Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
Scratchin my head on oil leak out of tailpipe and Turbo

ok, so here is the quick and dirty. After some vigorous driving (as we do), I started slowly finding large amounts of oil in the intercooler, culminating in oil shooting out of both sides of the turbo, as well as when i left it parked, it poured a 12 inch puddle out of my zork tube. I figured the seals were bad on the turbo (K27-HF, Only 1k miles on it from Rarelyl8 *he is not at fault*) so I swapped it out with my old but known good K27-7006. within 100 miles, same result.

I am going to have my turbos rebuilt and checked, but obviously I dont want to ruin them AGAIN when I reinstall. also: as my original turbo rebuilder choice, Evergreen here in FLA, was in a really bad bike crash and can't really fix anything for a while, does anyone have any recommendations? I heard Durabilt was good.....

Here is where we are at:
- Engine was rebuilt by a very reputable builder 1500 miles ago, runs awesome.
- checked scavenge pump with the suck from a painters cup method, seems fine.
- 2 Turbos, both with same problem, doubt it was a bad Turbo.
- After rebuild, switched to Rarelyl8 headers, so had to use FABSPEED non-vented oil tank under the turbo.

here is where I am at.
- maybe the scavenge pump is not sucking fast enough
- could the oil tank be pressurizing and backing up into the system through the turbo seals?
- I noticed the oil catch tank sits about 3mm from the exhaust header, could it be boiling or foaming in there, making it back up? I probably need to have it cut and adjusted outward a bit anyway.
- Do I need to add a vent to my turbo oil tank and run it to a catch can? surely that is only a bandaid to cover the real issue.

Anyone else had this? my engine guy has used dozens of these over the years and never had an issue before.

Old 06-22-2016, 06:59 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
I had the same issue when I modified my scavenge vent system on my turbos. Come to find out the pump was weak and not priming itself on a regular basis. Changed out pump and no more issues but I think having a vented scavenge tank is a good idea.
Old 06-22-2016, 07:09 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Garage
hmmmm. ok, thanks. Still want some more input, but thats a good starting point.
Old 06-22-2016, 07:14 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
Forced Induction Junkie

Garage
The builder may have forgotten to put the ball bearing back into the fitting back by the oil pressure switch (it is located back by the oil breather). The ball bearing acts as a check valve and restrictor to the oil line going to the turbo. Left out the amount of oil flow at higher engine speeds, will overwhelm the turbo with oil.
The other possibility is a small vacuum leak in the suction line between the turbo sump tank and the turbo sump pump.

Werk I Zuffenhausen 3.3l/330BHP Engine with Sonderwunsch Cams, FabSpeed Headers, Kokeln IC, Twin Plugged Electromotive Crankfire, Tial Wastegate(0.8 Bar), K27 Hybrid Turbo, Ruf Twin-tip Muffler, Fikse FM-5's 8&10x17, 8:41 R&P
Old 06-25-2016, 05:54 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Tags
evergreen , turbo rebuild