Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 3.00 average.
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Mighty Meatlocker Turbo

^^^

JustTheTIPpy, who can resist all that megaSquirting, right?!?!

Butt seriously though, thanks for the input (not like THAT!!!) - sounds great and I'll check it out!
Old 06-15-2016, 08:12 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #21 (permalink)
Mighty Meatlocker Turbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by s5uewf View Post
since swapping to EFI I have had a reliable 930. Costly, relative to not swapping, but I can drive anywhere and I can tune it with a laptop. Nice. Good Luck with your decision and enjoy your ride, either way!
Really good point(s), Emery. It is definitely not fun to have one of these things shut down while scooting along in heavy, highway traffic; especially when the heat/humidity index is 106 at the time!
Old 06-15-2016, 08:22 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #22 (permalink)
Chain fence eating turbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rawknees'Turbo View Post
^^^

JustTheTIPpy, who can resist all that megaSquirting, right?!?!

Butt seriously though, thanks for the input (not like THAT!!!) - sounds great and I'll check it out!
If you have time, just read up on the manuals and see if going off the slope is in your interest.

Key points is understanding noise/EMI and grounding. Without understanding these topics, it will never run right.
Old 06-15-2016, 08:30 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #23 (permalink)
Mighty Meatlocker Turbo

^^^

Well, I know how to turn an aircooled 911 into a refrigeration transport vehicle, so maybe that would translate into learning about EFI ?!?!

I'll read-up on the manuals - I know I've said that in the past, butt then get the car running right and put it off, butt my eventual goal is a BOSS EFI system, as I have always been jealous of you big horsepower boyz, and now that Kenik is going to make the leap, weelllll, I just can't sit back and let that salacious affront go unchecked indefinitely!!!
Old 06-15-2016, 08:40 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #24 (permalink)
3 restos WIP = psycho

Bring it on, princess

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

- 1965 911
- 1969 911S
- 1980 911SC Targa
- 1979 930
Old 06-15-2016, 08:45 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #25 (permalink)
3 restos WIP = psycho

Btw, I'm going AEM Infinity. I want reliable knock control and haven't heard of much luck on MS with that.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

- 1965 911
- 1969 911S
- 1980 911SC Targa
- 1979 930
Old 06-15-2016, 08:46 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #26 (permalink)

Mighty Meatlocker Turbo

^^^

I can't wait to see how you plan to make EFI look like MFI, bub!!!
Old 06-15-2016, 08:51 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #27 (permalink)
Turbofrog

I already have MS3pro but I'm still trying to get the best out of CIS. I have deleted all unecessary emission crap from my engine so its a bit more easy to troubleshoot. Only original gadget I run is WUR and that is BLwur. So I only have ignition and fueling to sort if I get problems. Only problems so far I've had in a long time are spark plugs. Those cheap copper plugs just dont handle my MSD spark? Couple of broken porcelaine units after now with stock bosch platiniums no failures.

I have my fuel pumps switched too so I can test both of them separately. Also pugs are doubled at this time and that made it easy to find a bad plug. Unused twinplugs is sucky but maybe I will rig up my mspro for twin spark first to see what that does for CIS.
79 930: HX40S#16, MS3pro+ID1000+044+E85, Ignition: 123/TUNE/MSD6A, True split BB, 2*turbosmart38
Old 06-15-2016, 09:11 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #28 (permalink)
Mighty Meatlocker Turbo

^^^

Smurf, similar to you, I have also eliminated most of the unnecessary stuff over the course of the last 9-10 years - the decel valve, all emissions related components, both devices that prevent distributor vacuum advance at start-up, etc. (still have the AAV in place, though it almost never functions in my hot climate), and have a Leask WUR that I really like. You're right, it definitely helps to have that stuff gone when it comes to troubleshooting (not to mention the engine runs better without interference from those things).

I like the switched fuel pumps idea - both for troubleshooting and also as theft prevention. I've done Shadetree's fuel pumps wiring mod, so could easily now run switches into the cabin - should have done that long ago.
Old 06-15-2016, 10:08 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #29 (permalink)
Turbofrog

AAV --> hand throttle --> retroWIN : )
79 930: HX40S#16, MS3pro+ID1000+044+E85, Ignition: 123/TUNE/MSD6A, True split BB, 2*turbosmart38
Old 06-15-2016, 10:50 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #30 (permalink)
Mighty Meatlocker Turbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by smurfbus View Post
AAV --> hand throttle --> retroWIN : )
Sounds great to me!

I would also like to retro-fit a heater flapper lever in place of the autoheat assembly - still works in my car, though I seldom use it (almost no need for heat here, for me), and I've seen that they sell for pretty good money on eBay = more WIN!
Old 06-15-2016, 11:34 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #31 (permalink)
Turbofrog

I have removed those controls too, only use driver side fan outlet. I have an eberspaecher diesel heater for colder time but I havent installet it yet. Then I could remove the other side too to get more clearance for turbo piping.
Old 06-16-2016, 12:19 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #32 (permalink)

Garage
The other covetness of EFI is the sano wiring harness. If you saw the videos Pistol Pete put up about his TK EFI project (and he still owes the final one with the Garrett 35R, ahem), the rewire was awesome. Having very firsthand knowledge now of the wiring of these cars, it's amazing to me that they even run. That paint by numbers harness just clicking on to all the EFI bits was the most impressive element of that series IMO.
Old 06-16-2016, 05:10 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #33 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tippy View Post
Key points is understanding noise/EMI and grounding. Without understanding these topics, it will never run right.
Amen. This is so so true !! I am just finishing up migration to MS3 (from MS1) and ended up redoing all my grounding, noise prevention, etc.
Old 06-16-2016, 05:50 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #34 (permalink)

And one more thing to check, even though I don't think this is the issue -
I ran into an intermittent fuel pump issue that turned out to be the darn Red relay in the front trunk. The relay checked out from continuity POV but depending on time of day, temperature, humidity, .... it may not pass enough current to fire up the pump. And this can happen while I am driving.
I have exact same issue with another Black relay that I rewired to power WBO2 and same thing happened.
Never thought a relay can go bad in this manner but then these are close to 30 year old electronics...
Old 06-16-2016, 05:53 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #35 (permalink)
Slantnose from HELL

Most people tend to think the positive (+) cable is the dangerous lead, when in fact DC current flows from negative to positive where as AC is positive to negative. That being said it is the ground on a DC current that is the most important lead. Poor grounds will cause all hell to break loose if they are not clean with a good contact. Keeping signal wires away from power wires help keep noise away.

Besides.... Can you guys imagine the plithera of knowledge Rawknees well spew from the EFI experience!???
Old 06-16-2016, 06:50 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #36 (permalink)
Mighty Meatlocker Turbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by GJF View Post
Besides.... Can you guys imagine the plithera of knowledge Rawknees well spew from the EFI experience!???
Umbrellas and quick reflexes required, no doubt!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hobieboy View Post
And one more thing to check, even though I don't think this is the issue -
I ran into an intermittent fuel pump issue that turned out to be the darn Red relay in the front trunk. The relay checked out from continuity POV but depending on time of day, temperature, humidity, .... it may not pass enough current to fire up the pump. And this can happen while I am driving.
I have exact same issue with another Black relay that I rewired to power WBO2 and same thing happened.
Never thought a relay can go bad in this manner but then these are close to 30 year old electronics...
Good tip (not THAT tip!!!) on actually checking the relays with a multimeter. I have a mix of original and new ones, and have read that the newer ones (all brands, including Porsche) are garbage compared to the originals and do not last long.

Last edited by Rawknees'Turbo; 06-16-2016 at 08:25 AM..
Old 06-16-2016, 08:21 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #37 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by speednme1 View Post
Hey Dryknees...I had something similar happen to me when I was on cis...turned out to be a bad coil...which then killed my MSD.
Same with a 78 930 I had, once upon a time. Problem started in very hot and humid weather. Would start with a push and afterwards when cool with the starter. I still have the defective coil and MSD. Both will still start up a 930 if plugged in when cold.

Last edited by voitureltd; 06-16-2016 at 10:15 AM..
Old 06-16-2016, 09:45 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #38 (permalink)

I bought new coils from PartsKlassic, made by them and cheaper than Bosch. Also had Bob Ashcroft (thru Pelican) go through both cdi boxes.
As fas as efi, there's guy down your way who posts here, that spec'd out a MS efi set up for me for a very reasonable price. He also offered to supply the set up maps. He's done a few 930's. The only reason I held off is there's no one up my way that could dial it in. I'd rather have someone who know's what they are doing vs me torturing myself.
Old 06-16-2016, 11:16 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #39 (permalink)

Waiting for the phone to ring, 'Knees! ;-)
email: info@turbokraft.com
http://www.facebook.com/TurboKraft - http://www.instagram.com/TurboKraft
Old 06-16-2016, 01:23 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #40 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: