Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 3.00 average.
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Chain fence eating turbo

1st off, excuse the garage and filthy car. There was major flooding going on recently, and I got caught in a big downpour one day leaving work. Half step forward yesterday, got the farthest brackets made. I'm going to lower about an inch, so slight tweaking of brackets.

Last edited by Tippy; 06-22-2016 at 04:28 AM..
Old 06-22-2016, 04:25 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #81 (permalink)
Mighty Meatlocker Turbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Kontak View Post

Rawknees dissin' his woman below..........

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5LGEiIL1__s
Dats' right - my pimp hand is strong, beeeeiiiiiiisssccchhhhh!!

Looking good up thar, Cory (the custom intercooler install - NOT you!). BUTT, I notice that you will need to re-locate those coils, bub (bring on the a/c!)!

Oh ya', no appologies for a dirty car; just means that you do not have garage queen syndrome! Plus, your garage looks spotless compared to Brandon's!!!

Last edited by Rawknees'Turbo; 06-22-2016 at 10:11 AM..
Old 06-22-2016, 10:08 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #82 (permalink)
Chain fence eating turbo

Oh yeah, coilpack is history. About to put some fire-cracking Chevy truck individual coils on.
Old 06-22-2016, 07:13 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #83 (permalink)
Mighty Meatlocker Turbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tippy View Post
Oh yeah, coilpack is history. About to put some fire-cracking Chevy truck individual coils on.
Like a boss!
Old 06-22-2016, 09:21 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #84 (permalink)
Chain fence eating turbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rawknees'Turbo View Post
Like a boss!
Yep, as Chris Rock says in Madagascar, "it's crackle lacking!"
Old 06-23-2016, 04:23 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #85 (permalink)
Mighty Meatlocker Turbo

Okay, so after several months of on-again, off again (not like THAT ) work on the car, I've finally gotten it back on the road and running better than ever.

I can't say for certain what caused the highway stall shenanigans detailed in my opening post as I replaced so many ignition components at once.

1) had Bosch CDI rebuilt by Bob Ashlock (thanks to Ken - gsxrken - for that suggestion) - great, fast service and excellent communication.

2) replaced entire distributor coaxial cable - originally just planned to replace a section closest to the distributor using the available, shortie section of wire and Dennis' (timmy2) install kit (another excellent guy to deal with), but found that much more of the wire was damaged than I originally thought, so ordered some appropriate sized wire from Amazon (B. Ashlock advised regarding size/type), ran that from the CDI plug, though the wire harness sheath and then installed new, short section of Porsche wire to that using Dennis's install kit. Works perfectly, but was fairly difficult to do. BTW - this involves removing the distributor.

3) New coil (replica Bosch) from ************ - really neat piece and an excellent alternative to the garbage Bosch silver coils.

4) New cut-off delay relay - first time that feature has worked, but no real run-on to speak of so I would say that means my injectors are not leaking following shutdown. Interesting though, that for the fist time in almost ten years, my fuel pumps energize for a quick second with just the key in the on position - not sure if that is due to this relay or the yellow, overboost relay (also new).

5) New overboost relay (the yellow one).

6) Opened, inspected and cleaned pins of speed relay under driver's seat (the rev limiter on later model Turbos)

7) Every electrical connection I could spot that has to do with ignition or fuel pumps function was cleaned and re-assembled with silver conductive grease.

* While I was in there (not like THAT ):

1) Replaced cracked and degraded gearbox support bushings with those sweet, two-piece ones from Rebel Racing - ordered online and had them in about three days. Removed old bushings with propane torch.

2) Replaced all fuel delivery and return hoses that go from the firewall to the fuel pump, fuel distributor, and fuel accumulator. That was a pretty big job with the engine in the car and wanting to take care not to damage the tunnel lines in the process. All of the fittings were in good shape so I just took the hoses to a local, old school hydraulic shop that I've used for around 20 years and had them re-hosed there with appropriate injection hose.

All in all a lot of work, but am happy with the results so far (pulls like a freight train, putters around just fine, and idles perfectly with great AFRs in all conditions).

A big thanks to Jeff (JeffNJ) for tolerating my many text messages about this, and for helping sort out a coil wiring situation where I dumbly did not label my "removal drawing" correctly, and also verifying the orientation of the Rebel bushings.

And another big thanks to Kevin for his general, text camaraderie and encouragement the past couple of months.

***forum dating*** I know!!!!

PS - EFI is still in my future - I have serious size envy of the guys with the big ( ) power, EFI builds!

Last edited by Rawknees'Turbo; 10-27-2016 at 07:21 PM..
Old 10-27-2016, 06:12 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #86 (permalink)

930T Owner

Garage
I suspect once you ride in my car the EFI project will get pushed up
Old 10-27-2016, 06:27 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #87 (permalink)
Mighty Meatlocker Turbo

^^^

As Paul would say, "duuuhhhh?!?!"!!!

PS - am really looking forward to that errrr, ummmmm, "ride"!
Old 10-27-2016, 06:29 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #88 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hams930T View Post
I suspect once you ride in my car the EFI project will get pushed up

I bet ronnies EFI plans won't be the only thing pushed up after that ride...
Old 10-27-2016, 06:37 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #89 (permalink)

So Ronnie, Rawknees, will you please just come out of the closet and get it over with? Or do you need a safe space?
Old 10-27-2016, 06:43 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #90 (permalink)
Mighty Meatlocker Turbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by LJ851 View Post
I bet ronnies EFI plans won't be the only thing pushed up after that ride...
Chris should probably do a Scotch Bright treatment to the interior beforehand!
Old 10-27-2016, 06:55 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #91 (permalink)
3 restos WIP = psycho

Asphinctersaywut?

- 1965 911
- 1969 911S
- 1980 911SC Targa
- 1979 930
Old 10-27-2016, 07:12 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #92 (permalink)

Great to see its up and running Rawknees!
Maybe a video or a couple pics (of the car you perv) would be appropriate?

I wanna see that bad boy at full roar!
Old 10-27-2016, 07:16 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #93 (permalink)
Chain fence eating turbo

Good news Ronnie!!
Old 10-27-2016, 07:25 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #94 (permalink)
Mighty Meatlocker Turbo

Yep, really happy thus far and think I've driven it enough now since completing repairs as to not jinx myself with chest beating. Funny thing was, about eight weeks ago, I had it running, messaged Jeff with "boooo yaaaaa" commentary, and it quit, and would not re-start, after about 10 minutes of idling! That'll learn me!

Jeff, I'm "asphinctersaywhut" (ha ha - Kenik La' Freak) and have never taken a moving video of anything or ever set up a youtube account (I'm lame, I know)! Mebbe I needs to learn some of dat' shart!
Old 10-27-2016, 07:38 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #95 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rawknees'Turbo View Post
Yep, really happy thus far and think I've driven it enough now since completing repairs as to not jinx myself with chest beating. Funny thing was, about eight weeks ago, I had it running, messaged Jeff with "boooo yaaaaa" commentary, and it quit, and would not re-start, after about 10 minutes of idling! That'll learn me!

Jeff, I'm "asphinctersaywhut" (ha ha - Kenik La' Freak) and have never taken a moving video of anything or ever set up a youtube account (I'm lame, I know)! Mebbe I needs to learn some of dat' shart!
If only there were a website that you could enter what you were searching to learn and it would bring up eleventy billion sites with exactly what you wanted!!

If I had that, I would name it loogle. No, maybe I would name it foogle. Maybe hoogle? Nevermind, that would never work.
Old 10-27-2016, 08:03 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #96 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: