZ ecu for a Microsquirt, it is quite a bit more advanced than the megasquirt 1 and you have much more control, not to mention the ability to run spark also. The BITZ is pretty much maxed out right out of the box without upgrading.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hill3312 View Post
Hey guys! Quick question:

My distributor has seen better days, the rebuild services are pricey and new examples are over a thousand bucks. I have Bitz Racing EFI kit that is being installed, its Megasquirt V3.0 hardware and software. I have and am familiar with the full version of TunerStudio.

How hard is the Ford EDIS system to install on these engines? I would need a new map for MS because the Bitz stock one is for a naturally aspirated motor with the stock ignition system.

Last edited by scottrx7tt; 12-15-2017 at 11:17 AM..
Old 12-15-2017, 11:11 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #29 (permalink)
I would rather be driving

Tony sells a great kit (Bitz racing) but his ECU is not configured for ignition control. EDIS is very easy to add to Megasquirt, the parts are cheap and there are many examples of 911/930s running with this setup.

Just get the component parts, solder them in and configure the ignition. You will have to MAP the ignition in the car. Since you are mapping fuel for the turbo this is done at the same time.
classicautowerks.com - EFI conversion parts
Old 12-15-2017, 11:12 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #30 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottrx7tt View Post
BTW, i started with the BITZ megasquirt set up, but when i went turbocharged i ended up ditching the BITZ ecu for a Microsquirt, it is quite a bit more advanced than the megasquirt 1 and you have much more control, not to mention the ability to run spark also. The BITZ is pretty much maxed out right out of the box without upgrading.
I believe Bitz has upgraded the hardware they give you. The box says Megasquirt V3.0, which I'm assuming is more advanced than the MS1 the kit originally shipped with. I'm going to shoot you a message, your build seems similar to mine.

Old 12-15-2017, 11:34 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #31 (permalink)

Just did some more reading. It looks like its MS1 v3.0... So no ignition control? Would I have to upgrade to MS2 or microsquirt to run EDIS?

- I am going to the junkyard to grab all the EDIS stuff regardless. It's dirt cheap, I'm getting mine from a Ford Aerostar.
Old 12-15-2017, 12:14 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #32 (permalink)

Garage
Haha, I stumbled across you guys on YT. Have you sorted the engine tin issue? Get some that accommodates the turbo.

Tippy offers great advice.

Good luck
www.stauningwhisky.dk
Old 12-16-2017, 01:30 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #33 (permalink)

Garage
Hill,

Megasquirt V3.0 is the circuit board version, which has the individual components soldered. The V3.57 board is the surface mount version. The Blitz kit still has a MS1 processor. It can easily upgraded to a MS2 processor for more functions. And if you want to go full bore the V3.0 board can be upgraded to a MS3 processor where the MS3X card can also be added, but the MS3 will require a larger case enclosure and the MS3X will require an additional 37 pin cable. With MS3 you can add the MS knock card to monitor engine knock.
Old 12-16-2017, 09:09 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #34 (permalink)
Brando

Garage
That’s insane! Why not buy one that works?
Will they take it back so you could maybe do something that will have everything already? Maybe eBay that *****. Don’t you have enough to contend with? KISS makes less headaches. However if you can make the edis work separately I guess that’s cool. But since you’re there already why not make the jump to something(aem, electromotive, many others) that are out of the box ready. I got a kit with everything pretty reasonably.
Old 12-16-2017, 09:37 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #35 (permalink)

Hey guys -- Update!

Engine tin is complete and we're ready to test fit everything in the car. We're pretty sure the turbo has enough room but better safe than sorry.

I picked up EDIS6 and the coil pack from the Junkyard yesterday. I can't say for certain that we will go this route, but it's nice to have the parts in case we do. The more I think about it, the more I like the idea of distributorless ignition. I figure I could sell my dizzy and that would pay for the MS upgrade and extras I may need.

I will be needing some help with a base map from a similar car running EDIS and Megasquirt to get started. If anybody can refer me to people who can help with that, I'd appreciate it! Regardless, I'll be chipping away at this build at least 3 times a week.
Old 12-16-2017, 12:40 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #36 (permalink)

Garage
Don't forget to make a bracket to support that monster! The weight of that turbo will fatigue the metal over time and bad things could happen. Do it now before you get the engine back in the car to make your life easier.

Some pictures for inspiration:

Old 12-18-2017, 09:29 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #37 (permalink)

I'm still trying to figure out why the EDIS modules?

Is it something about COP versus CNP? With a 3-wire COP and providing the +12v separately, just logic from the MS3 can't you use COP directly?

I've been reading lots about using my microsquirt v3 for ignition and its pretty confusing, but it seems I can run wasted spark CNP directly at least, without EDIS.
Old 12-18-2017, 02:41 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #38 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hill3312 View Post
The more I think about it, the more I like the idea of distributorless ignition.
I'm not sure why you'd go anything but distributorless. When I rebuilt the engine in my 930 I decided early on that I wasn't willing to gamble the life of a very expensive engine by trusting rubber vacuum lines and mechanical weights to pull out timing on boost.

_
Old 12-18-2017, 03:32 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #39 (permalink)
Chain fence eating turbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by flightlead404 View Post
I'm still trying to figure out why the EDIS modules?

Is it something about COP versus CNP? With a 3-wire COP and providing the +12v separately, just logic from the MS3 can't you use COP directly?

I've been reading lots about using my microsquirt v3 for ignition and its pretty confusing, but it seems I can run wasted spark CNP directly at least, without EDIS.
It is/was the easiest to configure and dead reliable back in MS's infancy plus dirt cheap.

Once you get it sorted with EDIS, jumping to COP or CNP provides better fire power and aesthetically pleasing installation.
Old 12-18-2017, 04:41 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #40 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: