Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 3.00 average.
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Mighty Meatlocker Turbo

EFI is Sounding Better All the Time!

AKA - Fuggen CIS/K-Jet Volume Deuce (as in "just dropped a deuce")!

Well, I got about six months of trouble free driving out of the biyatch after sorting various CIS and ignition system problems (including overboost circuit), butt today, about half way into a 70 mile highway commute, the engine started to run very rough while cruising along at 80mph, felt like it would actually stall at any minute, so I quickly found an exit ramp and the fookin thing stalled while coasting down it . . . funny thing, too, is that it would actually re-fire when I popped the clutch while still rolling, but would not stay running when I came to a stop (no matter the amount of throttle blipping).

It then would not re-start (crank but not even think about firing). I bring a lot of spares, and know all of the usual things to check, and after swapping relays, testing the overboost switch, unhooking the fuel head safety switch to see if pumps would run with with key (they did), listen for CDI screech (it did), etc., it still would not start. BUTT as I was just about to give up and call a tow truck, the fooking thing started and ran perfectly all the way back home (I just putted, though, so no real test). I've started it numerous times since getting home, and it idles perfectly.

Obviously I have no faith in it right now, and don't believe that anything fixes itself via magic, so have to make a plan for things to check/test - such as CDI box (it's original), and replace the distributor signal wire . . . maybe coil is going bad?!?!

Or just say "fark that" and call Chris with my CC in hand and order some EFI goodness! Dayumn, even Kenik-da'-Freak announced he was converting to EFI, so there's peer pressure to factor in as well. Again I say "daaayyyuuummmmnnnn"!!!

Any troubleshooting jumping out that I haven't mentioned?

Last edited by Rawknees'Turbo; 06-15-2016 at 03:46 PM..
Old 06-15-2016, 03:42 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Garage
Man...good thing you made it home without relying on a tow truck. I never owned a CIS 930 so I can't help you. But just wanted to say you're always welcome to come over to the dark side...nah...that don't sound right...make it blessed side of EFI!!
Old 06-15-2016, 04:11 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
Mighty Meatlocker Turbo

Mike, at least I have knee pads with me at all times!

Yep, glad to avoid the tow, and also really glad that the car didn't quit while on a sholderless ramp in the Dallas mixmaster - that would really suck right thar!!!
Old 06-15-2016, 04:14 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Garage
Wow...someone just gave you one star...eff that...I'm going to give 5 stars to balance him/her out!!!

Anyhow...great idea on having knee pads around. It's nice to keep your knees/pants clean while kneeling while trouble shooting.
Old 06-15-2016, 04:33 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Hey Dryknees...I had something similar happen to me when I was on cis...turned out to be a bad coil...which then killed my MSD.
Old 06-15-2016, 04:42 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
Mighty Meatlocker Turbo

Thanks, your Reyness - will look into that, and know not to bother with buying a new Bosch coil as they are certifiable junk!

Mike, one star was probably meant to indicate that I am the one and only staroliciousness on that thar person's mind!!!
Old 06-15-2016, 04:49 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

3 restos WIP = psycho

It just means that Rawknees only cares about the stinky star between others' cheeks.

- 1965 911
- 1969 911S
- 1980 911SC Targa
- 1979 930
Old 06-15-2016, 05:06 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)
Mighty Meatlocker Turbo

Ha! Well done (you chowderheaded choad)!!!!!
Old 06-15-2016, 05:09 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rawknees'Turbo View Post
Thanks, your Reyness
Lol...very clever
Old 06-15-2016, 05:11 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)
3 restos WIP = psycho

This is a very clever bunch

- 1965 911
- 1969 911S
- 1980 911SC Targa
- 1979 930
Old 06-15-2016, 05:16 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)
Mighty Meatlocker Turbo

Forum dating, Kenik?!?!? Not that there's anything wrong with that!!!
Old 06-15-2016, 05:21 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Garage
since swapping to EFI I have had a reliable 930. Costly, relative to not swapping, but I can drive anywhere and I can tune it with a laptop. Nice. Good Luck with your decision and enjoy your ride, either way!

1988 930 coupe - Silver Metallic
3.3L w/GT35R, B&B Headers, RarlyL8 muffler, TurboKraft IC, Tial WG, tecGT based phased sequential EFI & ignition, Wevo shifter/coupler, ...
Old 06-15-2016, 05:35 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

And... with EFI there are no special o-rings in a miserable old CIS fuel head rotting away from the ethanol in todays common E10 pump gas.

It's just a matter of time before all CIS fuel heads will be destroyed by ethanol corrosion and rotted metering slit o-rings.
Old 06-15-2016, 06:05 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)
Crotchety Old Bastard

Garage
This doesn't sound like a CIS problem, but rather ignition/electricity related.

Had a guy a couple years ago with a no-start in a parking lot. Paid the tow truck fee and it fired up when home and drove off the tow truck. He brought it over to figure out what was wrong. First thing I did was start checking electrical connections. Got to the CDI plug and it fell out in my hand. Plugged it up and he never had another problem.

Check all your connections, fuel pumps, relays, etc. first to eliminate that as a problem. Hate to see you spend $10-$30K on a bad fuse.
Old 06-15-2016, 06:37 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)
3 restos WIP = psycho

He is just looking for an excuse

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

- 1965 911
- 1969 911S
- 1980 911SC Targa
- 1979 930
Old 06-15-2016, 06:50 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)

If the car is an '86 or newer there may be a speed relay under the left seat. The electrical plug on it will cause shut downs and no running if it's dirty or corroded. It's the relay farthest to the left.
It also has the white wire going to it.
Old 06-15-2016, 06:55 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)

Garage
CDI box would be my bet at this point. Especially with it reviving itself after a brief cool down and the fact you had fuel pumps running. I believe the speed relay JF mentioned would knock out the fuel pumps not the ignition, but I'm hesitant to dispute his knowledge of these cars.
Bob Ashlock redid my CDI box for $200- after 30 years it's good PM and peace of mind.
Old 06-15-2016, 07:30 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)
930T Owner

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by JFairman View Post
If the car is an '86 or newer there may be a speed relay under the left seat. The electrical plug on it will cause shut downs and no running if it's dirty or corroded. It's the relay farthest to the left.
It also has the white wire going to it.
My car is an '86 and had the relay you speak of. I had a similar problem to Ronnie once. I messed with the relay to make sure it was seated good and never had a problem again.

Of course I really won't have that issue now that I am going EFI....
2016 Cayman GT4
2012 911 Cup
Old 06-15-2016, 07:31 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)

Mighty Meatlocker Turbo

Brian, I've checked, cleaned and used silver conductive grease on all of the connections associated with the CDI, fuel pump relays, overboost circuit, etc. (as detailed in past "cough cough" threads ), but will go through all that stuff again. And agreed, seems like ignition related with the "rolling start" deal I described in my opening post. Thanks for the help.

Jim (and Chris Hamsammich), wow, that is one component I have never checked, although I am well aware of potential problems with it thanks to you posting about it in the past, Jim - will check it and a big thanks for the reminder (it's an '87)!

Ken, I've been having the same dirty thoughts about the CDI box!

PS - Chris, you and yer monster EFI machine suck, bro!!!!!

Last edited by Rawknees'Turbo; 06-15-2016 at 07:50 PM..
Old 06-15-2016, 07:33 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)
Chain fence eating turbo

Rawknee's, if I had EFI advise, it would be to go MSPro. This is MegaSquirt's (name is catchy, is it not?!?!) answer to OEM quality case, connectors, etc., with super fast clock speeds from dual processors and second to none tuning software called TunerStudio.

There's a huge advantage of going Pro vs lesser models - that is tech support. My understanding is, is the MS staff will go to near ends if you have a problem to solve it.

Now, with that said, I am part of the MegaSquirt/MSExtra Facebook page. There are some straight up EFI geniuses on there with one installer who runs a big tuning facility and part of some big race teams.

When I post something, I'll have 30 responses in an hour. My last post led to 200 responses. Amazing.

Point is, EFI is a leaning curve. Having a village to help you is the only way. BTDT, got the T shirt.

Also, there's a lot of 'squirters here to give you a base tune to getting driving immediately after install, firmware upload, and tune upload.
Old 06-15-2016, 08:02 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #20 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: